Author Topic: The Birdman cometh...?  (Read 14441 times)

The Birdman cometh...?
« on: June 29, 2008, 03:07:16 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
so ponders marc spears anyway. says along with giddens and pruitt who will be at this weeks camp so will chris andersen who if some remember ainge was interested in to a degree when he came back. obviously that interest has not waned much.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/06/29/his_next_stop_brooklyn/

another guy theyre bring in who i think could also be an answer at backup center is jackie butler. a tall athletic shotblocker who had a few decent games with the knicks when he started out.

i like andersen. if hes back to his old self he should definitely be in the mix as an energy guy off the bench for perk.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Re: The Birdman cometh...?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:19:36 AM »

Offline wolfceltic215

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • all hail garfield-sama!
if Chris comes in cheap, sure, why not.. that'd be a steal!  ;D
1, 2, 3 UBUNTU!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:10:57 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Oh I hope not...I remember reading that article about him and his mother on ESPN...really turned me off on the guy.  We don't need any problems and that's what I see him being.  Sorry but no thanks I'd much rather have PJ come back, or even Scal playing over this guy.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:23:31 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I think we need a tru backup C who can defend. Birdman is more of a PF, and we have plenty of that. Unless he can defend guys like D12 and Big Z, I don't see him coming.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:51:27 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
says along with giddens and pruitt who will be at this weeks camp so will chris andersen

I think you're misreading that.  The article didn't say Andersen will be attending the free agent minicamp.  The Celtics' interest in Andersen is pure speculation:

Forward-center Chris Andersen is a potential addition. Before signing Brown last season, the Celtics kept a keen eye on whether "The Birdman" would become a free agent after completing a two-year ban for substance abuse. New Orleans, however, exercised its right to keep him through last season. The two-time NBA dunk contest participant's athleticism, court speed, shot-blocking ability, and size (6 feet 11 inches) could make him a great fit defensively as Perkins's backup center.

Other than the Celtics keeping "a keen eye" on Andersen's free agent status last year, there's nothing new to report other than that Marc Spears thinks the Celts should be interested.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:16 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
THE BIRDMAN IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR

Sorry, couldn't resist as I thought the thread was about Legend :)

Not sure if we want this guy in our locker room.  All I can see when I think of him is the 23rd try at his dunk in the dunk contest.  I guess that took balls?

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
mark fidrych would have been neat to watch on the red sox...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Oh I hope not...I remember reading that article about him and his mother on ESPN...really turned me off on the guy.  We don't need any problems and that's what I see him being.  Sorry but no thanks I'd much rather have PJ come back, or even Scal playing over this guy.
THE BIRDMAN IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR

Sorry, couldn't resist as I thought the thread was about Legend :)

Not sure if we want this guy in our locker room.

Everyone thinks he's a great teammate, don't know what you guys have read about his locker room behavior, but nothing that I've read has insinuated that he's a bad person to have in a team. Just the opposite.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:48:58 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would love to have Anderson but I have one concern:

Is drinking champagne allowed in his aftercare program?

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I would love to have Anderson but I have one concern:

Is drinking champagne allowed in his aftercare program?

Lol... maybe as long as it isn't spiked with "medicine".

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
if we resign posey, wouldn't that eradicate any chance of bringing on the Birdman? I'd love to have the guy but not at the expense of Posey.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:08 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Andersen-080511

For those of those who haven't read it, gives you the idea of what a classless bum this guy is.  Sure he's athletic but thats about it.  Woudn't be a good fit here imo.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Yup. Not good.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 05:52:04 PM »

Offline bandonox

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17

For those of those who haven't read it, gives you the idea of what a classless bum this guy is.  Sure he's athletic but thats about it.  Woudn't be a good fit here imo.

...and to think i used to like this guy....
ya know.. that's only one side of the story, though... i'm sure he has his reasons.
either way... great hustle guy for ANY team...
furbush.tumblr.com

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 06:17:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yeah, I remember reading that article a while back... I remember thinking, "man, how many times does the mom need to keep mentioning the house and lamborgini". The mom clearly wanted to reap the rewards of her son's success, and I think that's the part of the situation that gets lost in the shuffle. She saw her son as the ticket out of her poor life, and when his life went out of control and she saw that there was no 1 million dollar house for her, she abandoned him. Yep that's right, another parent that abandoned Chris.

No one is disputing that he was destructive prior to his ban, but as far as locker room pressence go... I don't see him as being a problem. But sure, you can be skeptical about his off the court problems catching up to him, but from the looks of it he seems rehabilitated to some extent.

I also wouldn't be surprised if part of his rehabilitation process means that he needs to keep away from his family as he obviously has some heavy parent issues.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:29:24 PM by BudweiserCeltic »