Author Topic: Balance of Power Affected?  (Read 6708 times)

Balance of Power Affected?
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Do you think the "Balance of Power" was affected by this years' NBA draft,and if so,which teams will rise quickly with their pick(s)?I don't feel that any of the players coming into the upcoming NBA  season,will make a major impact on their perspective teams,imo.

Re: Balance of Power Affected?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Portland are about to skip the queue out West

Houston Rockets now have an exceptional squad with the Greene and Dorsey pickups. That fills two major voids for them. If they're healthy come playoff time they'll be very tough to beat.

Clippers pulled out a good draft and will make a run at the playoffs. Depending on the next guard they acquire (Livingston, Maggette trade, Free Agency) they could be equipped to make some noise.

The bottom playoff seeds of the East is shaping up to be a scrap with a few teams improving their teams for that slot.

Miami are going to be very interesting in the Eastern Conference. Their starting four of Chalmers-Wade-Marion-Beasley is excellent but they need more. They need a center and a bench. Be interesting to see what they do next. Could be dangerous come playoff time with a few achievable adjustments. They'll likely be dangling Haslem to land a competent center.

NJ did well reshaping their roster but they're a lottery team. They did very good work for their future though. Long term they really changed their direction.

The East picture hasn't really changed as far the Celtics are concerned. Orlando and Cleveland are the only rivals that good drafts but not sure how much that helps each yet.

Actually I add one more. Philadelphia with Speights was a very good move for them. If they could add one very good scorer now, this summer, they'd be interesting. Speights was an excellent pickup and should be a good fit alongside their young wings and Dalembert.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 10:41:14 AM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
we're still #1. we always knew miami would be better, i think other teams are going to be better also but when it's all said and done, next june should boil down to the celtics and whoever comes out of a spurs-lakers series - barring any unforeseen circumstances.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Wasted opportunities

- Washington
- Phoenix
- Detroit
- New Orleans lead the pack
- San Antonio
- Denver
- Probably but not definitely Indiana
- Memphis and Minnesota
- Seattle. Okay Seattle lead the pack but New Orleans out of the contending teams

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Philly depending on what they do in free agency (they are the only ones with cap space, besides...um Memphis I think) might go from a 7 seed to a 4/5.  The Wizards could go up or down depending on if they resign Arenas and/or Jamison.  Out west the Blazers are gonna scare a lot of teams.  The Spurs and/or Mavs could maintain or fall depending on their free agency (the Spurs in particular need to get younger)  I think Denver will be better this year, closer to the middle of the pack in the West this time.  Outside of that I don't see much change. Yeah and Toronto will be interesting if they can come together they will be dangerous, they may leapfrog Cleveland and/or Detroit as #2 in the East.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Although I think the C's are still #1, some teams in the East are going to be a lot harder to beat.

New York -just because of coaching
Toronto - if O'neal is healthy, they are going to be tough
Milwaukee-RJ is a huge upgrade, plus Alexander
Miami- Beasley and I don't think they are done yet
Bulls- if they trade Hinrich for a big man, I'll be a little scared
Bobcats- coaching, new pg, Mays and Morrison healthy
Washington- Arenas finally healthy
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think the Raptors have the chance to be very dangerous if Oneal is healthy.  He is exactly what they need, and if he is healthy, then they may challenge for one of the top 3 seeds in the East.

I also think Indy helped themselves a lot.  Last year they were challenging for a playoff spot until late in the year, and Oneal was basically a non-factor.  This year they have replaced him with a very good PG (again, when healthy.  They also got a very good backup PG in Jack (who Obrien is going to love), and an excellent Wing who could be starting next year in Rush.  The only negative is Hibbert, who I simply can't see playing well in Obrien's scheme.  But I think they will be a strong candidate to take the 7th or 8th seed in the east.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
we're still #1. we always knew miami would be better, i think other teams are going to be better also but when it's all said and done, next june should boil down to the celtics and whoever comes out of a spurs-lakers series - barring any unforeseen circumstances.
I agree with you accept for one thing,i don't see the Lakers/Spurs at the top of the west,come next June.I think Houston will have something to say about that. ;D 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:33:12 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
Although I think the C's are still #1, some teams in the East are going to be a lot harder to beat.

Wizards scare the heck out of me...did this past season also.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wasted opportunities

- Washington
- Phoenix
- Detroit
- San Antonio
- Denver
- Memphis and Minnesota
- Seattle. Okay Seattle lead the pack but New Orleans out of the contending teams

That's a pretty solid list, although I'm still digesting the Memphis / Minnesota trade.

What players do you think would have fit best on each of those teams (assuming Denver / New Orleans hadn't sold their picks?)

In terms of what teams go immediately better for next season, I think Beasley is the difference maker.  He and Chalmers could help get the Heat back into the playoffs.  I also think Portland really improved, although in the *immediate* short term, I'm sure Jarrett Jack was a more capable point guard than Bayless will be at the start of the season (give him time, though.)

In terms of the legit contenders, the following teams did *not* improve themselves:

Cleveland
Detroit
L.A. Lakers
New Orleans
San Antonio
Dallas
Utah (in the short term)

I think Orlando, Phoenix, and Boston all made minor improvements (although I didn't like the Lopez pick for Phoenix), and I agree with Who that Houston improved moderately.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 11:25:04 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

As long as they face the Cavs in the playoffs I'm not worried about them. ;D

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton

As long as they face the Cavs in the playoffs I'm not worried about them. ;D
I know its a big IF,but if they ever got pass the Cavs,they have been tough to beat.I think we would win in a series,but A.Jamison is tough to stop.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton

Houston Rockets now have an exceptional squad with the Greene and Dorsey pickups. That fills two major voids for them. If they're healthy come playoff time they'll be very tough to beat.

Clippers pulled out a good draft and will make a run at the playoffs. Depending on the next guard they acquire (Livingston, Maggette trade, Free Agency) they could be equipped to make some noise.

The bottom playoff seeds of the East is shaping up to be a scrap with a few teams improving their teams for that slot.

Miami are going to be very interesting in the Eastern Conference. Their starting four of Chalmers-Wade-Marion-Beasley is excellent but they need more. They need a center and a bench. Be interesting to see what they do next. Could be dangerous come playoff time with a few achievable adjustments. They'll likely be dangling Haslem to land a competent center.

NJ did well reshaping their roster but they're a lottery team. They did very good work for their future though. Long term they really changed their direction.

The East picture hasn't really changed as far the Celtics are concerned. Orlando and Cleveland are the only rivals that good drafts but not sure how much that helps each yet.

Actually I add one more. Philadelphia with Speights was a very good move for them. If they could add one very good scorer now, this summer, they'd be interesting. Speights was an excellent pickup and should be a good fit alongside their young wings and Dalembert.
Who,i have to agree with the Houston pickups...if Yao,and Tracy stay healthy,the Rockets will be tough to beat in the west.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:51:50 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Wasted opportunities

- Washington
- Phoenix
- Detroit
- San Antonio
- Denver
- Memphis and Minnesota
That's a pretty solid list, although I'm still digesting the Memphis / Minnesota trade.

What players do you think would have fit best on each of those teams (assuming Denver / New Orleans hadn't sold their picks?)

Interesting question. Hmmm ...

For Minnesota and Memphis I just wouldn't make the trade. Then I'd be happy there.

New Orleans should have kept the guy they selected in Darrell Arthur. They're desperate for big man help and the free agency class of MLE or below bigs is very weak. Arthur had a good chance of being better than anyone they can sign.

The Nuggets could have done anything and probably been fine. They have three solid bigs (Kenyon, Nene, Camby) and four wings (Melo, AI, JR, Klieza) so I'll go with a solid point guard. Someone who can shoot, play defense and do some point guard duties so Mario Chalmers.

Phoenix desperately needed a wing. Courtney Lee or Donte Greene would have been the best fits. I don't think they need the Robin Lopez kid at all, Skinner can do his job better and costs less. Phoenix were very unlucky that Brandon Rush didn't fall, Phoenix had a tough draft pick once Rush went. Anyone outside of Lopez (nor McGee) would have been better.

San Antonio - DeAndre Jordan. Let him develop next to Duncan. They need more size and more of a future to help TD in his old age. It was amazing to watch Duncan out-duel two quality big men on each team the Spurs played in the playoffs. He just needs a little help down in the paint, Jordan can give that in a year or two and he has good upside beyond that. Second choice would be Mario Chalmers, I think he's a great fit in the Spurs organization and a great replacement for Jacque Vaughn.

Indiana - Keep Bayless

Seattle - Draft Kevin Love. The thought of Durant and Love together is beautiful. What a two man game they could play.

Detroit - DJ White. I've said it for awhile now, he reminds me so much of Antonio McDyess (Detroit's Dice). He'll be a very solid role player for a long time. He's a Pistons type of player with his toughness and hard working attitude inside. I thought he was a great pick and shouldn't have been sold on. Otherwise CDR because he can already do everything Jarvis Hayes can do and he'll likely to it better in 8 months time. Chalmers again an interesting fit to replace the departing Hunter.

Washington - This is the hardest one because of where they're picking. I have no interest in JaVale McGee so my answer is "anything but" McGee. Arthur and Koufos are the two main culprits. I'd be looking to trade down for Joey Dorsey above all else. He's probably the best pick for Washington but it's way too high for him. The Wizards are an annoying team to configure because their perimeter is fairly set and their bigs are fairly set, they need upgrades rather than certain positions and skill sets. I would consider DeAndre Jordan if they had a real head coach but they don't so I wouldn't.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

The Rockets will not be tough to beat as long as Tracy McGrady is on that team. 7 straight first round exits - a couple rookie draft picks will not compensate for McGrady's annual injuries/playoff dissapearances.  

I am stunned that NJ turned down the Wally for Vince deal. I like Vince, but that contract stinks for them and to be able to get rid of it while getting Wally's expiring contract in return...Jeez.