Author Topic: James Jones: A really crappy Posey replacement?  (Read 6016 times)

James Jones: A really crappy Posey replacement?
« on: June 29, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If the Celtics don't sign James Posey to the long term, full MLE contract he wants, they'll need to fill his role in the rotation.

James Jones just declined a 3.1 million dollar offer from the portland trailblazers. Obviously he's not going to come on discount, but what about like 3.5 or so?

He's not the defender Posey is, he can't drive to teh hoop with those awkward layups posey can, but he's a lights out shooter from the corner and a decent defender, his glaring weakness being really quick 3's and overly strong 4's. Im not saying he'd fill posey's shoes, but he could probably flop around in them for a while if Danny decides not to opt with Posey.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: James Jones: A really crappy Posey replacement?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 01:06:06 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I didn't know he still played. Feel like there's got to be someone better then him. Our thirtieth pick even...

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
If there's no Posey, this is my replacement:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h_OosSMj50Y

With that said, James Jones is surely worth a look, but if we're going to pay a lot for someone not named Posey to fill that role, I'd rather spend the MLE on a good center or pointguard.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I didn't know he still played. Feel like there's got to be someone better then him. Our thirtieth pick even...

Gidden's can't play the 3, and no one knows when Walker will be good to go.

I agree there may be better options out there, but Jones' game kind of mirrors posey's IMO. He was 4th in the league in 3 pt%, and his adj fg % would be good for 10th.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 01:19:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
James Jones is a better 2nd backup wing (say an 8th man). Rather than the primary guy like a Posey (6th man). He's an excellent pickup for that smaller role. I'd like to sign him to replace TA.

I'm struggling to see how he makes more money that the 3mil he was scheduled to make. That looks like a mistake to me. We'll see.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I agree there may be better options out there, but Jones' game kind of mirrors posey's IMO. He was 4th in the league in 3 pt%, and his adj fg % would be good for 10th.

I think Gidden's can play the 3. Maybe not what you want in a consistant basis, but he should be capable of playing it because of his long arms.  Surely James and Barnes are better options, just because they can be SF/PF instead of SG/SF, and are useful in small lineup situations.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
James Jones is a better 2nd backup wing (say an 8th man). Rather than the primary guy like a Posey (6th man). He's an excellent pickup for that smaller role. I'd like to sign him to replace TA.

I'm struggling to see how he makes more money that the 3mil he was scheduled to make. That looks like a mistake to me. We'll see.

I agree. Jones flubbed that one up.

I think Gidden's can play the 3. Maybe not what you want in a consistant basis, but he should be capable of playing it because of his long arms.  Surely James and Barnes are better options, just because they can be SF/PF instead of SG/SF, and are useful in small lineup situations.

Barnes is my ideal guy if Posey gets away. I was planning on writing a more researched post on him on a later date.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 01:26:18 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown

O crap, you know who I thought you were talking about, that fat three point shooter that played for us and then moved to the suns. I cant remember his name...

... anyways, I do like that James kid, he wouldn't be bad if we couldn't hold on to posey

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I'm not huge on James Jones in Boston.

If we can't end up getting Pose back, I'd like Josh Childress to replace him.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
If Posey wants the full MLE and Jones can be had for half of it, I would go with Jones or Barnes.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
If Posey wants the full MLE and Jones can be had for half of it, I would go with Jones or Barnes.

be prepared to get half the player as well.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »

Offline JollyGreen17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 1
Sign Posey! There is no way that Matt Barnes or James Jones can match the defensive intensity as Posey. He does alot of little things that is an asset to any team. For example, does anyone know of any other player that disrupts an opposing player while taking a free throw? By disrupting, I mean he will walk over and block off the shooter from giving his team mates 5 fives. I've noticed this in some of the games I've recorded. WE NEED JAMES POSEY BACK.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Haha...James Posey: Doing the little things like smothering hope and opposing teams' chemistry since 2008.

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
Sign Posey! There is no way that Matt Barnes or James Jones can match the defensive intensity as Posey. He does alot of little things that is an asset to any team. For example, does anyone know of any other player that disrupts an opposing player while taking a free throw? By disrupting, I mean he will walk over and block off the shooter from giving his team mates 5 fives. I've noticed this in some of the games I've recorded. WE NEED JAMES POSEY BACK.

I liked what danny said to tommy the night that we won the championship. something to the lines of, we needed a tough defensive player, now don't get me wrong kg pierce and rondo are great defenders but posey is just a nasty player.