Author Topic: Real GM gives us an A for Giddens and Walker  (Read 8717 times)

Re: Real GM gives us an A for Giddens and Walker
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:06:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
marcus who?!

"The Celtics stole Bill Walker," :)) his coach says
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1

Walker's pain is Celtics gain
http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_180014604.html
by Bill Burt

If I had a nickel for every college coach who predicted his enigmatic superstar was going to be a bona fide NBA star, I would have retired at 40.

Today's candidates are Kansas State coach Frank Martin and his freshman small forward Bill Walker, the Celtics' second round pick (they paid cash to the Washington Wizards for his rights).

But there is something extra in Martin's opinions. He is not predicting. He's all but promising.

"The Celtics stole Bill," said Martin. "That's the best way I can describe it. They stole him. Danny Ainge was on to Bill the year before. He knew how good Bill was. Danny should be commended."

This is an interesting case study. Martin spent four years in Boston (2000-04) as an assistant at Northeastern University before heading to the University of Cincinnati as an assistant to Bob Huggins. He later joined Huggins at Kansas State and replaced him when Huggins accepted the job at his alma mater, West Virginia.

Walker's story is a well-documented one in college basketball circles.

He was among the top basketball players in the country coming out of high school in Cincinnati (No. 6 by Rivals.com), where he was teammates with the No. 1 prospect, O.J. Mayo. He and Mayo were best friends since kindergarten in Huntington, West Va.

Walker was not able to play his final year in high school because he apparently repeated ninth grade and had already played four years of varsity basketball through 11th grade.

The duo split up and Walker, noted for his prodigious jumping and dunking, ended up going to Kansas State in early December of what was to be his senior year in high school.

He would be leaving Mayo's shadow as the man at K-State. An alpha dog was born.

Six games into his career in Manhattan, Walker tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) after hyper-extending his knee. It was bad enough to finish him for the season, some wondered maybe even his career as his game was based on speed and power.

He got a waiver with the NCAA to repeat his freshman year.

Upon his return this past season, another shadow emerged. That shadow was Michael Beasley, the top high school player in the country according to Rivals.com and a sure-fire pro after one year.

Walker and Beasley hit it off, thankfully, and Kansas State became a player on the national basketball scene, making the NCAAs for the first time since 1996. Beasley, though, was "The Man," and the rejuvenated Walker accepted the role as wing man.

Walker put up nice numbers this past winter — 16.1 points, 6.3 rebounds — but, according to Martin, his desire is his greatest attribute.

"Bill Walker is about winning. He came here to win," said Martin. "Let it be known, from Day 1, because of him we were able to accomplish things we didn't accomplish here at K-State without him."

K-State not only advanced to the second round of the NCAAs this past season, but it beat Mayo's USC team in its tourney opener as Walker pumped in 20 points.

"That game meant so much to Bill," said Martin. "I remember the day the pairings were announced and we knew we were not only in, but playing USC. I could see the tears in Bill's eyes. The fact that he had made the comeback is one thing. To do it against USC and Mayo was another."

K-State won handily, 80-67. Two days later the Wildcats lost to Wisconsin, 72-55, in what was the last game of his college career.

After the loss it was apparent, especially with his family's financial woes, that he was immediately going pro.

His injured knee, which had succumbed to two ACL tears (he had a minor one in high school), was not going to help his cause.

Two weeks ago, his draft status took another blow when he tore his meniscus while working out at the Golden State Warriors facility with 22 teams in attendance.

Being selected in the second round (47th overall picks) means a non-guaranteed contract, and a lot less money even if he does make it. Minimum salary is $442,114 while late first-round picks make over $900,000 as rookies.

"Bill is used to this," said Martin. "Nothing has ever been easy for him. He's always overcoming odds and, in the end, always succeeded."

Martin is not only referring to Walker's knee, but his very poor upbringing, which included times his mom and sister were homeless and had all of their belongings in a grocery cart.

"The Boston Celtics got a winner," said Martin. "He showed this year that the injuries he has had are not career-threatening. He still has the strength and quickness he had before. I believe Danny Ainge knows what he has in Bill Walker."

E-mail Bill Burt at bburt@eagletribune.com.

Re: "The Celtics stole Bill Walker," :)) his coach says
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Martin is not only referring to Walker's knee, but his very poor upbringing, which included times his mom and sister were homeless and had all of their belongings in a grocery cart.

Wow could Walker's and Powe's situation be any more similar. Both high prospects coming out of high school, both suffering major knee injuries and both being homeless at one point in their young lives. I think Powe and Walker are going to be really tight and we can only hope Walker's comeback will be as good as Powe's  has been so far.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:46:44 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
If we meet L.A. in the Finals next season, I can pretty much guarantee that we're not going to be using J.R. Giddens as our "Kobe stopper".  I don't care how good his defense is, he's still a rookie; Kobe would abuse him.

Down the line, though, Giddens has the length and athleticism to be a top notch defender.  I think he'll see some minutes next season, but I'm not expecting a lot out of him immediately.

Ordinarily i would agree with you.

Giddens is however 23 and has played 4 years in college. thats not to say that Kobe wouldn't abuse him, however he is going to have to show that he can defend either this year or the next or he won't have a future if he is a 25 yr old who can't defend in the NBA
Realistically,how many players in the NBA can we honestly consider as "Kobe stoppers",so i think its a unrealistic expectation for this young man to shut Kobe down.

bowen haha who i think is actually overrated for his defense.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 10:51:00 AM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible

Walker's pain is Celtics gain
http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_180014604.html
by Bill Burt

If I had a nickel for every college coach who predicted his enigmatic superstar was going to be a bona fide NBA star, I would have retired at 40.

Today's candidates are Kansas State coach Frank Martin and his freshman small forward Bill Walker, the Celtics' second round pick (they paid cash to the Washington Wizards for his rights).

But there is something extra in Martin's opinions. He is not predicting. He's all but promising.

"The Celtics stole Bill," said Martin. "That's the best way I can describe it. They stole him. Danny Ainge was on to Bill the year before. He knew how good Bill was. Danny should be commended."

This is an interesting case study. Martin spent four years in Boston (2000-04) as an assistant at Northeastern University before heading to the University of Cincinnati as an assistant to Bob Huggins. He later joined Huggins at Kansas State and replaced him when Huggins accepted the job at his alma mater, West Virginia.

Walker's story is a well-documented one in college basketball circles.

He was among the top basketball players in the country coming out of high school in Cincinnati (No. 6 by Rivals.com), where he was teammates with the No. 1 prospect, O.J. Mayo. He and Mayo were best friends since kindergarten in Huntington, West Va.

Walker was not able to play his final year in high school because he apparently repeated ninth grade and had already played four years of varsity basketball through 11th grade.

The duo split up and Walker, noted for his prodigious jumping and dunking, ended up going to Kansas State in early December of what was to be his senior year in high school.

He would be leaving Mayo's shadow as the man at K-State. An alpha dog was born.

Six games into his career in Manhattan, Walker tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) after hyper-extending his knee. It was bad enough to finish him for the season, some wondered maybe even his career as his game was based on speed and power.

He got a waiver with the NCAA to repeat his freshman year.

Upon his return this past season, another shadow emerged. That shadow was Michael Beasley, the top high school player in the country according to Rivals.com and a sure-fire pro after one year.

Walker and Beasley hit it off, thankfully, and Kansas State became a player on the national basketball scene, making the NCAAs for the first time since 1996. Beasley, though, was "The Man," and the rejuvenated Walker accepted the role as wing man.

Walker put up nice numbers this past winter — 16.1 points, 6.3 rebounds — but, according to Martin, his desire is his greatest attribute.

"Bill Walker is about winning. He came here to win," said Martin. "Let it be known, from Day 1, because of him we were able to accomplish things we didn't accomplish here at K-State without him."

K-State not only advanced to the second round of the NCAAs this past season, but it beat Mayo's USC team in its tourney opener as Walker pumped in 20 points.

"That game meant so much to Bill," said Martin. "I remember the day the pairings were announced and we knew we were not only in, but playing USC. I could see the tears in Bill's eyes. The fact that he had made the comeback is one thing. To do it against USC and Mayo was another."

K-State won handily, 80-67. Two days later the Wildcats lost to Wisconsin, 72-55, in what was the last game of his college career.

After the loss it was apparent, especially with his family's financial woes, that he was immediately going pro.

His injured knee, which had succumbed to two ACL tears (he had a minor one in high school), was not going to help his cause.

Two weeks ago, his draft status took another blow when he tore his meniscus while working out at the Golden State Warriors facility with 22 teams in attendance.

Being selected in the second round (47th overall picks) means a non-guaranteed contract, and a lot less money even if he does make it. Minimum salary is $442,114 while late first-round picks make over $900,000 as rookies.

"Bill is used to this," said Martin. "Nothing has ever been easy for him. He's always overcoming odds and, in the end, always succeeded."

"The Boston Celtics got a winner," said Martin. "He showed this year that the injuries he has had are not career-threatening. He still has the strength and quickness he had before. I believe Danny Ainge knows what he has in Bill Walker."

E-mail Bill Burt at bburt@eagletribune.com.

that actually sounds exactly like powe's life... maybe they'll get along really well.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 11:02:01 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
so many parallels between Giddens and walker.

The ACL's and where they were drafted 48th and 49th

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
so many parallels between Giddens and walker.

The ACL's and where they were drafted 48th and 49th

Powe, I think you meant.

Both were acquired by the Celtics trading into the second round to get them, too.  In both cases, ownership committed the financial resources to buy the pick (with us also sending a future #2 in the case of Powe).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions