Author Topic: The Birdman cometh...?  (Read 14463 times)

Re: The Birdman cometh...?
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
We need a backup center, there are already plenty PFs in our roster. Pollard and PJ are way more useful than Birdman. Good luck to him though.

Birdman is as much of a center as those two guys. You can't count Pollard's mohawk when measuring him.  :P  Not to mention Pollard is garbage and it's unknown whether PJ wants to play anymore.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

Offline steelbos

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Jackie Butler at 6'10', 260 pounds, with a nice post game from what I remember last year in summer League where he ate up Powe and Davis. I'm sure he will get a good look by this team.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
any info on the chance we may get butler, mourning or elson?

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 10:27:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
any info on the chance we may get butler, mourning or elson?

I thought I saw that Butler was coming to the Celtics summer camp. 

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
Anderson is an interesting talent, but I would take a healthy (always a question) Pollard over him in that Pollard is comfortable in the role and has experience with the team. In the few (*very* few) minutes he spent on the floor last year, he did what a vet backup is supposed to do, play defense, rebound, make the open shot, and don't make stupid mistakes.  Based on what little I've seen of him, I'd have to say I'm intrigued by Jackie Butler as well.  And even though I've disliked him ever since he elbowed Kit Mueller in the face all those years ago, I'd take Alonzo Mourning over Anderson as well.  Although in that case the unintentional comedy rating from both Zo and KG being so amped up all the time could get pretty high. 
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:03 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
If there was any speculation of Marc Spears that interests me it's that of Zo Mourning coming here as a back up. Anderson interests me not in the least. A guy like Alonzo who could give this team 15 minutes of dominating off the bench interior defense every game is a lot more appealing to me.

1.7 blocks in 16 minutes. Unreal.

Blocks aren't a great defensive metric.  Gaudy block #s often indicate a "block prowler" like Marcus Camby, who gets lit up by opposing centers because he's too busy lurking for every weakside block attempt.  Still, Zo is solid defensively.  But he's old now and coming off of a major injury.  Usually a recipe for disaster. 

I personally like Birdman a lot.  Think he's a sick talent.   Worth taking a risk on as a back up. 

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2008, 02:05:25 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2008, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If there was any speculation of Marc Spears that interests me it's that of Zo Mourning coming here as a back up. Anderson interests me not in the least. A guy like Alonzo who could give this team 15 minutes of dominating off the bench interior defense every game is a lot more appealing to me.

Blocks aren't a great defensive metric.  Gaudy block #s often indicate a "block prowler" like Marcus Camby, who gets lit up by opposing centers because he's too busy lurking for every weakside block attempt.  Still, Zo is solid defensively.  But he's old now and coming off of a major injury.  Usually a recipe for disaster. 

I personally like Birdman a lot.  Think he's a sick talent.   Worth taking a risk on as a back up. 
Okay, I'm scratching my head very bald head on this one trying to figure this out.

Alonzo Mourning, the 2 time DPOY, two time first team All-Defense, 7-time All-Star, guy with a career 2.8 blocks per game average, guy who has played his last 7 years part time because he needs a kidney transplant and yet still has career averages of 17 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks is a "blocks prowler"?

Have you been watching NBA basketball anytime over the last, say, oh 15 years or so? Alonzo Mourning a "block prowler"? This is a joke, right?

On the one hand we have Zo and his courage and resume and proven game. On the other hand we have Chris Anderson, a big pile of cocaine and his potential.

And you would choose the Birdman?

Okay?!?!

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
 ;D i expect nothing less

u handle it nick

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Okay, I'm scratching my head very bald head on this one trying to figure this out.

Alonzo Mourning, the 2 time DPOY, two time first team All-Defense, 7-time All-Star, guy with a career 2.8 blocks per game average, guy who has played his last 7 years part time because he needs a kidney transplant and yet still has career averages of 17 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks is a "blocks prowler"?

Have you been watching NBA basketball anytime over the last, say, oh 15 years or so? Alonzo Mourning a "block prowler"? This is a joke, right?

On the one hand we have Zo and his courage and resume and proven game. On the other hand we have Chris Anderson, a big pile of cocaine and his potential.

Okay?!?!

I think he was calling Camby the "block prowler", not Zo (he said Zo was a solid defender). If that's the case, he is absolutely right. Lots of great weakside shot-blockers are lousy defenders. Camby is not a terrible defender, but winning the DPOY was a joke.

I also agree that we shouldn't disregard Zo's injury. It was a very serious injury and he's 39 years old, so I don't have much faith he'll still be an effective defender when and if he comes back.

Anyway, even if he's healthy enough to be productive, I don't believe Zo will leave Miami. It's his home, I can't see him wanting to end his career anywhere else.

Birdman is not a very good defensive center. Pollard and PJ (who isn't also a natural center) are way better than him.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
a healthy pollard is what we need. if hes healthy then i think our backup c problem should be solved

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14

Okay?!?!

Tone it down playa. 

I was just pointing out citing blocks as a defensive bench mark is greatly flawed.  Which is true.  Zo was great.  No doubt.  He had a major injury last season.  He's turning 39 next season.  He's already got his ring.  His home is in Miami.  I just think it's a pipe dream.

There are better players out there than Andersen.  But they'll be expensive.  Andersen has been a good producer in the NBA.   Solid defensively and cleans up the glass.  Not the worst guy in the world to take a chance on as a 15mpg back-up big.

Re: healthy Pollard.  There's no such thing.  And I'm a big Pollard fan and generally think he's underrated (awesome in Sac).  He's played over 50 games once in the past 6 season (61), and less than 30 3 times in that span.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Okay?!?!

Tone it down playa. 

I was just pointing out citing blocks as a defensive bench mark is greatly flawed.  Which is true.  Zo was great.  No doubt.  He had a major injury last season.  He's turning 39 next season.  He's already got his ring.  His home is in Miami.  I just think it's a pipe dream.

There are better players out there than Andersen.  But they'll be expensive.  Andersen has been a good producer in the NBA.   Solid defensively and cleans up the glass.  Not the worst guy in the world to take a chance on as a 15mpg back-up big.

Re: healthy Pollard.  There's no such thing.  And I'm a big Pollard fan and generally think he's underrated (awesome in Sac).  He's played over 50 games once in the past 6 season (61), and less than 30 3 times in that span.
My bad if I came off in a bad way, just the whole desciption of my man Zo as "block prowler" I thought was a bit exaggerated to say the least.

You're right though. Zo any going anywhere but I'd rather have that pipe dream than the type of pipe dream Anderson brings with him.

TP on Pollard observation, he hasn't been healthy since he was a Jayhawk. I thought it was a bad sign last August and I think it would be a bad sign this August.

If there was ever a way to entice Zo or Dikembe out of their very comfortable local environs that's where I would go. Otherwise, the pickings are slim. Jake Voskul? Theo Ratliff? Yuk?

I say try to make it through to the allstar break again with what we have and then convince PJ to come out for another run.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Jackie Butler at 6'10', 260 pounds, with a nice post game from what I remember last year in summer League where he ate up Powe and Davis. I'm sure he will get a good look by this team.

I like the idea of bringing in Butler.  He is a big body with potential.  If he agrees to come in on the vet minimum, I think it would be an excellent pickup.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I like the idea of bringing in Butler.  He is a big body with potential.  If he agrees to come in on the vet minimum, I think it would be an excellent pickup.

I also like that he was away from the NBA for a year.  Let's see if that makes him work harder.