Author Topic: The Unofficial "Draft Bill Walker" Thread  (Read 9590 times)

The Unofficial "Draft Bill Walker" Thread
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »

Offline midwestceltic

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
Gents,

Danny can not let Bill Walker slide into the Second Round.  I rarely post, but I feel overly compelled to start this topic.  Bill Walker would not only give us cap flexibility down the line(replace TA, perhaps a sign and trade?), but he is a significant upgrade.  He plays both the SG/SF position, and after seeing Posey guard the 4 spot, Walker could one day fill that need. 

You remember the first time you saw Lebron James and you were like, "There's no way this kid is 18."  I had the same thought about the first time I saw Bill.  I am a Jayhawk (wow have the Basketball Gods smiled down upon me), but I've see this kid firsthand at KSU.  He's legit.  I would be stoked if we landed this kid.

Check out this guy's video.  He is a monster dunker (which TA once was, but let's face it, prob won't be again).  His stroke is better than he gets credit for, he gets to the hoop at will, and he is actually a pretty decent guy off the court (where TA is not, trust me, I got stories).  If he is still there, he will be the most talented player left on the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sSsOtnku8M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G33_XkeVS8&feature=related

One thing that our NBA Champions lack is athleticism, and Bill Walker helps fill that void.  I all of Danny's recent quotes is a smokescreen.  Danny can't miss with this kid.  Say hello to Bill Walker, future Boston Celtic.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:04:28 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: THE OFFICIAL "DRAFT BILL WALKER" THREAD
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Not a chance that we draft him.

Conversely, I would like to start an official "Please don't draft Bill Walker" thread but I think that may be against the rules or something.

The guy completely disappeared in the second half of last year. I know he had some decent games but every game i watched I always ended up thinking to myself, "I thought this guy was supposed to be good". That not the type of player that usually does well in the NBA.

Re: The Unofficial "Draft Bill Walker" Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
I'm all over this, as my last 357 posts to CelticsBlog can attribute. I wish those clips showed something besides dunks, because I was impressed with some of his moves to the hoop in the games I saw. He reminded me of, dare I say, Paul Pierce. I think Walker could learn a lot from PP. For me, Walker is the ideal pick, even though I know we could use some interior help. I just don't think you can pass on Walker.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
We definitely need the athleticism, but only if they are good defenders.  Is he?
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:16:21 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
You guys know that he slightly tore his ACL again, right?? He's currently injured. He's no better than TA.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
Is the windmill the only type of dunk he can do  :-\

Bill Walker's knees <<<<< __________

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Why isn't nobody worried about the Gerald Green inside him? I can understand the Bill Walker fascination among others fanbases, but in a Celtics board? He plays completely out of control, has a tremendous lack of fundamentals and relies heavily on his athleticism. Sure, he can be worth the risk, maybe he's an intelligent and smart player who had the bad luck of being badly coached till now; but right now, nobody can guess that.

Re: THE OFFICIAL "DRAFT BILL WALKER" THREAD
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »

Offline midwestceltic

• Jaden Springer
Not a chance that we draft him.

Conversely, I would like to start an official "Please don't draft Bill Walker" thread but I think that may be against the rules or something.

The guy completely disappeared in the second half of last year. I know he had some decent games but every game i watched I always ended up thinking to myself, "I thought this guy was supposed to be good". That not the type of player that usually does well in the NBA.

If you watched the games, teams started shutting him down and letting Beasley "get his 30+".  So once the teams shut down Bill, KSU was dead in the water.  He was also a freshman (negating the couple games the season before which he sat due to injury).  Now, having said that, check out what DraftExpress wrote about him...

NCAA Tournament Performers, 3/26/08-- Part Two
March 26, 2008
Bill Walker closed out his freshman season in the NCAA Tournament much stronger than he did the regular season. After four underwhelming performances in the three weeks leading up to the first round, including an 0-14 shooting performance against Texas, the explosive forward put together two very strong games in which he exceeded his scoring averages. Most impressive though was his ability to carry Kansas State during stretches of their first round upset of USC, while teammate Michael Beasley was on the bench dealing with foul trouble.

The 22-point performance really gave us an opportunity to see the full offensive repertoire that Walker brings to the table. He started right away by knocking down a long jumper from beyond the arc in the game’s opening minute. Walker’s 3-4 shooting performance from deep was somewhat uncharacteristic, as he shot just over 30% from this range during the season and was very inconsistent with his three point shooting. Walker also looked more comfortable shooting off the dribble than he had since the last time we reviewed him. A couple of times in the first half he was able to pull up against Trojan defenders and with seemingly little effort knock mid-range jumpers. This is an area of Walker’s game that is still being developed, and he doesn’t go to it very often, preferring to either catch and shoot or take the ball straight to the rim. As has been previously mentioned in write ups on Walker, his somewhat awkward shooting form deters him from being a more consistent outside shooter. He releases the ball out in front of him rather than higher over his head, as well as tending to push the ball more than he allows it to roll off his finger tips.

He needs to work on his fundamentals, but hands down, the kid is a gamer.  Would have been a lottery pick had he not tore his ACL.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
You guys know that he slightly tore his ACL again, right?? He's currently injured. He's no better than TA.

Actually, it was being reported that it was just a sprain, and there were no tears (and I think it wasn't even the ACL).  Do you have a link for this?

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
From the SG/SF's that seem to be slipping, Courtney Lee and Bill Walker are my top choices.

At the moment I'm leaning towards Courtney Lee, just because he seems to have a great pull-up jumper, and I love players that have that skill. It facillitates penetration, and spreads the floor.

I can see some Rip Hamilton in him. He seems to be a good/decent defender too.

From all accounts, he seems to be a great kid, personality wise. He seems like he can fit in just about anywhere and flourish with just being a role player.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Walker is going to the Pistons at #29.  I believe the rumor of that promise to be true.  If it isn't, I think Walker deserves serious consideration if available.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 04:02:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Courtney Lee or Kyle Weaver would make my day.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »

Offline midwestceltic

• Jaden Springer
I'd be content with Courtney Lee too, but from most accounts he'll be taken in the early 20s. 

What's Kyle Weaver's deal?  I haven't seen him in any 1st round projections.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:52 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Weaver is a 6'6" PG/SG that is ranked as a top 5 defender in this draft. He can guard the PG, SG, and SF position. He is a slasher with a solid mid range game. His slashing ability allows him to create for his team. I think hes a great pick IMO and hes the guy I want more than anyone in this draft. He seems like the kind of guy that could really fit in with our veteran core. Theres a YOUTUBE video about off the court stuff. Check it out.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Weaver is a 6'6" PG/SG that is ranked as a top 5 defender in this draft. He can guard the PG, SG, and SF position. He is a slasher with a solid mid range game. His slashing ability allows him to create for his team. I think hes a great pick IMO and hes the guy I want more than anyone in this draft. He seems like the kind of guy that could really fit in with our veteran core. Theres a YOUTUBE video about off the court stuff. Check it out.

From nbadraft.net:

Weaknesses: Must improve his shooting. Really struggles shooting from the perimeter. Must focus on improving his midrange shot off the dribble as well as his perimeter shot

To me if a guy is a tweener, and might not really be a fit as a PG, then he [dang]ed well better be able to shoot well.  If that's the case, then I don't want the guy.  If you think he can be Rondo's backup at PG, then maybe.