Author Topic: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....  (Read 36090 times)

Re: Wolves to Move Mayo to Memphis
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
take out  Love & Mayo -- both of whom should be good -- and this is Miller & Collins for Antoine, Jaric and Buckner.... where do i sign up?

Except you're ignoring the fact that Memphis clears 14 million off the cap next year while Minnesota will have that money tied up in Miller and Collins. I'd rather have Miller's salary to spend on a free agent in '09. (Swapping Jaric's deal for Cardinal's is in Minni's favor though, it's nearly identical money, but Marko's contract has one more year on it.)

There will be no money tied up with Collins.  Minnesota should be quite under the cap next summer, and they should be adding some of their final pieces to the team of the future. As is, their current main pieces are shaping up nicely.

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
When Minny made their selection my first thought was for our former C Kevin..."not another blunder, OJ doesn't fit with your team".  Yes he's gonna be good.  But I think Kevin did a really good trade here, I think Love & Jefferson can make a nice frontline in TODAY'S nba.  There simply aren't lg dominating centers, game has become speed/guard orientated.  They dumped walkers contract and lowered the teams body fat in 1 quick shot.  Miller spreads the floor (big time) to give added space for Love & Al.  Does old friend Gomes play sf ? D will be a problem if that is the front line.

What are you doing McHale???
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:50 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Last night I was thinking that the Timberwolves may have finally started to turn the corner when they drafted OJ Mayo and Mario Chalmers.  Now one day later he's traded away both of them and ended up with Kevin Love, Mike Miller, and a couple future 2nd round picks. I just don't get it...

Re: What are you doing McHale???
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I get it, because Kevin Love is a great player and the perfect complement to Big Al.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:19 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
What don't you get a Miller is very good and Love is very good.  2 very good players for 1 very good player and picks.  Another Chris Wallace special.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
Love is undersized especially with Jefferson joining him on the front line, and Miller is a good player on a contending team.  I don't think either are going to help in the rebuilding process

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I love the move.  Miller is a better player.  He pulls a defender away from Jefferson.  Love and Collins means Jefferson is no longer a C.

Basically, they have decided to build around Jefferson and are putting players out there to allow him to have more room and grow.

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 09:36:06 AM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
I suppose I am in the minority in not liking this move for the T-Wolves, but then again I am higher on Mayo than most were.  I think he has the chance to be a star.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:44 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
With Craig Smith signed, does this mean that the T-Wolves no longer have room for Ryan Gomes?

I for one think the Wolves did a good job clearing out some dead wood while adding some decent players.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'll ask here again, since no one has responded...is this new slim version of Love capable of playing some SF?

Or would he be eaten up by quicker SF's of the league?

I like what McHale has done though, and I for one don't believe he's done dealing.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
No I agree I think Mayo has the potential to be very good maybe the best player in the draft when all is said and done.  I just really like Miller and Love combo with Jefferson.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2008, 09:43:53 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
After a night of sleep i like this deal for Minny even more. I agree they won't be a great defensive team (i.e. they will be very bad), but:

Jefferson, Love, Gomes, Miller, Foye can all play.

I think Minny can make other moves if they come along, but Memphis has to. BTW - here's a what if: what if McHale never gets nailed for tampering with Joe Smith - I mean he lost 5 first round picks. An argument could be made that he kept trying to "win now" and failed. The alternative was to get bad with Garnett (like the C's did with PP) and then get better. But would KG have let it happen? Hmmm... I'll be interested to see what McHale does over the next two years, he has a shot to make a real strong play to rebuild this franchise, or if he's bounced, he's at least set the table for the next guy.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2008, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'll ask here again, since no one has responded...is this new slim version of Love capable of playing some SF?

Or would he be eaten up by quicker SF's of the league?

I like what McHale has done though, and I for one don't believe he's done dealing.
I don't think it's possible for Love to play small forward in the NBA. Yes I do think he'd get eaten up by the quicker (pretty much every) small forward in the NBA.

Looks like Al has to play center which he is capable of doing. Long term I think it might be better for him defensively (quickness is main reason). Short term probably not.

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Love and Collins means Jefferson is no longer a C.
Since when can Love play C? I thought there were doubts whether he's even a legit NBA PF...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."