Author Topic: Mission Impossible: Trade Jamal Tinsley  (Read 10163 times)

Mission Impossible: Trade Jamal Tinsley
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
You're Larry Legend (your dream come true!)

You've just aquired TJ Ford to run your point and sent big JO packing.  Since your team now sucks, you might as well blow it up and start over....only 1 problem: your other PG is 30 years old, making $6.3 mill for the next 4 years, and can't seem to stay on the court for 2 consecutive games. (blood curtling screams in the background)

Your task is to find some team to dump tinsley on that fits within the trade restrictions.  You must rationalize the trade on behalf of the other team as well...

I came up with 2 scenarios that work, i will try to justify them to you - let me know what you think.

scenario #1: PACERS send Jamal Tinsley and Shawne Williams to the HEAT for the immortal Mark Blount.
rational: Blount's deal is one year shorter and he provides another body to occupy the C position that JO leaves behind.  Miami gets a vet PG to help out DWade and the Matrix - not Riley's first choice, but maybe enough to get them into the playoffs - we all know how dangerous a healthy DW is in the playoffs.

scenario #2: Pacers send Jamal Tinsley and a protected 1st round pick to the BLAZERS for Channing Frye and Steve Blake.
rational: Pacers get 2 young guys who have shorter contracts and could become part of their future nucleus, not to mentions help at the F/C position and Ford's insurance policy in Blake.  Blazers geta PG who is at his best when he has a big man to feed/ screen and roll with - Oden and Aldridge fit that bill.  Blazers also get a future pick and still have Jarrett Jack to spell Tinsley when needed.

If you're Kevin Pritchard or Pat Riley, do you even consider the respective scenario? I know they are reaches, but Jamal Tinsley isn't an easy commodity to trade.

Use the ESPN trade machine and come up with a rational that's better than mine.  If ya do i will give you 5 - count them, 5! Tommy Points.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Re: Mission Impossible: Trade Jamal Tinsley
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I don't think the Blazers would do it.  Tinsley isn't the kind of character guy that they're looking for right now.  If they'd trade Zach Randolph for Channing Frye, then they won't even roll the dice with Tinsley.

Besides, they have a glut of point guards right now (Blake, Jack, Fernandez, Rodriguez), and will likely be trading one of them.  It doesn't make sense for them to add another guard who doesn't fit in with the team's youth movement or team mentality.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1024~3219~2016&teams=1~11~11&te=&cash=

best i could come up with before i realised tinsley is over-payed and overrated and the only gm's stupid enough to take him are gone (king and thomas).

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:01:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It can happen.  Look at Mark Blount. 

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:07:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
That Atlanta trade would be good for both teams.

The Lakers should look into Tinsley. They could offer up either Radmanovic or Luke Walton. Neither of those guys are going to be deciding factors on a title winning team so might as well roll the dice on a point guard that could be.

Tinsley would be great in Denver. Contracts ooh I don't know, throw in Steven Hunter and some makeweight deal.

Cleveland is another possible destination depending on what they're doing with Delonte. They'll likely want a shooter.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Jamaal Tinsley, Stephen Graham, Shawne Williams for Tony Battie, Brian Cook, JJ Reddick + 2nd round picks in 08, 10.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=1024~3219~2016&teams=1~11~11&te=&cash=

best i could come up with before i realised tinsley is over-payed and overrated and the only gm's stupid enough to take him are gone (king and thomas).

The Hawks would be stuck with Bibby and TInsley in that scenario right? I think Pacers fans would celebrate in the streets if they could make that deal happen.

Champkind - i agree with you that the Blazers wouldn't make this trade, but in that scenario, although they lose 2 young guys, one (frye) is the odd man out of the big man rotation while the other (blake) isn't going to be able match the play of the western conference playoff point guards (assuming the Blazers make it with this lineup), plus they come away with another pick.  I'm actually a fan of steve blake's game and don't think tinsley has a lot left, but i do think that, with the right supporting cast, he can still cause a lot of problems for opposing defenses.  Also, anyone who watched Oden in college knows he's kind of a black hole once he touches the ball in the post - they'll need someone creative to get him the ball under the hoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinLtRRc3hc&feature=related
Just in case we forgot what a healthy Jamal Tinsley can do

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Tony Allen and Brian Scalabrine for Jamal Tinsley

The Pacers need a low post presence since JO is gone and Scal fits the description. And a Tony Allen / Danny Granger tandem looks terrific for their future.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Talent isn't an issue with Tinsley. I thought he was right there for an All-Star spot this season before getting hurt. Health is an issue.

Only once in the last 5 seasons has he played more than 55 games. That season he played 72 games and it was by far his worst season as a pro. He was clearly struggling through several injuries, played the worst defense of his life and didn't have his usual explosiveness offensively.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I think Larry and the Pacers are going to have to buy Tinsly out.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
looking at that video and seeing the highlights of our team just standing around or jogging back when the other team is attacking just made me chuckle. i'm gonna youtube some clips of last season to make me smile at how bad we were and maybe reminisce about how good big al is. we've come a long way baby.

I think Larry and the Pacers are going to have to buy Tinsly out.

so do i unless larry pulls of something quite remarkable.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
How about: Indian sends Tinsley to cleveland

Cleveland Sends Eric Snow and next year's protected 1st round pick

this works out on the espn trade machine. Pacer's can just be happy to get a shorter contract with snow and a 1st rounder for getting rid on tinsley, and cleveland can get a point guard who can lead them deep in the playoffs if healthy without giving up much.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
How about: Indian sends Tinsley to cleveland

Cleveland Sends Eric Snow and next year's protected 1st round pick

this works out on the espn trade machine. Pacer's can just be happy to get a shorter contract with snow and a 1st rounder for getting rid on tinsley, and cleveland can get a point guard who can lead them deep in the playoffs if healthy without giving up much.

I can't see Cleveland making this trade.  They've already found their PG in Delonte (or so cavs fans say) and have 2 capable backups in Gibson and Jones.  I'm sure they'd love to dump eric snow, but giving up a draft pick to do so is not worth it.  If the cavs also believe LBJ will be headed to New Jersey(Brooklyn) in a few years, they will need to stash all the picks they can.

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The problem with Jamaal is not exclusively his health. At least not his physical health.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
OK, I`ve played with the trade machine and tried to combine several rumours. The result was a 4-way-trade. I know they rarely happen and it probably needs some tweaking, so don`t shoot me, it`s just an idea^^

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=788~831~1975~125~294~2775~250~2760~1013~1024&teams=11~11~8~11~5~7~7~7~5~7&te=&cash=

Throw in Detroit`s #1 and Cleveland`s 2009 #1 to Indiana.

Denver gets 4 starters, Cleveland gets Rip Hamilton for expirers, Detroit gets C. Anthony, and Indiana loses Granger, but gets Draft Picks and expirers for Tinsley`s and Murphy`s ugly contracts.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.