Author Topic: Cloning Tony Allen  (Read 2502 times)

Cloning Tony Allen
« on: June 27, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »

Offline Tenacious D

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 232
Both Giddins and Walker do what Tony do: big hops, athleticsm, defense, rebounding, slashing to the hole, unreliable outside shot, dquestionalbe handle, right down to the ACLs and a bar fight! With these mini-me's, DA can save some cap by letting TA walk.
"Celtics Bring Structure And Discipline To A Chaotic World"

Re: Cloning Tony Allen
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Bill Walker looks like a much bigger guy then TA. But the two of those guys make TA expendable..no doubt about it..

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »

Offline MookieBlaylock

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Giddens has a decent 3-point shot and it'll only get better with NBA shot-coaching. He shot like 60% from the line but 33% from trey land. I figure in a year, with his technique tampered with ever-so-slightly, thats like 70% and 38% from trey. In fact, I bet he clips 40 from behind the line (if he stays healthy, out of trouble, with the team) just because we've got good 3-point shooters and that is contagious.

Walker is going to be able to shoot the 3 eventually too, hell, he might already be well better than the 30% he put up his last year in college. He's been hurt and basically just been shooting. Plus, once a guy who used to rely too heavily on his athletic gifts gets hurt they tend to tie up loose ends on the finesse end, I'm sure he ends up being a good 3-point shooter if he stays healthy and in the league. Hell, he might even end up as athlete-turned-gimmick-3-shooter in 10 years for all we know.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:31:33 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Giddens has a decent 3-point shot and it'll only get better with NBA shot-coaching. He shot like 60% from the line but 33% from trey land. I figure in a year, with his technique tampered with ever-so-slightly, thats like 70% and 38% from trey. In fact, I bet he clips 40 from behind the line (if he stays healthy, out of trouble, with the team) just because we've got good 3-point shooters and that is contagious.

Wow you really love to round up don't you?  Well the good news is since Giddens has been fairly atrocious from the foul line, he's got nowhere to go but up.  That is unless he has contracted chronic Shaqitis.  I wouldn't get too worked up about the 3 point shooting either.  Early in his career, Giddens liked to jack up the 3 early and often, ala Antoine Walker.  Fortunately as he matured, the number of 3's that he threw up went down, and his trips to the foul line increased as he decided to attack closer to the basket.  Obviously I'd prefer that he be the type to create foul shot opportunities, ala PP or Powe, that's quite a bit more valuable than jacking up 3's all day long (again see Antoine Walker).  To make those trips to the line really pay off though he's going to have to improve his foul shooting to the 70-75% area.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.R.-Giddens-74/stats/

Walker is going to be able to shoot the 3 eventually too, hell, he might already be well better than the 30% he put up his last year in college. He's been hurt and basically just been shooting. Plus, once a guy who used to rely too heavily on his athletic gifts gets hurt they tend to tie up loose ends on the finesse end, I'm sure he ends up being a good 3-point shooter if he stays healthy and in the league. Hell, he might even end up as athlete-turned-gimmick-3-shooter in 10 years for all we know.

Take off the green tinted glasses for just a minute.  Not every 2nd round pick turns into a Gilbert Arenas or suddenly gains the skills of a Ray Allen.  I'm glad that we are excited about our youngsters, but trying to turn this kid into something he's not, a 40% 3 point shooter, when for his entire career he has been a 30% guy from there is probably not in his best interests.  FIRST Walker has to get healthy.  THEN he has to prove he can play defense.  THEN he can get onto the court and show us what kind of offensive arsenal he has, if any.