Author Topic: The Birdman cometh...?  (Read 14488 times)

Re: The Birdman cometh...?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2008, 05:53:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone have any idea what Butler did over the last season and where?

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Jackie Butler at 6'10', 260 pounds, with a nice post game from what I remember last year in summer League where he ate up Powe and Davis. I'm sure he will get a good look by this team.

I like the idea of bringing in Butler.  He is a big body with potential.  If he agrees to come in on the vet minimum, I think it would be an excellent pickup.

I also like that he was away from the NBA for a year.  Let's see if that makes him work harder.

And he, unlike some of the incredibly raw big men that we passed up in the draft, is the perfect player to learn from Clifford Ray.  He already has very good feet and hands, and he knows how to use his body.  He just hasn't been able to put it together. 

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 06:07:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Butler is a terrible defender with a poor work ethic. How many NBA teams have already waived him? Three, four? What am I missing here?

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008, 06:13:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Butler is a terrible defender with a poor work ethic. How many NBA teams have already waived him? Three, four? What am I missing here?

The work ethic is a worry.  But that is why you only sign him to a vet minimum deal, so you can just cut him if he doesn't work (or just let KG berate him).  The defense thing I am less worried about.  His only significant playing time was seen for the Knicks...and no one plays defense on the Knicks. 

He has the body, and physical ability to be at least a solid defender.

He is in no means a great option, but he has the potential to be good...and is not much worse than anyone else we could get for the vet minimum.

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Back to The_Birdman, what's the word out of New Orleans?  They seem to be pushing hard to re-sign him?  You'd figure they'd know more about whether he's still got issues or not, and that would be reflected in how hard they try and re-sign him (if he's clean, he's worth more than the vet min, even with his limited skillset).

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

un-kay!

man, imagine anderson and scott pollard together - "hey kids, do drugs!"

actually, i feel sorry for the guy...he's a hick who grew up with nothing, had his father leave him (and he still hasn't gotten over that yet) and has all these leaches surrounding him.

professional athletes aren't necessarily born with intelligence and common sense...anderson's mom ought to be embarrassed for creating the monster she did (come on - an old lady sporting tatoos?) and then acting like she's surprised by the outcome of all this.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."