Author Topic: Mem-Bos Idea  (Read 9228 times)

Mem-Bos Idea
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
What about Glenn Davis and Gabe Pruitt for Kyle Lowery?

Memphis needs bigs and has two PG's in Conley and Crittendon.  They could use a big and Pruitt can fill the third PG position for them.   Davis gives them a big body with talent. 

Boston gets a quick PG to backup Rondo.   

Re: Mem-Bos Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Wouldn`t that leave Celtics with 3 players for C-PF positions?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I probably wouldn't even do straight up BBaby for Lowery...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I think that memphis should unload one of their pgs.  They have turned down many offers including Conley and just acquired Crittendon so I'd think that Lowry is the odd man out.  I love his game too, I wouldn't mind him coming here. 

I actually don't think that deal would get it done though for memphis and it would leave us a short frontcourt with PJ leaving.  Denver should consider dealing with them.  I wonder if memphis had any interest in the 30th pick.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I am not even sure Lowry is an upgrade over Pruitt at this point. What I _am_ sure is that he's a worse option at this position than Eddie House.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Wouldn`t that leave Celtics with 3 players for C-PF positions?

It would leave us with two PF's in Garnett and Powe.   Obviously, we'd need to fill a void via free agency, but one could make the argument that Lowry prevents us from having to invest in a more expensive PG leaving more money for that backup C. 

Personally, I believe we are going to have to choose between Davis and Powe for our long term backup at PF since neither is a center.

I am not even sure Lowry is an upgrade over Pruitt at this point. What I _am_ sure is that he's a worse option at this position than Eddie House.

So basically you are telling us you haven't watched Lowry play.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

So basically you are telling us you haven't watched Lowry play.

I have watched Lowry play a lot...and to me he looks like the second coming of Marcus Banks.  Tough player, good at making his own shot...but not a good basketball player.  I have no interest in trading for him.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
I have watched Lowry play a lot...and to me he looks like the second coming of Marcus Banks.  Tough player, good at making his own shot...but not a good basketball player.  I have no interest in trading for him.

The second coming of Marcus Banks?  Please explain the large discrepancy in the assist to turnover ratio. 

Lowry is a good defender/distributor who could shoot better. Not a starter in my opinion, but a nice backup.  It isn't like offering up Davis and Pruitt is offering a ton. 

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Well, Memphis will probably waive Walker before the trading deadline, so he'll probably join us.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »

Offline Norcalceltic

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Well, Memphis will probably waive Walker before the trading deadline, so he'll probably join us.

LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing. I have to start practicing the Antoine shimmy and dust off the old #8 Jersey.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Memphis need talented players. What interest do they have in BBD?

They won 22 games last season and that number isn't rising any time soon. They need talent. Quality ball players who'll lead them to better days. Why would they care about end of bench players like BBD and Pruitt?

The odds of BBD being more than an 8th man are about 1% right now.
The odds of Pruitt becoming a starting point guard are .5%.

What possible interest do either of these guys hold for Memphis?

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

How would you know this?  By your logic (and math) then, there shouldn't be more than one journeyman starter out of the 150 starters in the NBA. 

Could anyone ever predicted that Ben Wallace would be a long time NBA starter after his rookie season?  Or a Bruce Bowen?  Or even a part time starter like Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Darrell Armstrong, Mike James, Anthony Carter, of a few years ago, etc, etc. 

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

How would you know this?  By your logic (and math) then, there shouldn't be more than one journeyman starter out of the 150 starters in the NBA. 

Could anyone ever predicted that Ben Wallace would be a long time NBA starter after his rookie season?  Or a Bruce Bowen?  Or even a part time starter like Kelenna Azubuike, Matt Barnes, Devin Brown, Matt Carroll, Darrell Armstrong, Mike James, Anthony Carter, of a few years ago, etc, etc. 
Pruitt doesn't have enough point guard skills to be projected as a starter. It will take a huge amount of development for him to develop those point guard skills. He can do it but the chances are pretty low. He has a good shot at being a backup point.

I was talking about being a regular starter on a good team rather than someone who lucks into an awful-poor situation for a few months.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 04:02:49 PM by Who »

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 05:39:07 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
Pruitt doesn't have enough point guard skills to be projected as a starter. It will take a huge amount of development for him to develop those point guard skills. He can do it but the chances are pretty low. He has a good shot at being a backup point.

I personally don't view Pruitt OR Lowry as starting PG's on a good team.  Though I will point out that Pruitt's size/defense/ball handling skills project well as a solid backup in this league as a combo guard.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 05:47:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I personally don't view Pruitt OR Lowry as starting PG's on a good team.  Though I will point out that Pruitt's size/defense/ball handling skills project well as a solid backup in this league as a combo guard.
I agree on Pruitt and I'll add that I think Pruitt has a better chance (albeit not a good chance) of starting at shooting guard than at the point. He should be a good backup guard in this league. I'm happy to have him on the Celtics and I hope they allow him to be third string next season instead of a D-League repeat.