Author Topic: Celtics shopping pick?  (Read 7317 times)

Celtics shopping pick?
« on: June 26, 2008, 05:43:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
According to Ian Thomsen ( http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2008/06/26/yi.jefferson.trade/index.html?eref=T1 ),
 the Cs (30) and Spurs (26) are shopping their picks.

I don't think this is great news--- a couple years ago Portland bought a late 1st rounder for something like pick #45 plus cash..... That price isn't that great from Boston's POV, and the price will get even worse if Spurs and Cs are bidding against each other to get out of the 1st round....
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Celtics shopping pick?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Holley raised a good point on WEEI today.

If the Celtics are shopping their pick to possibly trade out of the draft, isn't that news that they are fairly confident in resigning their key free agents? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

Offline CelticsGlory

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'd consider trading the first for some cash and a second. Get singletary and Gist in the second round would be nice. But if not I hope we get DeVon Hardin with the 30th pick.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, I don't like this.  If New Orleans only got cash for its pick, I can't imagine Boston would do any better. 

If we can get a future #1, beautiful (assuming Danny doesn't like any of the available talent).    Otherwise, pick somebody.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 05:53:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Why is everyone selling their picks late in the draft?

There's some talent there. Bring it in.

The Spurs should be ashamed of themselves for not bringing in the young talent their star trio deserve. Awful decision. They had to use this pick and get a good player. They don't have enough options elsewhere. Had to do it. Replacing their supporting cast is going to be so difficult now.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
yeah, take a chance on getting some talent. We need more bodies.

Otherwise if they do trade out, at least get 2 seconds... one this year, one next.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Why is everyone selling their picks late in the draft?

There's some talent there. Bring it in.

The Spurs should be ashamed of themselves for not bringing in the young talent their star trio deserve. Awful decision. They had to use this pick and get a good player. They don't have enough options elsewhere. Had to do it. Replacing their supporting cast is going to be so difficult now.

Great point and one of the great underrated mistakes GMs across the league make when they have a talented  team.  Luckily i don't buy the hype and if  Ainge trades out of the 1st roudn it's to get 2 seconds.

ainge understands taht to build a dynasty -- and he's now only 15 banners behind Red --- you have to keep adding and adding talent.  He's said he likes competition up and down the roster.

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
If we combined Scal with the pick, I wonder how much we would save luxury tax wise. Then again if you could buy a pick for 3 mil, wouldn't you prefer paying 3 mil than 9 mil to Scal? I'd definitely wait to see who slips. Could be a player and I think the Spurs (Scola) and Suns (Deng, Rondo, Sergio, Rudy) have learned that when you are on top or close to the top it's foolish to skim.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
According to Ian Thomsen ( http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/specials/draft/2008/06/26/yi.jefferson.trade/index.html?eref=T1 ),

I don't think this is great news--- a couple years ago Portland bought a late 1st rounder for something like pick #45 plus cash..... That price isn't that great from Boston's POV, and the price will get even worse if Spurs and Cs are bidding against each other to get out of the 1st round....

Hey if the Spurs want out, how about they sell our 30th and we take their 26th? 8)

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Phoenix always sells and trades their picks to stay under the cap. That is how we got Rondo, Phoenix got Sergio Rodriguez, and the Bulls got Deng. I hope that is not what Boston plans on doing.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 06:14:00 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Hey if the Spurs want out, how about they sell our 30th and we take their 26th? 8)

TP! That made me laugh. I had that thought too!! C'mon Pop, help a brotha out. Duncan's got 4 rings, KG and company need a couple more.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 06:28:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the Celtics are in the luxury tax penalty and they are fairly certain they can retain Posey, why are they going to waste a guaranteed over 3 years rookie contract on a guy that may never crack the top 10 in the rotation. Sell the pick and use the money to offset the tax payment.

As for drafting a Euro and stashing him that is becoming a less viable option. More and more of the Euro teams are paying big money that makes staying there more enticing for the player and some team are starting to lock in no buyout options and 5 year  contracts.

In another year or so this is not going to be an option for teams. It will basically be wasting a pick.

So do you draft a kid, pay $900K per year guaranteed over the next 3 years, the same amount in tax penalties, and watch the kid sit there and do nothing as Danny signs low cost FAs to fill rotation spots because he has about three more years of championship run left in the Big Three?

It's easy to say to just draft and develop but the Celtics are no longer in that phase of their existance and it's not our $6 million being wasted.

No. 30 overall picks
Best pick: Nate McMillan, Seattle, 1986

Top career assists
Name Yr. APG
Nate McMillan  '86 6.1
Marko Jaric '00 3.9
Howard Eisley  '94 3.5
Trenton Hassell  '01 1.9

Top career rebounders
Name Yr. RPG
David Lee '05 7.9
Gheorghe Muresan '93 6.4
Anderson Varejao '04 6.2
Othella Harrington '96 4.4
Nate McMillan '86 4.0

Top career scorers
Name Yr. PPG
Gheorghe Muresan '93 9.8
David Lee  '05 8.9
Marko Jaric '00 7.8
Othella Harrington '96 7.4
Howard Eisley '94 6.5

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bestpicks/080625

The best ever taken at 30 in the lottery era is Nate McMillan 22 years ago? The best history tells us we can expect is a McMillan or Eisley or Othella Harrington in their first couple of years? And these guys stats are the exception on the fantastic end not the norm?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcmilna01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harriot01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/eisleho01.html

If the guy available at 30 isn't on Danny's top 18 list of players available, sell the pick.

It's good business.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Good point, but many good players have come out of the 2nd round. And I believe in Danny's talent evaluations. And if Danny can get enough Powe/Davis type players, he might be able to package them for a star.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
If they gain some cash to help sign Posey, House, TA, and a Vet Big then go for it.

Other than that I think we need some young atlhetic talent at the end of the bench.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:18:51 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
The only guy I want us to pick is Roy Hibbert.  If he is off the board, might as well sell the pick as Nickagneta suggests.  

The players we need next year are Posey and House, not any of these rookies.