Author Topic: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....  (Read 35984 times)

Re: What are you doing McHale???
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »

Offline 35Reggie

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't know what sickens me more, the fact that Chris Wallace is an NBA GM or that he was one the Celtics GM :-[

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
What about the possibility that Miller is allready better than Mayo will every become? Look again at his rebound and assist numbers, then look at his shooting percentages.

McHale traded Mayo for Miller, and got Love as a bonus.

The C's should send Davis and Pruitt to Memphis for Conley and Gay  ;)
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2008, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I hate this trade as well.  I think value wise they did very good however I don't think Love and Al are going to be effective together.  I just think Al should be a powerforward.  And that's not going to happen now.  Most of us are complaining about the lack of size on the C's front line which includes Perk and KG.    Minn not only lacks size off the bench (as we do) but lacks it in the starters now as well. I like Love and Miller (I'm actually not that big on Mayo) but I don't see how Love helps this team.  (Miller will be a big help opening things up for Al).    

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 14
McHale won this trade by a mile. 

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
I don't see how anyone thinks the Wolves go anywhere unless you team Big Al with a long, defensively skilled PF/C. Love is a nice player and they will score points, but they'll never get any better than pretty good.

well they certainly don't go anywhere with Big Al and 14 guards, either.  They're still rebuilding, they're in a stacked conference, they're heading in the right direction.

Memphis is nose diving. 

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Before everyone castigates Chris Wallace, remember that this deal saves Memphis around 15 million dollars, and he has been under orders from Micahel Heisley, the owner, to reduce payroll in preparation for the sale of the team.

Wallace was also able to unload Brian Cardinal and the remainder of his terrible contract, which is a coup because Cardinal is probably too injured to play.  He took back Jaric, who stinks, but at least Jaric is healthy and has a gorgeous finace who will provide eye candy for the Memphis fans.

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:41 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I can't wait to play Minny this year.  With Al and Love playing defense, we'll score 150!  Horrible trade for Minny.  Love is the most overrated player in the draft.  He's got the same limitations as Big Baby - undersized, can't jump, game not suited for the NBA.  He was great in college due to overpowering people (as well as some passing skills), but he can't do that in the NBA.  McHale will be fired soon.

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
If Love can get his shot off, this is a playoff team.  It'll require Al to play center a good part of the time.  Miller gives them the sniper they didn't have and opens the court for Al and Love.  (again, if he can get his shot off)  Collins, if they keep him, is the Scal of the trade....(intangibles but no numbers)  They already have Cardinal....only difference is Madsen has hair.  One of them is history.

McHale seems to be trying to have a Bird/McHale reunion.  Only problem he has now is getting either Love or Jefferson to play the kind of defense he did.  And he doesn't have any guards....Let alone the quality he had in Boston.

It also looks like McHale and Wittman liked what they saw in Telfair. 

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 02:00:34 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
It's hard to tell who won this trade because we don't know who'll eventually be a better player among Love and Mayo. But I like it more for Minnesota right now, especially because the next draft seems to be heavy on guards.

Also, McHale will get a lot of salary space in 2010 and he does need it to have a chance of signing Pekovic.

Re: Wolves to Move Mayo to Memphis
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
take out  Love & Mayo -- both of whom should be good -- and this is Miller & Collins for Antoine, Jaric and Buckner.... where do i sign up?

Except you're ignoring the fact that Memphis clears 14 million off the cap next year while Minnesota will have that money tied up in Miller and Collins. I'd rather have Miller's salary to spend on a free agent in '09. (Swapping Jaric's deal for Cardinal's is in Minni's favor though, it's nearly identical money, but Marko's contract has one more year on it.)

There will be no money tied up with Collins.  Minnesota should be quite under the cap next summer, and they should be adding some of their final pieces to the team of the future. As is, their current main pieces are shaping up nicely.

More important: Minny will need to be under the cap in 2010 to try to sign Pekovic, not next summer.

« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2008, 02:17:12 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Memphis is nose diving. 

Well, I think one thing that Celtics fans can agree on is that Chris "the hatchet man" Wallace is among those historically worst GMs. But I think it's premature to say which direction Memphis is heading in. With Mayo, Conley and Lowry, they have to make one more trade don't they? If they land Beasley or ??, that franchise's outlook changes a lot.

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Don't like this trade for Minnesota's perspective. McHale is the worst gm in the NBA. In fact, thats the worst front office in the league when you consider they also have Rob Babcock.

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
Don't like this trade for Minnesota's perspective. McHale is the worst gm in the NBA. In fact, thats the worst front office in the league when you consider they also have Rob Babcock.

Wallace has taken his throne.  He was awful for the Cs, and he's making terrible deals less than a year into his Memphis tenure.

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »

Offline cmoney

• Kristaps Porzingis
I can't wait to play Minny this year.  With Al and Love playing defense, we'll score 150!  Horrible trade for Minny.  Love is the most overrated player in the draft.  He's got the same limitations as Big Baby - undersized, can't jump, game not suited for the NBA.  He was great in college due to overpowering people (as well as some passing skills), but he can't do that in the NBA.  McHale will be fired soon.

He doesn't just lose his strength.  Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..  Comparing him to Big Baby is ridiculous.  He dominated because he's got some of the best fundamentals, loves to bang, and is extremely strong.  He's going to be a great pro.  OJ has bust written all over him.  Another Jamal Crawford or Ricky Davis putting up good bulk with mediocre efficiency on bad teams.  Whoopty do. 

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

He doesn't just lose his strength.  ****.  Comparing him to Big Baby is ridiculous. He dominated because he's got some of the best fundamentals,  loves to bang, and is extremely strong. He's going to be a great pro.  OJ has bust written all over him.  Another Jamal Crawford or Ricky Davis putting up good bulk with mediocre efficiency on bad teams.  Whoopty do. 

Absolutely. A few days ago, in a conversation about another draft prospect, I listed some fundamentals that I think are very useful for every solid center to have:

Can he do the outlet pass on the fastbreak?
Does he know how to hold a ball in traffic?
Can he dribble when he needs to? How high is his dribble?
Can he pass the ball with his left hand?
How's his basic defensive stance? Does he stays flat-footed, back on his heels or with the legs too closed?
Does he bite fakes? Does he focus on the waist of his opponent or in his arms/eyes? Or does he watch the ball?
How does he move laterally? Does he ever cross his legs? Can he slide consistently?
When moving in defense, does he keep his shoulders aligned with his feet?
Can he read his man? If he's asked to make an opponent go to his right, does he know what kind of foot-work he has to do?
Can he guard by fronting without taking his eyes off the ball?
When he tries to block, does he always use the hand closest to the basket?
Can he defend the passing lane and then get back behind his man? Can he play defense before his man receives the ball or only after?
Does he know what kind of pass he's going to get when fronted?
Can he catch and kickback?
Does he know how to do a V-cut to force the defender to reposition?
Can he make plays in the low-block? Drop steps, step outs, shoulder shimmies, turnarounds?
Does he know how to protect the pass to the weakside?
Can he spin? Does he know how to do a pindown screen?
How consistent are his shooting mechanics? Does he have a pure shooting form? Are his mechanics affected when his shot he contested? Does he execute the same way every time from every spot?
Does he get good lift when shooting? How high is his release? How fast? Can he execute a pick and pop midrange jumper? An elbow jumper?
How does he rebound? Can he block-out? Does he know ho to find, pivot, block, react?
Is he a good screener? Does he get good angles? Does he get low and wide?
Does he know how to execute a P'n'R? How does he play in the low post - screen and dive, power plays, etc?
What's his major problem with gaining position? Technique, toughness, will?
Can he contest shots with both his hands?
Can he stay focused on the game for long stretches?
Can he turn to his other side when holding a ball in traffic?
Does he go for a bounce pass when possible?

That got me thinking: is there any big man in this draft that dominates all or almost all these skills? I came to the conclusion there's only one and his name is Kevin Love. No one else, except Hibbert that lacks some essential athletic skills, comes close.