Author Topic: Analyzing our rookies: my take on Bill Walker  (Read 6846 times)

Analyzing our rookies: my take on Bill Walker
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
When it was reported that the NBA Champs had grabbed Kansas State’s sophomore Bill Walker for cash considerations, I’m pretty sure that was the favourite draft night moment for many Celtics fans – at least in these board there was a vocal majority wanting him to be drafted with the #30.

While I don’t dislike picking him in the 2nd round – quite the contrary, it’s the kind of gamble I appreciate and we can afford in our current situation - I’m not as entirely sold as many over here and I’m happy we didn’t wasted the 1st round pick with him. I’ll try to explain why, identifying what I personally see as gnawing flaws in Walker’s game :

His shooting mechanics are a mess. I’m not a “shooting form” nazi, I’m far from being a “purist” (I myself had a very good-looking shooting form but was such a lousy shooter that I could rarely hit the basket, in spite of mine textbook mechanics). If a player has unorthodox shooting mechanics, I’m not worried a bit as long as he displays consistency and his shot is accurate. But Walker doesn’t do either of these. I’ve read lots of analysis in draft sites stating that his shooting skills have been improving and his mechanics being cleaned up blablabla, but I never saw that. His lack of elevation is probably the “best” part of his jump-shot and that says something about his arms work. One can argue he’s not exactly a terrible shooter, that he can hit some big shots in any given night. I agree, but he has to rebuild his mechanics or otherwise he’ll never be more than a streaky and inconsistent jump-shooter in the NBA. He doesn’t need to become Ray Allen, but he needs a reliable mid-range jumper, particularly coming off the dribble, to keep his defenders honest. He doesn’t need a beautiful stroke, but he needs a jumper with more elevation and to release the ball higher (and maybe slower, if that helps him) in order to make up for his lack of height as well as some consistent mechanics that make him comfortable, even if it doesn’t translate into the prettiest jumper. 

I’ve read lots of praise for his slashing abilities, but I see a player that when he drives drops his head and doesn't see the floor well.  Also, I don’t think he has a great first step, and that’s evident seeing how sometimes he struggles to close out shooters in the defensive side when he’s help-defending. I think Bill Walker needs to develop some change-of-pace, stop-n-go moves to be an effective slasher in the NBA. Step jabs, turnarounds, that kind of things. Paul Pierce can help here. His dribbling and ballhandling are also very subpar. He bounces the ball too far away from his body and he has the bad habit of keeping a high dribble. He’s not good changing directions while driving, perhaps as a consequence of his knee injuries. In college he was able to overpower opponents with his athleticism, explosiveness and body strength, using the 2 dribble power-drive, but he’ll face far more athletic and better defenders in the NBA, as well as serious help defense in the lane. In the NBA, he’ll need more “trickery and deception moves” in his penetrating skills in order to score.  Walker is a reasonable finisher around the rim, although his technique and touch is only ok, but he compensates that being fearless, a ferocious dunker and having good body-control in the air.

I see Walker as one of those players who frequently think “Ok, now that I have the ball on my hands I’m attacking the rim and there’s nothing you can do to stop me”. I like that attitude - fans tend to love it, but the sad truth is that this kind of mindset is only effective when we’re talking about phenomenal players like our own Captain. Walker is not on that level (at least not yet), and sometimes he… tries too hard, taking contested shot after contested shot when he’s missing them, instead of helping the team doing other things. It’s a pity, because when he’s not in that kind of “mental zone”, he looks a smart player, an accurate passer, competent enough reading the defense and taking advantage of double-teams on his team-mates. But it happens too much.

He takes very large steps when driving and running off the ball. That’s good, but not always, because sometimes he finds himself in trouble reading and reacting to screens and very recurrently he gets off balance when the ball arrives to his hands when cutting. Maybe he should consider lowering and shortening his steps. He should also stop staring at the ball when coming off of cuts. Once in the air he has great body control and strength; contact doesn’t bother him.

He’s very good posting up for a SF. I think he has a better footwork in the post that most analysts are giving him credit for. Of  course he could use a couple of additional inches here,  but considering his strength, leaping ability and the fact that he seems to enjoy playing in the post, I think it’s one of his more undervalued assets. He’s terrific playing screen/rolls in the lane. He’s also a very good screener, hitting his opponents hard. Sometimes he looks like a PF in a SG body.

Defensively, Walker is a mixed bag. He has a very good and quick basic defensive stance, although sometimes he losses focus and doesn’t hold it during the entire possession through the game. As happens in the offensive side, he tends to overplay frequently, gambling too much and then having trouble going back to position. He’s okay fighting screens when he’s focused. Sometimes he contests the outside shot with the wrong hand, a bad habit that is also visible in his shot-blocking attempts. Generally speaking, he’s got the effort, the awareness and the quickness to be a good defender, but he wastes his athleticism due to his tendency to play out of control and lack of fundamentals. 

Walker is a very good rebounder, aggressive and able to read the flight of the ball. He does a good job boxing out in the defensive board as well.

Now, let me say that all these flaws I’ve pointed out are very correctable – except the long-range jumper, that will take time to develop, if ever; and his tendency to overplay, that will require intense team-play practicing and playing time. Most of the others are correctable in the short-term, given good coaching. In fact, even a Summer of hard work can help a lot.

The reason I think moving to Europe – as he can’t go back to college – would be a great move for him is that he’d be drilled intensively in the kind of individual fundamentals he needs to improve and he’ll still be able to get playing time against better competition, something that would force to put his new acquired skills in practice in game situations, which is very useful to solidify fundamentals.  Also, players so physically gifted as Walker tend to rely on athleticism when facing lesser competition instead of playing smart. I believe Walker is the kind of kid who spent more time practicing the windmill dunk than basic dribbling drills. The fact that he was so often injured during his first year in college certainly didn’t help him. Walker is said to be a very hard-working and smart kid, with a huge desire to be great. If that’s accurate, and considering he’s only 20 years old, there’s no reason he can’t improve his overall skills very quickly, barring enduring effects from his injuries.

So, this is my opinion on Bill Walker. Being aware that Walker has so many fans over here – and I’m one of them since he was drafted, dissents are welcomed (and I apologize for writing such long texts in my poor English).

Vs. Kansas; @ Kansas; vs. Texas A&M; @USC; @ Wisconsin

Re: Analyzing our rookies: my take on Bill Walker
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »

Offline WW1MR

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
The way I see it, both Walker and Giddens are athletic players at the swing position who are best known for their dunking. Walker slipped because of his knees. Giddens slipped because of the fight/transfer/suspension. This draft will be a success if only one of these guys pans out and becomes a contributing role player on our championship contending squad. Both have a decent chance of working out for us. The one who doesn't develop or fit in will be dropped from the team. So I'm not really concerned.

I think both these guys were drafted for the same spot- to fulfill the same need. I'm not sure Danny expects both to pan out. If he did, the picks would seem a little redundant to me. At this point I wouldn't hazard a guess as to which one, if either, will make it. But I do agree that it's not a bad idea to let Walker play in Europe, for the reasons you mentioned, and because he's a couple years younger.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you..." (R. Kipling)

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:11:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I honestly have never seen Giddens play and only saw Walker play twice and was rather fixated on  his teammate. What does worry me are the reports of Walker's injuries. Will we see the best Walker has to offer come training camp, because he's going to be missing the summer camps?

I love what I've read of both Giddens' and Walker's athleticism and defensive prowess. Considering the chances that either will ever become all-star caliber starters are rarely good, that is the end of their games that I want them to excel at.

Shooting and getting theirs on the offensive end will come and have come for players with similar attributes that have entered into the league before. That part doesn't worry me. But I don't want the team to give up on Walker before he is 100% and can show us exactly what he has.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 09:15:51 PM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I thought for a moment that I was reading about a young Paul Pierce.  What makes the NBA a challenge is largely the changes that star players must make in order to become effective at the next level.  I can remember Chales Barkley getting criticized for his jump shot release on the down-side of his jump shot (exposing the ball for easier shot blocking).  Charles had to make quite a few adjustments to his game (he didn't even qualify for the Olympics) in order to become a TOP 50 player and league MVP.

The mechanics are correctable but if a player demonstrates determination and great instincts (as our two draftees do, especially in rebounding) those qualify as valuable indicators for future success.  Both of our draftees have demonstrated dominance at lower levels of competition and not just athleticism and size.  True, athleticism alone won't get it done in the NBA (Ala Gerald Green) but both athletes also demonstrate a high basketball IQ.

My biggest concern with Bill Walker is his health (the reason he fell in the draft).  He does need PT and good coaching in order to refine his shooting mechanics and to improve his basketball fundamentals...elements all draftees will need to work on.  We did have an excellent draft, particularly when viewed from our drafting positions.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
The biggest question(s) in my mind now that we have Walker and Giddens is: Are they intended as possible upgrades/replacements for Tony Allen? Are they insurance if we are unable to re-sign Tony cheap?

I dont expect both to be good let alone great, but they both certainly have tons of the 'P' word. I have to say I feel like both will be very good if not excellent defenders in a year or two.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Walker have early season surgery and be out for the year. I also expect to see Giddens sent to the D league early if Tony and Posey are both on the roster this coming season.

I consider both players to be long term investments that require development. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 09:44:35 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
The biggest question(s) in my mind now that we have Walker and Giddens is: Are they intended as possible upgrades/replacements for Tony Allen? Are they insurance if we are unable to re-sign Tony cheap?

I dont expect both to be good let alone great, but they both certainly have tons of the 'P' word. I have to say I feel like both will be very good if not excellent defenders in a year or two.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Walker have early season surgery and be out for the year. I also expect to see Giddens sent to the D league early if Tony and Posey are both on the roster this coming season.

I consider both players to be long term investments that require development. 8)

I think you are a bit off the mark here, especially concerning Giddens.  While I agree he is a long term investment, and needs development(what player entering the NBA doesn't?) both Doc and Danny have said they wanted to draft a guy, if possible, that could help right away, especially on the defensive end.  And they both have said they think Giddens could fill that role.  Walker is another story, very low risk, but the C's in general aren't in the position to take their time to develop a young guy like the previous years.  There were some other guys on the board alot here liked better, and maybe they do have greater all-around upside down the road a few years.  But the C's wanted to bring in a guy who could help now and that they could develop for the future. 

They believe Giddens is NBA ready right now at least in terms of defense and rebounding.  Remember, he is 23 years old, older than Rondo, and played 4 years of college and contributed mightily both places he played, despite his off-court problems.  This is no Gerald Green in terms of his background, this is a D1 conference player of the year who knows how to play the game.  Fortunately, the C's don't need a prospect who they hope ends up being an All Star a few years down the road like the teams who picked all those freshman at the top of the draft.  They need someone a la Stuckey who can give them minutes right away backing up Ray, and hopefully, develop even more down the road.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I think you are a bit off the mark here, especially concerning Giddens.  While I agree he is a long term investment, and needs development(what player entering the NBA doesn't?) both Doc and Danny have said they wanted to draft a guy, if possible, that could help right away, especially on the defensive end.  And they both have said they think Giddens could fill that role.  Walker is another story, very low risk, but the C's in general aren't in the position to take their time to develop a young guy like the previous years.  There were some other guys on the board alot here liked better, and maybe they do have greater all-around upside down the road a few years.  But the C's wanted to bring in a guy who could help now and that they could develop for the future. 

They believe Giddens is NBA ready right now at least in terms of defense and rebounding.  Remember, he is 23 years old, older than Rondo, and played 4 years of college and contributed mightily both places he played, despite his off-court problems.  This is no Gerald Green in terms of his background, this is a D1 conference player of the year who knows how to play the game.  Fortunately, the C's don't need a prospect who they hope ends up being an All Star a few years down the road like the teams who picked all those freshman at the top of the draft.  They need someone a la Stuckey who can give them minutes right away backing up Ray, and hopefully, develop even more down the road.
I have no problem with your assertion that Giddens is close to 'NBA ready' but my point stands that "if" TA and Posey are on the roster next year then he will not get many minutes. (I dont think we resign TA unless he is cheap and Danny feels like he can help. Posey is another matter)

If we have another wing (veteran FA) signed at the end of training camp, or TA is on the roster then Giddens will very likely see the D league for a while. If he is indeed ready and plays rotation level minutes, it will likely be after the All Star break IMO. Then we will be looking to trade TA anyway because the kid will have beaten him out.

I think Bill Walker will be the steal of the draft in a few years, but I think he may need knee surgery and extensive rehab. Just my gut, I could very well be wrong anyway. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think your worries are for naught. Yes Giddens is Allen's replacement. We have seen the last of Tony Allen, for good or bad. After 4 years of investing time, money and patience in Tony, I think they are ready to attempt the same investment on Giddens instead of Allen.

The return on the investment is potentially much higher. He is not already twice damaged goods physically. And he will be cheaper over the next 4 years.

And it's not exactly like Tony Allen was hugely responsible for the end result of last season. The biggest contribution he gave to the team this year is that he helped carry Paul Pierce off the court in Game 1 of the Finals. My guess is that Giddens can already do that.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Some thoughts:

1. Walker's defense is being overrated. He's not a good defensive player yet. I'm not even comparing him with NBA players, but he's not in the same league of Brandon Rush (who'll be one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA very soon), for example; or even Courtney Lee. I believe that Giddens is probably as good as Lee,so better than Walker. If you think that Walker is going to correct his fundamentals and his tendencies to overplay and to lose focus after a few months of practicing with a NBA team, you're beeing delusional. Also, SFs are becoming bigger and bigger - the first two drafted this year are 6'10'' and 6'8''.

2. Pierce as a rookie was 10 xs better than Walker. Similar players with similar styles, but Pierce was way more polished and more talented.

3. Both of our draftees have demonstrated dominance at lower levels of competition and not just athleticism and size.  True, athleticism alone won't get it done in the NBA (Ala Gerald Green) but both athletes also demonstrate a high basketball IQ

I can't talk about Giddens yet, but the only reason Walker was dominant was his athleticism. But take note his athleticism allows him to dominate college games but won't be off-the-charts in the NBA. I can't see that high basketball IQ. I can accept it won't be a flaw, as long as he learns to stay focused and play within himself, but it's not a strenght. He's not the kind of player that will fix a broken play or that's able to identify and attack opponents weaknesses all by himself. I never saw that and I watched him very carefully.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
When it was reported that the NBA Champs had grabbed Kansas State’s sophomore Bill Walker for cash considerations, I’m pretty sure that was the favourite draft night moment for many Celtics fans – at least in these board there was a vocal majority wanting him to be drafted with the #30.

While I don’t dislike picking him in the 2nd round – quite the contrary, it’s the kind of gamble I appreciate and we can afford in our current situation - I’m not as entirely sold as many over here and I’m happy we didn’t wasted the 1st round pick with him. I’ll try to explain why, identifying what I personally see as gnawing flaws in Walker’s game :

His shooting mechanics are a mess. I’m not a “shooting form” nazi, I’m far from being a “purist” (I myself had a very good-looking shooting form but was such a lousy shooter that I could rarely hit the basket, in spite of mine textbook mechanics). If a player has unorthodox shooting mechanics, I’m not worried a bit as long as he displays consistency and his shot is accurate. But Walker doesn’t do either of these. I’ve read lots of analysis in draft sites stating that his shooting skills have been improving and his mechanics being cleaned up blablabla, but I never saw that. His lack of elevation is probably the “best” part of his jump-shot and that says something about his arms work. One can argue he’s not exactly a terrible shooter, that he can hit some big shots in any given night. I agree, but he has to rebuild his mechanics or otherwise he’ll never be more than a streaky and inconsistent jump-shooter in the NBA. He doesn’t need to become Ray Allen, but he needs a reliable mid-range jumper, particularly coming off the dribble, to keep his defenders honest. He doesn’t need a beautiful stroke, but he needs a jumper with more elevation and to release the ball higher (and maybe slower, if that helps him) in order to make up for his lack of height as well as some consistent mechanics that make him comfortable, even if it doesn’t translate into the prettiest jumper. 

I’ve read lots of praise for his slashing abilities, but I see a player that when he drives drops his head and doesn't see the floor well.  Also, I don’t think he has a great first step, and that’s evident seeing how sometimes he struggles to close out shooters in the defensive side when he’s help-defending. I think Bill Walker needs to develop some change-of-pace, stop-n-go moves to be an effective slasher in the NBA. Step jabs, turnarounds, that kind of things. Paul Pierce can help here. His dribbling and ballhandling are also very subpar. He bounces the ball too far away from his body and he has the bad habit of keeping a high dribble. He’s not good changing directions while driving, perhaps as a consequence of his knee injuries. In college he was able to overpower opponents with his athleticism, explosiveness and body strength, using the 2 dribble power-drive, but he’ll face far more athletic and better defenders in the NBA, as well as serious help defense in the lane. In the NBA, he’ll need more “trickery and deception moves” in his penetrating skills in order to score.  Walker is a reasonable finisher around the rim, although his technique and touch is only ok, but he compensates that being fearless, a ferocious dunker and having good body-control in the air.

I see Walker as one of those players who frequently think “Ok, now that I have the ball on my hands I’m attacking the rim and there’s nothing you can do to stop me”. I like that attitude - fans tend to love it, but the sad truth is that this kind of mindset is only effective when we’re talking about phenomenal players like our own Captain. Walker is not on that level (at least not yet), and sometimes he… tries too hard, taking contested shot after contested shot when he’s missing them, instead of helping the team doing other things. It’s a pity, because when he’s not in that kind of “mental zone”, he looks a smart player, an accurate passer, competent enough reading the defense and taking advantage of double-teams on his team-mates. But it happens too much.

He takes very large steps when driving and running off the ball. That’s good, but not always, because sometimes he finds himself in trouble reading and reacting to screens and very recurrently he gets off balance when the ball arrives to his hands when cutting. Maybe he should consider lowering and shortening his steps. He should also stop staring at the ball when coming off of cuts. Once in the air he has great body control and strength; contact doesn’t bother him.

He’s very good posting up for a SF. I think he has a better footwork in the post that most analysts are giving him credit for. Of  course he could use a couple of additional inches here,  but considering his strength, leaping ability and the fact that he seems to enjoy playing in the post, I think it’s one of his more undervalued assets. He’s terrific playing screen/rolls in the lane. He’s also a very good screener, hitting his opponents hard. Sometimes he looks like a PF in a SG body.

Defensively, Walker is a mixed bag. He has a very good and quick basic defensive stance, although sometimes he losses focus and doesn’t hold it during the entire possession through the game. As happens in the offensive side, he tends to overplay frequently, gambling too much and then having trouble going back to position. He’s okay fighting screens when he’s focused. Sometimes he contests the outside shot with the wrong hand, a bad habit that is also visible in his shot-blocking attempts. Generally speaking, he’s got the effort, the awareness and the quickness to be a good defender, but he wastes his athleticism due to his tendency to play out of control and lack of fundamentals. 

Walker is a very good rebounder, aggressive and able to read the flight of the ball. He does a good job boxing out in the defensive board as well.

Now, let me say that all these flaws I’ve pointed out are very correctable – except the long-range jumper, that will take time to develop, if ever; and his tendency to overplay, that will require intense team-play practicing and playing time. Most of the others are correctable in the short-term, given good coaching. In fact, even a Summer of hard work can help a lot.

The reason I think moving to Europe – as he can’t go back to college – would be a great move for him is that he’d be drilled intensively in the kind of individual fundamentals he needs to improve and he’ll still be able to get playing time against better competition, something that would force to put his new acquired skills in practice in game situations, which is very useful to solidify fundamentals.  Also, players so physically gifted as Walker tend to rely on athleticism when facing lesser competition instead of playing smart. I believe Walker is the kind of kid who spent more time practicing the windmill dunk than basic dribbling drills. The fact that he was so often injured during his first year in college certainly didn’t help him. Walker is said to be a very hard-working and smart kid, with a huge desire to be great. If that’s accurate, and considering he’s only 20 years old, there’s no reason he can’t improve his overall skills very quickly, barring enduring effects from his injuries.

So, this is my opinion on Bill Walker. Being aware that Walker has so many fans over here – and I’m one of them since he was drafted, dissents are welcomed (and I apologize for writing such long texts in my poor English).

Vs. Kansas; @ Kansas; vs. Texas A&M; @USC; @ Wisconsin

...this is an excellent, and very accurate report on Walker's current strengths and weaknesses...however, you should read a bit more on what he's already been working on during the pre-draft process and what he'll continue to work on...

All the flaws in his game that you mentioned are things that have already been identified by the people that work with him and he is currently working on all these things-and very much aware of the need to do so in order to improve his game...

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Some thoughts:

1. Walker's defense is being overrated. He's not a good defensive player yet. I'm not even comparing him with NBA players, but he's not in the same league of Brandon Rush (who'll be one of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA very soon), for example; or even Courtney Lee. I believe that Giddens is probably as good as Lee,so better than Walker. If you think that Walker is going to correct his fundamentals and his tendencies to overplay and to lose focus after a few months of practicing with a NBA team, you're beeing delusional. Also, SFs are becoming bigger and bigger - the first two drafted this year are 6'10'' and 6'8''.

2. Pierce as a rookie was 10 xs better than Walker. Similar players with similar styles, but Pierce was way more polished and more talented.

3. Both of our draftees have demonstrated dominance at lower levels of competition and not just athleticism and size.  True, athleticism alone won't get it done in the NBA (Ala Gerald Green) but both athletes also demonstrate a high basketball IQ

I can't talk about Giddens yet, but the only reason Walker was dominant was his athleticism. But take note his athleticism allows him to dominate college games but won't be off-the-charts in the NBA. I can't see that high basketball IQ. I can accept it won't be a flaw, as long as he learns to stay focused and play within himself, but it's not a strenght. He's not the kind of player that will fix a broken play or that's able to identify and attack opponents weaknesses all by himself. I never saw that and I watched him very carefully.

..I second that...most frequently used term to describe Walker is "bull in a china shop"...that comes from pro scouts...

Walker is fiery and emotional, will work his ass off, and has great innate intelligence...but he doesn't play a cerebral game as of yet. This could very much have to do with the fact that he has yet to play at 100 percent on a major level...his one year at KSU was played at less than 100 percent coming back from knee surgery and he weighted 260lbs while manning the 4 much of the time...

Paul Pierce played 3 full seasons at Kansas before coming out...Walker had one season at Kansas State...he needs more time to hone his skills-but he's working toward that...

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Some thoughts:

..I second that...most frequently used term to describe Walker is "bull in a china shop"...that comes from pro scouts...

Walker is fiery and emotional, will work his ass off, and has great innate intelligence...but he doesn't play a cerebral game as of yet. This could very much have to do with the fact that he has yet to play at 100 percent on a major level...his one year at KSU was played at less than 100 percent coming back from knee surgery and he weighted 260lbs while manning the 4 much of the time...

Paul Pierce played 3 full seasons at Kansas before coming out...Walker had one season at Kansas State...he needs more time to hone his skills-but he's working toward that...

Bill From Boston (wink, wink)...where have you been dude?  I enjoy your analysis and opinion very much.  Also loved your stuff on the CelticsStuffLive podcast.  You have been missed.

Is there anyway you could do an extensive write up of the draft picks?

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »

Offline michael32951

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm not surprised Danny took two players with similar skills.  As we have seen he considers draft picks trading chips, he was able to get better value due to player concerns which he researched and answered.  Any picks which turns out exceptional will remain with the team, the others will be traded if possible.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:42:12 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Bill Walker reminds me of Josh Howard..

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 02:21:30 AM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
Bill Walker doesn't have great shooting mechanics and he needs a lot of work.   Comparing himself to Pierce is commendable, but not very accurate. 

With some work, Bill Walker has the ability to be a Ruben Patterson type player (hopefully without the nut job tendencies).