Author Topic: Why did the celtics pass on Gary Forbes hometown hero  (Read 6168 times)

Why did the celtics pass on Gary Forbes hometown hero
« on: June 27, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
With the 6oth pick the celtics selected a center form turkey who will likely never see the nba and passed up on Gary Forbes G/F from Umass who averaged 20.1 points in the competitive A-10. He has good size for position 6'6" 225Lbs and a prolific scorer/slasher who can get to the rim and force fouls If the celtics had drafted him it would be a 0 risk High reward pick because he would be guarenteed no money only a shot to get in the NBA. I think its rediculous and hope Gary can find a team in the NBA and show everyone what they passed up on in the draft he will find a team in the NBA and will be a solid player in the NBA mark my words. Sorry Gary and best of luck to you and thanks for all the memories you gave us from the Umass BBall team.

Re: Why did the celtics pass on Gary Forbes hometown hero
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:29 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I also thought we would take him, but we really had two guys just like him. Maybe we'll sign him after some trades.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:02:06 AM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
With the 6oth pick the celtics selected a center form turkey who will likely never see the nba and passed up on Gary Forbes G/F from Umass who averaged 20.1 points in the competitive A-10. He has good size for position 6'6" 225Lbs and a prolific scorer/slasher who can get to the rim and force fouls If the celtics had drafted him it would be a 0 risk High reward pick because he would be guarenteed no money only a shot to get in the NBA. I think its rediculous and hope Gary can find a team in the NBA and show everyone what they passed up on in the draft he will find a team in the NBA and will be a solid player in the NBA mark my words. Sorry Gary and best of luck to you and thanks for all the memories you gave us from the Umass BBall team.

Yeah, the Celtics should always draft a player based on local ties. Nevermind if he isn't any good or we don't have any room for him since we drafted G/Fs in Bill Walker and Giddens.

Where is Taylor Coppenrath and Chris Herron when you need them?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:05:16 AM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
He was A-10 player of the year so he is a good player with local ties and he is a less athletic version of tony allen who can score way more than allen and watch after some trades and free agency how we are guardwise. SIGN G-FORBES!

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:04 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Because the Celtics didn't want to pay the player picked with the 60th pick.

I think Danny feels that Gidden and Walker have a future in the NBA. Who ever we got with the 60th pick didn't and definitely wasn't going to contribute to this team so why pay him. We can just leave the guy in Europe and forget about him. In my opinion it's just a way to avoid having another contract to pay.

I doubt he ever wheres Celtic green so i'm not even going to learn his name.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Because the Celtics didn't want to pay the player picked with the 60th pick.

I think Danny feels that Gidden and Walker have a future in the NBA. Who ever we got with the 60th pick didn't and definitely wasn't going to contribute to this team so why pay him. We can just leave the guy in Europe and forget about him. In my opinion it's just a way to avoid having another contract to pay.

I doubt he ever wheres Celtic green so i'm not even going to learn his name.

2nd round picks do not have guaranteed contracts, so your rationale is not totally right.  But, a) he had already taken 2 swing players b) now we can have the rights to a guy but not have to pay him.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:14:23 AM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
I would take Forbes over giddens any day Forbes will be better in the long run

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »

Offline Mike Honcho

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Nice.
We can still sign him as an undrafted FA.  29 other teams passed on him as well, I guess demand wasn't that high.
Bring back Milt Palacio

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 02:01:55 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I would take Forbes over giddens any day Forbes will be better in the long run

Sounds like a fan's wishful thinking. No comparison on ability and potential.

There was no reason to take Forbes. He obviously isn't that good and wouldn't stick with the team, so it would be a wasted pick since they would lose any rights over him once they decide to not sign him.

By picking a foreign player who will continue to play abroad, they hold his rights in case he develops and feels he is NBA ready. If he doesn't develop, nothing is lost. If he does, we have 7 footer stashed away for the future.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 02:03:44 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
How is Forbes a hero? What did UMass win?

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 02:59:50 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
If Forbes is that good he can prove himself on a summer league team and show his stuff in Las Vegas
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 07:58:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's because they drafted Giddens and then bought the rights to Bill Walker.  Those are 2 super athletic wings.
With the guy from Turkey, they can stash him abroad for a couple of years before bringing him in.
That's very useful as roster space is going to be limited considering the Celtics already have an experienced championship quality roster as of this date.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 08:08:38 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I understand where your coming from.  I'm a Umass Alum and I am a big fan of Forbes as well.  I'd love to see him get playing time in the NBA.

There a million players like Gary Forbes in the NBA.  Your right, he slashes, he plays hard, takes it strong, and he gets on some hot shooting streaks too.

Sounds a lot like Paul Pierce doesn't it, or maybe Kobe, or Lebron.

The point I'm making is, usually the guys that play the position and role that Forbes plays are Super Stars.  I'd love to be wrong, but Forbes will never be a Super Star in the NBA. 

To be effective he would have to settle in as a role player.  Make a consistent jump shot.  Throw down the occasional dunk and ignite the crowd.  10 - 15 mins a game.

Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within