Author Topic: clippers trades for 4th pick  (Read 8788 times)

Re: clippers trades for 4th pick
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:56:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
ESPN is saying this trade is tentative based on Mayo not being available.  Clips moving up to grab Gorden.

The Clippers and Sonics have agreed to swap picks as long as the Wolves take O.J. Mayo at No. 3. If Mayo isn't drafted at 3, the deal is off according to two sources close to the information.

With the No. 4 pick, expect the Clippers to take Eric Gordon of Indiana. They've coveted him as the type of dominant scorer that they've been looking for.

The Sonics will take Brook Lopez or Jerryd Bayless at No. 7. However it seems like Lopez will be the guy.

Chad Ford

Okay, the deal being conditional makes sense to me.

Who did the Clips anticipate was going to take Gordon, I wonder?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 04:10:42 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I like this trade for Seattle if Mayo gets taken at #3.  Otherwise, I'm not a fan.  I really think Mayo has the potential to be an elite player, and no number of future draft picks is worth that.

i'm just gonna look for your posts in future and say ditto. or change my name to ditto what hobbs said.

seriously though, that's pretty much word for word what i said to my buddy in an e-mail.

ditto^^

I had Seattle in a private mock draft, and did the same. Iīm not impressed with this yearīs lottery class. Itīs not a big difference if you pick at #4 or #9 once the top talents are gone. No matter how good the Clippers roster looks on paper, I expect them to be a lottery team next season, as always. Even if they make the playoffs itīs still an extra pick in the 15-20 range for Seattle next year. If itīs an unprotected lottery pick, Seattle improves their chances to land either Griffin, Rubio or Mullens.

I like that trade for a rebuilding team.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
ESPN is saying this trade is tentative based on Mayo not being available.  Clips moving up to grab Gorden.

The Clippers and Sonics have agreed to swap picks as long as the Wolves take O.J. Mayo at No. 3. If Mayo isn't drafted at 3, the deal is off according to two sources close to the information.

With the No. 4 pick, expect the Clippers to take Eric Gordon of Indiana. They've coveted him as the type of dominant scorer that they've been looking for.

The Sonics will take Brook Lopez or Jerryd Bayless at No. 7. However it seems like Lopez will be the guy.

Chad Ford

Okay, the deal being conditional makes sense to me.

Who did the Clips anticipate was going to take Gordon, I wonder?
New York?

I don't see either Seattle or Minnesota taking him. Memphis probably wouldn't either.

Gordon was going to NY in a few mock drafts this morning.

I'd have felt secure enough that he'd fall to #7.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's my take:

Seattle trades #4 to Clippers for #7 and future #1 protected.

Miami trades #2 to Clippers for #4 and some players are swapped.

Memphis trades #5 and Cardinal to Knicks for Lee and another player.

#1 Chicago takes Rose - keeps the hometown boy at home
#2 LA takes Beasley - Brand can now be traded because he is replaced
#3 Minny takes Love - McHale is in Love with the kid and everyone knows it which allows all this to happen
#4 Miami takes Mayo the guy they wanted and probably unload some salary
#5 NY takes Westbrook - Knicks get the PG for D'Antoni's offense
#6 NY takes Gallinari - reports say Knicks have tested him and like his stuff
#7 Sonics takes Lopez - the man the wanted all along but not at 4
#8 NJ takes Gordon - the trip to Brooklyn and players to surround LeBron begin in earnest

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 04:59:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gordon at #4?  I don't like that at all.  Clippers much be really enamored with the guy.  I just don't see him as a top 5 talent. 

I was listening on the radio earlier and they had mentioned that Seattle had taken a liking in Westbrook.  Not sure if he'll be there at 7 but if he was, I wouldn't be shocked if he's a Sonic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Gordon at #4?  I don't like that at all.  Clippers much be really enamored with the guy.  I just don't see him as a top 5 talent. 

I was listening on the radio earlier and they had mentioned that Seattle had taken a liking in Westbrook.  Not sure if he'll be there at 7 but if he was, I wouldn't be shocked if he's a Sonic.
Gordon might be the best shooting guard in the draft. I'm not completely sold on him and go back forth but there have been several times during the last few months were I've thought of him as the best shooting guard.

He's a great fit for the Clippers if they take him. He's exactly what they need. A thoroughbred scorer with a money jump shot on the perimeter to space the floor for Brand/Kaman.

Good athleticism. He's a bit short but great wingspan, strength, elevation. Very good scoring ability. There's some defensive potential there too.

If Livingston ever got healthy they'd be a great combination. They cover each others flaws and would be a nice tandem.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Well if LA likes Gordon, then I find it funny that Memphis , Miami, and Minny can't work something out where they all get "their guy". Miami wants Mayo, Minny wants Love, and Memphis wants Beasley.  Why doesn't Memphis give something to Minny to switch spots with them and then give something to Miami to pass on Beasley. Sounds simple. Riley, McHale, and Wallace though.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 05:21:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Gordon might be the best shooting guard in the draft. I'm not completely sold on him and go back forth but there have been several times during the last few months were I've thought of him as the best shooting guard.

He's a great fit for the Clippers if they take him. He's exactly what they need. A thoroughbred scorer with a money jump shot on the perimeter to space the floor for Brand/Kaman.

Good athleticism. He's a bit short but great wingspan, strength, elevation. Very good scoring ability. There's some defensive potential there too.

If Livingston ever got healthy they'd be a great combination. They cover each others flaws and would be a nice tandem.

I just don't think he's worth trading into the top 5 to get.  There's a decent chance he could've slid to the #7 spot.  At the very least, wait until the draft is going on before pulling the trigger on this trade.

He does have that explosiveness at times but I think he's slightly undersized and I question some of his decision making out there. 

You are right about the Clippers need, though.  I just don't see why they pulled the trade to get to #4.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I just don't think he's worth trading into the top 5 to get.  There's a decent chance he could've slid to the #7 spot.  At the very least, wait until the draft is going on before pulling the trigger on this trade.

He does have that explosiveness at times but I think he's slightly undersized and I question some of his decision making out there. 

You are right about the Clippers need, though.  I just don't see why they pulled the trade to get to #4.
I'm in agreement with you on the trading up. I expected him to be there at #7 too so I didn't see the need. But maybe they knew something we didn't? Maybe someone above had fallen in love (gotta like the b'ball romance!) with him and decided to pick to him?

Gordon is an odd one because he's clearly very talented. We might be undervaluing him. I think that a lot when I watch him play. I'm very uncertain of how good he actually is. The whole Indiana coaching debacle, the injury, bad shooting streak for weeks. Very little information. Could be telling the wrong answer? Tough feeling to shake. Then again he might be worse.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Great trade for Seattle.  I am guessing the Clippers are trading up to select Love, who probably would have been there at #7 anyway.  Seattle will be able to select B. Lopez if he is available, or one of the talented PGs (Westbrook, Bayless, Augustin).
Why do you think the Clippers want Love? They have Elton Brand and Chris Kaman.

Is it because he played at UCLA? Sort of a hometown kid sort of.

They've been working out guards like mad-men and are reportedly desperate for more backcourt help.

didn't someone say they were going to trade brand for marion or something... that would make sense then.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 05:43:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Hmm, not sure what the Clippers are doing... that's too bad. I kinda liked their team from a couple years ago. Don't trade away future lottery picks!!!

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Just heard on Espn this deal is off.

The Sonics asked for too much so they're staying with there 4th pick.

I think they're better off if Mayo ends up drpping to them.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Just heard on Espn this deal is off.
Wonder what Memphis and New York do now? Try to leverage their picks over the Clippers wanting Gordon?

Hopefully the Clips still get their man. I'd like to see Gordon on that team.