Author Topic: Good news for NFL watchers. Bob Papa to replace Gumbel Thursday nights  (Read 4439 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2008/06/nfl_network_to_hire_bob_papa_f.html

NFL Network to hire Bob Papa for its play-by-play gig

The NFL Network wisely has decided to take my advice and hire Bob Papa as its new play-by-play man, replacing Bryant Gumbel, who had held the job for the previous two seasons.

I don't know when the network is announcing this, but three people familiar with the situation said Wednesday that Papa would be the choice.

Big improvement.   Here is examples of his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMvBCy07Rhg

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Papa's pretty good.  Like his stuff on Sirius' Opening Drive.  He's a pretty good boxing announcer too.

Definitely an upgrade from Gumbel but who isn't?

Little surprised Tom Hammond didn't get the gig.  He's worked a lot with Collinsworth going way back.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
If we all could agree that Radmonivic is one of the worst starters in the history of the NBA Finals I think we could all agree that Gumbel was one of the worst play by play guys of all time.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
Does Bob Papa do play by ply for the giants? If so, as a pats fan, I don't know how I feel about that 
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Does Bob Papa do play by ply for the giants? If so, as a pats fan, I don't know how I feel about that 

Breen is the Knicks play by play guy (that explains a lot), and that turned out pretty well for us.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
If we all could agree that Radmonivic is one of the worst starters in the history of the NBA Finals I think we could all agree that Gumbel was one of the worst play by play guys of all time.

THE worst.  And a pompous jerk to boot.   

Anybody would be a huge improvement.  Papa is a gigantic improvement.  Now get Sanders off the show and it'll be perfect.