Author Topic: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....  (Read 36104 times)

Re: Wolves to Move Mayo to Memphis
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:29 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
And Walker is an expiring deal...

I actually expect Love and Jefferson to play well together, but I don't think Minnesota got enough in return. Miller is overrated and poor defensively.

Someone let The Big Ticket down easy.

Re: OJ Mayo to Grizzlies, Kevin Love to the T-Wolves....
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 01:01:56 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Does Memphis move Mayo to Miami now? I know Riley was saying good things about Beasley, but I wouldn't believe everything that comes out of his mouth. Minnesota has an odd squad right now. Does Miller stay? They have an odd collection of pieces. If Love was a couple inches taller this would be a great trade for Minny, but we shall see.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I think Love and Jefferson will play ok together. But who will play pg for them? Randy Foye?

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:08:59 AM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
McHale looks real good now. He got the better talent (IMO). He got the better fit. He got rid of the worse contract.

Better talent? Probably not. Better fit? No way! The idea was the get Al back to PF. Now you are forcing him into guarding the other team's 5s for the foreseeable future.

Minny has a very odd mix. It's pretty clear they felt Mayo couldn't handle being in Minny.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just throwing it out there, this slimmer version of Love... could he play some SF?

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 01:12:27 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I... I.... I.....  I don't know what to make of this yet.  I really like Mike Miller and think he's an underrated player in this league.  I'm not so high on Love, especially not for the Wolves.  I do not want Al Jefferson spending his career playing center.  Period.  Terrible interior defense is going to kill them.  Mayo's ceiling was 3-4 levels above Kevin Love, and while Miller is a nice player, he's going to be wasting away on this team.  Miller needs to be the 3rd option on a contender, not the 2nd/1st option on a 26 win team.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miller was dealt again before the season.... unfortunately the current T-pup I most want traded (now that Jaric is gone) is McCants... but trading him and Miller would make their recently overflowing backcourt extremely thin.  i need more time to think about this... I don't understand... and now I really don't like the Chalmers trade.  Why not package Telfair in that deal and have Chalmers as the backup?

[dang]it McHale!! Why must you get so infatuated with a specific player and just ignore the rest!?!? I feel bad for Freddie Hoiberg... I read that he was by far the highest on Mayo and thought he was their best option.

Argh...

1 - Foye
2 - Brewer?  McCants?  One has no offense, the other no defense.
3 - Miller, or will he play the 2 and put Brewer at 3?
4 - Love
5 - Jefferson  :'(

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Interesting deal especially for T-Wolves.  Van Gundy said tonight that Miller is incredibly under-valued by a lot of people.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 01:15:51 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Mayo & Jefferson would've been a great core.

Mayo seems like he's gonna be special.

I really don't understand Mchale's thinking.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008, 01:16:16 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
I... I.... I.....  I don't know what to make of this yet.  I really like Mike Miller and think he's an underrated player in this league.  I'm not so high on Love, especially not for the Wolves.  I do not want Al Jefferson spending his career playing center.  Period.  Terrible interior defense is going to kill them.  Mayo's ceiling was 3-4 levels above Kevin Love, and while Miller is a nice player, he's going to be wasting away on this team.  Miller needs to be the 3rd option on a contender, not the 2nd/1st option on a 26 win team.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miller was dealt again before the season.... unfortunately the current T-pup I most want traded (now that Jaric is gone) is McCants... but trading him and Miller would make their recently overflowing backcourt extremely thin.  i need more time to think about this... I don't understand... and now I really don't like the Chalmers trade.  Why not package Telfair in that deal and have Chalmers as the backup?

[dang]it McHale!! Why must you get so infatuated with a specific player and just ignore the rest!?!? I feel bad for Freddie Hoiberg... I read that he was by far the highest on Mayo and thought he was their best option.

Argh...

1 - Foye
2 - Brewer?  McCants?  One has no offense, the other no defense.
3 - Miller, or will he play the 2 and put Brewer at 3?
4 - Love
5 - Jefferson  :'(

If you have Gomes as a "power 3" could you get away with Love and Al down low?

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
No, because I don't think Love can guard the better half of 4s in this league and Al proved that he is incapable, at this point, in guarding just about any 5 with a pulse.

I suppose they'd have been even thinner up front without this trade, but they had assets to get a big guy if needed.  Now their assets are Gomes, McCants, Telfair, and Snyder.  I don't see that worth any half respectable 5 in this league.

I just need to think about it more.  I was happy with Mayo so my gut reaction to this trade is not good, but I'll rethink in the morning...

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008, 01:21:31 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Better Talent:

Incoming: Miller, Love, 2 stiffs
Outgoing: OJ Mayo, 3 stiffs

Better Fit:

I think Al is fine at center, especially in today's NBA. Ideally you'd have a solid 5 and 4 that both compliment him, and he'd play both positions. Well now they have the PF. At anyrate OJ Mayo is not a PG (IMO) and redundant with a lot of what Minny has in Foye and Brewer (but OJ is much better - I'll agree.) Anywho, fit for Minny is more about Salaries and Years, and (in Miller's case) trade-ability.

So McHale runs out a team of Jefferson, Love, Gomes, Miller, and Foye with Hudson, Brewer, Smith, and Collins off the bench. Sure its problematic to have so many redundant pieces - but I think Gomes and Smith both leave at years end if they aren't traded sooner. Plus Cardinal's shorter deal means end of next year they won't have any bad deals on the book. Nice.

UPDATE: Just to clarify according to hoops hype, Minny has only Al Jefe under contract after next season. They'll be in good position to trade this year at the deadline, and the next year. Or they can just let everyone go and be WAY under the cap.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 01:25:32 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Poor Poor Al, Get out of there ASAP big fella!

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 01:27:16 AM »

Offline ucn33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
While the amount of talent included in this trade is pretty much even for each side, it really doesn't make for either team. This seems to me to be a case of two completely incompetent GMs making a trade just for the sake of making a trade to kinda make it look like they're trying to do something to improve their respective teams.

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 01:32:36 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Poor Poor Al, Get out of there ASAP big fella!

Funny. But I agree. He played his heart out for us two yrs ago. On a team without Pierce most of the season and playing with guys like Gerald and Telfair. There was no way that team was going to win. But because he played so well, we were able to get KG and Al it looks like might be destined to years of struggles in Minny (until maybe we trade for him in 10 years ;D )  But seriously he's a great kid. Tommy was devastated when he got traded. Playing with guys like Banks and Blount and Jaric and Gerald and Telfair and Tony Allen and Ricky...I mean life's not fair sometimes.

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 01:35:19 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really like this trade for Minnesota. I don't think they're done trading yet.

Jason Collins is an expiring contract, so could be easily movable.

Getting Mike Miller is great for them though, and now they're somewhat "deep" at the SG position, sot hey can surely package some players and maybe get a real center or something.

He can still play around.