Author Topic: clippers trades for 4th pick  (Read 8749 times)

clippers trades for 4th pick
« on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:53 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I heard on SVP (ESPN) that clippers made a trade with seattle for the 4th pick. seattle gets 7th pick and future 1st pick from LA

Re: clippers trades for 4th pick
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
who are they after???   No way Mayo falls to 4?  Love?  (thinking local kids)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Quick everyones trading Danny. Sign and trade Vin Baker to the Griz for Conley and their lottery pick before Wallace has time to think about it.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Clippers are taking a guard. That's for sure. Mayo or Bayless look the obvious choices. There would have been a decent shot of either Gordon/Westbrook being there at #7.

Why are Seattle trading down? That makes no sense to me. Presti wants that club to suck so he can mount up as many draft picks as possible. What a waste of Durant's early career. Let the kid compete, give him some frickin' help already!

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like this trade for Seattle if Mayo gets taken at #3.  Otherwise, I'm not a fan.  I really think Mayo has the potential to be an elite player, and no number of future draft picks is worth that.

I wonder if this is a precursor to a potential Miami/LA deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
Clippers are taking a guard. That's for sure. Mayo or Bayless look the obvious choices. There would have been a decent shot of either Gordon/Westbrook being there at #7.

Why are Seattle trading down? That makes no sense to me. Presti wants that club to suck so he can mount up as many draft picks as possible. What a waste of Durant's early career. Let the kid compete, give him some frickin' help already!

I don't think the difference between #4 and #7 is that big. A future Clippers pick could very likely end up being a great thing to have.

Now, I think the Clippers are under the impression that Mayo is going to slip to #4 (McHale loves Love)

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker

I wonder if this is a precursor to a potential Miami/LA deal.

That crossed my mind too, but I believe both teams want Mayo, so I don't know how that would work.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 03:44:33 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Great trade for Seattle.  I am guessing the Clippers are trading up to select Love, who probably would have been there at #7 anyway.  Seattle will be able to select B. Lopez if he is available, or one of the talented PGs (Westbrook, Bayless, Augustin).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 03:47:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I don't think the difference between #4 and #7 is that big. A future Clippers pick could very likely end up being a great thing to have.

Now, I think the Clippers are under the impression that Mayo is going to slip to #4 (McHale loves Love)
Clippers have a frontcourt of Brand, Kaman, Thornton for next season. That can toe-to-toe with anyone. They get a top guard and either keep/move Maggette for the other guard spot and you have one heck of a starting five. You also have some pieces on the bench there that could make a very solid bench.

Clippers should be in the playoffs next season or at least will get GSW close. The pick is nice but it isn't likely to be where the Clippers normally are.

We'll see who Seattle get but Kevin Love or OJ Mayo would have been difference makers for that team. And Bayless might have been too. Those three guys shouldn't be there at #7. The players who are all very unreliable, all potential guys. Risky pick with a big drop off.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Great trade for Seattle.  I am guessing the Clippers are trading up to select Love, who probably would have been there at #7 anyway.  Seattle will be able to select B. Lopez if he is available, or one of the talented PGs (Westbrook, Bayless, Augustin).
Why do you think the Clippers want Love? They have Elton Brand and Chris Kaman.

Is it because he played at UCLA? Sort of a hometown kid sort of.

They've been working out guards like mad-men and are reportedly desperate for more backcourt help.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:50:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Clippers have a frontcourt of Brand, Kaman, Thornton for next season. That can toe-to-toe with anyone. They get a top guard and either keep/move Maggette for the other guard spot and you have one heck of a starting five. You also have some pieces on the bench there that could make a very solid bench.

Clippers should be in the playoffs next season or at least will get GSW close. The pick is nice but it isn't likely to be where the Clippers normally are.

We'll see who Seattle get but Kevin Love or OJ Mayo would have been difference makers for that team. And Bayless might have been too. Those three guys shouldn't be there at #7. The players who are all very unreliable, all potential guys. Risky pick with a big drop off.

I think Seattle is probably hoping Bayless falls to #7.  Even is he doesn't, they'll still get to pick a pretty good guard (or Brook Lopez).

As stated, though, I would have waited to see if Mayo fell.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 03:51:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
ESPN is saying this trade is tentative based on Mayo not being available.  Clips moving up to grab Gorden.

The Clippers and Sonics have agreed to swap picks as long as the Wolves take O.J. Mayo at No. 3. If Mayo isn't drafted at 3, the deal is off according to two sources close to the information.

With the No. 4 pick, expect the Clippers to take Eric Gordon of Indiana. They've coveted him as the type of dominant scorer that they've been looking for.

The Sonics will take Brook Lopez or Jerryd Bayless at No. 7. However it seems like Lopez will be the guy.

Chad Ford

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:41 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I like this trade for Seattle if Mayo gets taken at #3.  Otherwise, I'm not a fan.  I really think Mayo has the potential to be an elite player, and no number of future draft picks is worth that.

i'm just gonna look for your posts in future and say ditto. or change my name to ditto what hobbs said.

seriously though, that's pretty much word for word what i said to my buddy in an e-mail.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 03:53:50 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I agree with RH.  They must be trying to get that Heat pick.  Chad Ford says that they want to pick Eric Gordon, which doesn't make much sense to me.  I'm pretty sure he will slide to the 7th easily.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:47 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think 2nd and Marion for 4th and Brand will happen. MIA could take Beasley for LA and pray that Minn passes on Mayo so that LA could draft Mayo for Miami