Author Topic: 2009 NBA Mock Draft / Prospect Ranking  (Read 16030 times)

Re: 2009 NBA Mock Draft / Prospect Ranking
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 11:41:51 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
...is he any better than a Sergio Rodriguez?

I think it's close. But Rubio is 5 years younger.

This is the first time I see people rating a draft prospect based on how quick was his release when he was 15 years old  ;D

wow. cordobes, you are REALLY high on this kid. what kind of stats did he put up last season?

so he is about to turn 18, is that right? so this would be like he senior season in high school in terms of US players....

Humm... I'm as high as almost everybody, I think. His intelligence and playmaking abilities are really quite impressive.

He averaged 11ppg, 4apg, 3rpg, 2spg, 23 mpg in the ACB. He was also named for the "All-ACB first team" (together with Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol, who both will be playing in the NBA next season - http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=48965). And ACB is a far stronger league than the NCAA.

just from the highlights, i'd put him closer in style of play to Tony Parkey than Manu.....

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
...is he any better than a Sergio Rodriguez?

I think it's close. But Rubio is 5 years younger.

This is the first time I see people rating a draft prospect based on how quick was his release when he was 15 years old  ;D

wasn't Sergio playing in the ACB at 18 too? how would you compare them at the age that Rubio is now....and do you expect him to have more of an impact in the NBA than Sergio?

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
just from the highlights, i'd put him closer in style of play to Tony Parkey than Manu.....

Definitely, but Rubio is less athletic than Parker, but more cerebral, polished and taller. And when Parker was 18 he was warming the bench in a french team, not being dominant in the best league in Europe.

but do you agree that the hype is warranted?

Sure. The thing is there is no precedent in the history of European basketball of such a young point-guard being so good, so the hype is unavoidable.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

wasn't Sergio playing in the ACB at 18 too? how would you compare them at the age that Rubio is now....and do you expect him to have more of an impact in the NBA than Sergio?

Yeah, but Sergio was a backup. He was rookie of the year when he was 19, I think. Rubio is in the first All-ACB team. I think Rubio will have a far bigger impact, as long as he doesn't regress till he joins the NBA.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So who's going to be available at #60 in 2009?  I'm thinking that next year's draft isn't going to be much help for us.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Yeah, but Sergio was a backup. He was rookie of the year when he was 19, I think. Rubio is in the first All-ACB team. I think Rubio will have a far bigger impact, as long as he doesn't regress till he joins the NBA.

the way that the analysts are describing him sounds very similar to Sergio. is it just that Rubio is doing this a year earlier? is that the reason for the hype? or are their elements of his game that are better than Rodriguez'?

like you said, Segio was named ROY of that league at the age of 19....

here is the draft express report of Sergio.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sergio-Rodriguez-24/

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Stephen curry will be a lottery pick. You can go ahead and put that in print. That kid is awesome. Think young Ray Allen or Dell Curry (his dad) but better shot.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:14:24 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Stephen curry will be a lottery pick. You can go ahead and put that in print. That kid is awesome. Think young Ray Allen or Dell Curry (his dad) but better shot.

I don't know if he will be a lottery pick, he is now trying to convert himself into a point guard.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 09:30:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

the way that the analysts are describing him sounds very similar to Sergio. is it just that Rubio is doing this a year earlier? is that the reason for the hype? or are their elements of his game that are better than Rodriguez'?

like you said, Segio was named ROY of that league at the age of 19....

here is the draft express report of Sergio.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sergio-Rodriguez-24/

Well, Rubio is doing far more on year earlier.

About the similarities with Sergio, I will have to disagree with the experts then. I can elaborate if you want, but there are 3 things that, in my opinion, really differentiate them:

1. Defense. Rubio will be an extraordinary defender when he gains strength. Currently, he's already very good, particularly attacking the ball from the weakside and passing lanes. Truly iversonesque. Sometimes he gets in trouble because of this, of course; but that's easy correctable - he showed he can easily stay in front of his man. He has problems when posted, but that's something that can only be solved with body development. Sergio was, and I believe he still is, a very poor defender.

2. Sergio is not really team-play point-guard. He doesn't have that "nature". He'll make flashy passes and astonishing penetrations, but he doesn't protect the ball, he's not a floor general. Rubio, on the other hand, has the creativity plus the abillity of getting you into your set offense. He plays the fastbreak but he can run a slow paced game. And even as a slasher, Rubio is more skilled, he finishes better.

3. Rubio is a better spot-up shooter than Sergio. None of them is a great  jump-shooter, but Rubio, despite his little elevation and a very long/slow  motion, has a better form.

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 04:33:56 AM »

Offline hankszabo

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
thanks for the info, dino!  much appreciated.  has there ever been a weaker draft going a season?  i mean; eark **** clark is a projected lottery pick?   the guy is weak physically and just appears to these eyes to be a marginal nba player.  but i guess there is no one else.  just a real weak class.  good thing the c's don't need much help.  then again, the big 3 are all into their 30's.  it will be interesting to see what ainge comes up with. 

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 05:38:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kinda makes me feel good about not owning a first round draft pick next year.

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 12:08:09 PM »

Offline Dino Radjas Fadja

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
This time of year the draft generally doesn't look so hot but as the NCAA season rolls on, the draft looks better and better.

As for Earl Clark, going back to Louisville was the right move in terms of his overall development. Leaving early may have stunted his growth as from an offensive standpoint he was not ready for the NBA game. This year will be huge for him.

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 09:44:38 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread because it's the most recent one in the forum.

What about Tyler Smith of Tennessee?  He's a 6'7", long SF that can shoot and drive.  Also, he's got a post game - something you rarely see from a wing out of college.  He can make free throws, and plays good defense.  I expect him to be a late lottery pick, but he's not even on the original poster's list.

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2008, 02:03:10 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I never pay much attention to Draft prospects until late in the season. I thought last year's draft was quite heavy in the SG/SF types of players, and some PG's.

So I'm wondering, this draft will be heavy in which position?

I think Ricky Rubio looks pretty good.

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2008, 03:04:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
So who's going to be available at #60 in 2009?  I'm thinking that next year's draft isn't going to be much help for us.

Agreed, but it is still fun to think about.  Besides, with 4 picks in the first round, I could see Minny as a seller.  Might there be someone late in the 1st that could help the Cs?  i don't know as I have hardly watched any college ball -- in any case, knowing DA, he may be more likely to purchase a mid- 2nd rounder on the cheap to use for an undervalued player (Powe, Walker).
Celtics fan for life.