Author Topic: Bill Walker to have surgery  (Read 13851 times)

Re: Bill Walker to have surgery
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Hi all,

I asked this question on another Bill Walker thread and haven't gotten a response yet.

I thought it might be more on topic here.

Is there anyone that can give me the rundown on Walker's knee surgeries?

When I googled this subject I saw it reported in some places that he's had three ACL surgeries.

I could only find real evidence of a left ACL surgery during his freshman year.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
That's the same injury Gilbert and Jermaine had last season right? I think so.

Not a pleasant one to have but he should recover okay.

Jermaine should be completely "recovered"  ;D from his about halfway through the last year of his contract.  I'm sure glad he's anywhere other than Boston.

Sounds like Danny drafted based on upside here....Similar to Powe except Walker has the size and body for his position should he get healthy.  Could be a steal if he does get healthy.  If Bilas is right, this will probably be another season where our second rounder gives us more than our first.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I just found the answer to my question and thought I'd share.

Walker had ACL surgery on his right knee in 2003.  ACL surgery on his left in 2007.  Now he has a meniscus tear on his right.

http://www.examiner.com/a-1447904~Bill_Walker_leaving_Kansas_State_for_NBA.html

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:55:06 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I don't know anything about ACL's.

What is the difference between what Tony has suffered, and what Bill Walker has suffered. Are there different magnitudes?

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
From my understanding, he is expected to have a full recovery and I don't see this as an issue - The C's knew about this and have the full data as I'm sure Ainge doesn't only do brain scans...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »

Offline MookieBlaylock

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
This is not "another Tony Allen" as Walker was playing through this at pre-draft camps and STILL IMPRESSING teams. The dude has grit, determination, is only 20 and wants to be a star. He WANTS to be an NBA talent, he doesn't have that attitude of some guy who already thinks he's done enough once he breaks a sweat. I think he fits in with this team and will take away great experience from Ray, Pierce and KG (especially Ray Ray I feel like).

He has time to heal and then he'll have time to impress. He will be an awesome impact player on the C's second-line. 6'5" Larry Johnson.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:54:44 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I must admit, I am a little worried about this meniscus tear. I tore my meniscus playing football and the doctors also told me it would be a 2-3 week recovery. After the operation, they realzed how big the tear was and I ended up rehabbing for 9 months. Not to say this is the case with Walker, but anything is possible.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
I hope he can make the team.
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I must admit, I am a little worried about this meniscus tear. I tore my meniscus playing football and the doctors also told me it would be a 2-3 week recovery. After the operation, they realzed how big the tear was and I ended up rehabbing for 9 months. Not to say this is the case with Walker, but anything is possible.

He said he'll be rehabbing in Boston and be back in three weeks. If he said that I'm sure someone around him gave him that information after medical testing. So hopefully its not that bad and he'll be able to rehab with our EXCELLENT training staff and start working on his game. The younger players should all get back to summer workouts much sooner than the vets. These guys will only succeed if they dedicate their time to playing in the NBA. We have a great organization and we provide all the tools for any young player to succeed here.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I think it is great that the C's are taking a proactive approach to getting this kid healthy.  They don't need him right away, but if he is able to come back 100% healthy, he could be the steal of the draft.

Everyone has been talking about finding replacements for the Big 3 when they start aging...well, Walker has the potential to be that.

I am interested to see what they do for a contract for him now.  They are clearly set on taking it slow with him, so I am guessing they will probably do everything they can to get him on a 3 year deal (using part of the MLE or LLE), so they can get extra time to look at him, and also to gain full bird rights.

The only hiccup would be if Walker opts to do what Big Baby did and refuse to sign for the MLE .... opting instead to be a FA in 2 rather  than 3 years.  With Walker's injury history i would think he'd take as much guaranteed money as possible. The amount we'd pay him using MLE doesn't increase much if at all -- but using the MLE gives us his Bird rights (as you said). He'd be a fool not to want to play with KG, Pierce and Ray for 3 years. (i think Ray will resign with us for less money to retire a Celtic, but that's just me).

The LLE isn't an option, nor should it be since i see us adding someone of Grant Hill's caliber next year with it and you can only use it every other year.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 04:03:24 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

Walker had ACL surgery on his right knee in 2003.  ACL surgery on his left in 2007.  Now he has a meniscus tear on his right.

well, thankfully he only has 2 legs...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

well, thankfully he only has 2 legs...

So mathematically his meniscus tear on his left won't come until 2012. Sweet! :D

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline celticfan10

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4
Don't throw out those old No. 8 jerseys, they might have some value still left in them!

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Obviously this is a bit of a gamble but even if Billy Walker never recovers properly, all we lost is some cash.  Why not give it a shot?
Powe is probably the closest comparison.  He's proved himself to have some nice strengths close to the basket.  I love the way he attacks the rim.  The Celtics went with upside and athleticism in players that other teams were passing up for various reasons (character/injuries).  Not a bad idea when you've already got a championship roster in place.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think it is great that the C's are taking a proactive approach to getting this kid healthy.  They don't need him right away, but if he is able to come back 100% healthy, he could be the steal of the draft.

Everyone has been talking about finding replacements for the Big 3 when they start aging...well, Walker has the potential to be that.

I am interested to see what they do for a contract for him now.  They are clearly set on taking it slow with him, so I am guessing they will probably do everything they can to get him on a 3 year deal (using part of the MLE or LLE), so they can get extra time to look at him, and also to gain full bird rights.

The only hiccup would be if Walker opts to do what Big Baby did and refuse to sign for the MLE .... opting instead to be a FA in 2 rather  than 3 years.  With Walker's injury history i would think he'd take as much guaranteed money as possible. The amount we'd pay him using MLE doesn't increase much if at all -- but using the MLE gives us his Bird rights (as you said). He'd be a fool not to want to play with KG, Pierce and Ray for 3 years. (i think Ray will resign with us for less money to retire a Celtic, but that's just me).

The LLE isn't an option, nor should it be since i see us adding someone of Grant Hill's caliber next year with it and you can only use it every other year.

So forget about Posey? If we resign Posey, would we have any MLE left to give a rookie?