Author Topic: The Birdman cometh...?  (Read 14495 times)

Re: The Birdman cometh...?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 06:42:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Andersen-080511

For those of those who haven't read it, gives you the idea of what a classless bum this guy is.  Sure he's athletic but thats about it.  Woudn't be a good fit here imo.

Classless bum?
Sorry, but I think you are being a little harsh.  Chris is a guy who has an addiction problem, and has undergone treatment for it.  Hopefully he will be a better person for it (he will certainly always be an addict, but hopefully he has learned ways to control his addiction).  He may or may not be a good fit in Boston.  Personally, I don't think he is worth the risk, and there are other players I would prefer (Skinner, Elson).  But I can't consider him a classless bum. 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »

Offline Fastbreak

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Well thought out response BudweiserCeltic...a tommy point is on the way..

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't want him here.  I want to see the Celtics get someone more reliable.  He needs to prove he can make it through a whole NBA season.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 07:13:40 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I think he'd be a good addition. The previous Bird we had also had family issues, but I don't think that should be a factor. We really don't know all the sides anyways. I'd be comfortable with him replacing PJ and I'd assume his NBA reinstatement has a provision that any contract would be voided if he messed up. SO if he does mess up, we can go sign PJ again at the end of the season. Ha.

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 07:16:42 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think he'd be a good addition. The previous Bird we had also had family issues, but I don't think that should be a factor. We really don't know all the sides anyways. I'd be comfortable with him replacing PJ and I'd assume his NBA reinstatement has a provision that any contract would be voided if he messed up. SO if he does mess up, we can go sign PJ again at the end of the season. Ha.

And if PJ doesn't want to return?   

No, I would rather the Celtics go out and get a guy now that you know will be there all season (unless there is an injury)

I rather Elson

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not a Birdman fan.  I never felt like he was any more than a human pogo stick.  He could dunk the ball, and he could block a couple shots, but he had very little basketball skill, and was not a good defender.

We need to be looking for a replacement for PJ (assuming he is gone)who understands the team defense, and is able to bang down low with the bigger centers in the league.  Anderson is not that man.

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'd be happy with him if Danny brought him in. He's worth the risk.

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

For those of those who haven't read it, gives you the idea of what a classless bum this guy is.  Sure he's athletic but thats about it.  Woudn't be a good fit here imo.

Classless bum?
Sorry, but I think you are being a little harsh.  Chris is a guy who has an addiction problem, and has undergone treatment for it.  Hopefully he will be a better person for it (he will certainly always be an addict, but hopefully he has learned ways to control his addiction).  He may or may not be a good fit in Boston.  Personally, I don't think he is worth the risk, and there are other players I would prefer (Skinner, Elson).  But I can't consider him a classless bum. 

Where is this evidence of an "addiction problem"?  Has it ever been actually released what he tested positive for?  People merely speculate that it was amphetamines or opiates.  You really think he's the only one in the league?  C'Mon.  Wrong place at the wrong time.

The guy is a "freak of an athelete" and has "an unearthly wingspan" - given that he was drafted years ago I'm not sure how impressed you are by those vivid descriptions but bring him on.

He'd be a great option as a backup C being a perfect foil to Perkins in just about every way.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 09:06:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Classless bum?

Where is this evidence of an "addiction problem"?  Has it ever been actually released what he tested positive for?  People merely speculate that it was amphetamines or opiates.  You really think he's the only one in the league?  C'Mon.  Wrong place at the wrong time.

Only a handful of banned substances would've caused his harsh punishment.

A. Amphetamine, Cocaine, LSD, Opiates, PCP
If a player tests positive for amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA. A player will also be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendre to, a crime involving the use or possession of amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 09:25:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If there was any speculation of Marc Spears that interests me it's that of Zo Mourning coming here as a back up. Anderson interests me not in the least. A guy like Alonzo who could give this team 15 minutes of dominating off the bench interior defense every game is a lot more appealing to me.

1.7 blocks in 16 minutes. Unreal.

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 09:25:43 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

Classless bum?

If a player tests positive for amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP during Reasonable Cause Testing, First-Year Testing, or Veteran Testing, he will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA. A player will also be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendre to, a crime involving the use or possession of amphetamine and its analogs, cocaine, LSD, opiates, or PCP.

So you reaffirmed what I said..thanks.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
To be fair IMO, I think we should consider someone like Birdman Anderson as a 3rd string backup PF/C that is an upgrade over Brian Scalabrine. If he had anything significant to offer, the Hornets would have already re-signed him.

If we want a 'true' center, then Elson or Butler are both better IMO. Both are also stiffs and although far healthier, no better that Scot Pollard in the skill department. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Classless bum?

So you reaffirmed what I said..thanks.

You have any alternative explanation besides him being addicted that would've explained his reckless behavior which have been explained in various articles through the years and explained his punishment for testing positive to a banned substance?

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 10:09:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Go get him Danny. The Birdman would be an incredible addition to this team. He is a tough hard nosed defender who would be a perfect back up to Perkins.

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 10:20:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
We need a backup center, there are already plenty PFs in our roster. Pollard and PJ are way more useful than Birdman. Good luck to him though.