Author Topic: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year  (Read 13162 times)

Re: Predictions for 09 Rookie of the year
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
beasly will easily win the ROY in my opinion. The guy put up HUGE numbers in college. He is better than Durant and Durant still won. The voters seem to vote not for the best rookie but for the one with the highest scoring numbers. Otherwise Horford would have beat Durant.
Maybe Mayo will get a chance as he will probably take a LOT of shots a la Durant and put up high scoring numbers.
I think a lot of people here are forgetting that Greg Oden basically played with ONE HAND at Ohio State. He had an injured hand that severely limited his play in his first 15 games or so. If he's healthy he has a chance to put up solid numbers. But I agree that he'll be limited by both foul trouble and the fact that Portland is deep with offensive players. He'll be the 3rd option at best and will score on put backs and the likes.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Koufos for ROY and Kalathes runner up :D

koufos is american isn't he? sure sounds greek though!

he is greek,but he had lived in the US for his whole life!!His parents are greek and he has caps with the U21 national team!
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2008, 10:55:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
2009 ROY will be O J Mayo. Why? Because of where he will play and who he will play with.

Greg Oden will be playing on a team that has Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldredge, Travis Outlaw and Jerryd Bayless. He will be learning a new game and not be getting the calls a lot, considering he plays in the Western Conference with a lot of star bigs that will be getting the calls while he racks up the fouls. An Al Horford rookie year like 10 pts and 9 rebs is what I think is likely and anything more is just expecting to much from a guy that hasn't played ball in a year and has never played against guys that are as big, strong and talented as he is. An adjustment will be necessary for him.

Beasley in Miami, if that is where he ends up, will be the third option behind Wade and Marion. He will also have Haslam playing in front of him until he displaces him. I expect a lot from Beasley eventually but how much scoring he will do with Wade and Marion throwing up 60% of that teams shots is just a big question mark. Again an 11 pt and 7 reb year will be a year well done.

Rose stands zero chance of being ROY. There's decent talent in Chicago and with an unproven coach and the possible return of Gordon and Deng, I don't see a ton of scoring out of Rose either. He'll need to be a facilitator and if he doesn't end up with some ungodly assist numbers, he stands little chance of winning the award.

That leaves Mayo who will be playing alongside Rudy Gay and no one else. Mayo will be jacking up tons of shots as will Gay. They will have no one underneath rebounding so Mayo just might pick up a surprising amount of rebounds simply because no one else will be doing it. Mayo could very well go 20/4/4 and with those numbers he's ROY. And it's only because he will be option 1 or 1A and, like last year with Seattle, he will put up numbers because that is what Memphis will be all about. Putting up numbers not wins.

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
1. J.R. Giddens
2. Bill Walker
 ;D

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2008, 12:05:28 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
2009 ROY will be O J Mayo. Why? Because of where he will play and who he will play with.

Greg Oden will be playing on a team that has Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldredge, Travis Outlaw and Jerryd Bayless. He will be learning a new game and not be getting the calls a lot, considering he plays in the Western Conference with a lot of star bigs that will be getting the calls while he racks up the fouls. An Al Horford rookie year like 10 pts and 9 rebs is what I think is likely and anything more is just expecting to much from a guy that hasn't played ball in a year and has never played against guys that are as big, strong and talented as he is. An adjustment will be necessary for him.

Beasley in Miami, if that is where he ends up, will be the third option behind Wade and Marion. He will also have Haslam playing in front of him until he displaces him. I expect a lot from Beasley eventually but how much scoring he will do with Wade and Marion throwing up 60% of that teams shots is just a big question mark. Again an 11 pt and 7 reb year will be a year well done.

Rose stands zero chance of being ROY. There's decent talent in Chicago and with an unproven coach and the possible return of Gordon and Deng, I don't see a ton of scoring out of Rose either. He'll need to be a facilitator and if he doesn't end up with some ungodly assist numbers, he stands little chance of winning the award.

That leaves Mayo who will be playing alongside Rudy Gay and no one else. Mayo will be jacking up tons of shots as will Gay. They will have no one underneath rebounding so Mayo just might pick up a surprising amount of rebounds simply because no one else will be doing it. Mayo could very well go 20/4/4 and with those numbers he's ROY. And it's only because he will be option 1 or 1A and, like last year with Seattle, he will put up numbers because that is what Memphis will be all about. Putting up numbers not wins.

I agree. A long as Mayo doesn't play dreadful like he did in some games last year, he should be very productive. He also won't be the absolute #1 option like Durant was last year. If he plays well at all, he has the best shot.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I agree with the sentiments some others have brought up.  Oden will be sharing the ball with Roy, Aldridge, Bayless, Webster, and Outlaw.  That team already won 41 games last year, I don't see them getting higher than 50 this year.  Similarly, Beasley will have Wade dominating the ball and will be deferring to the veteran Marion.  Mayo is going to be the 2nd option to Rudy Gay, and will have the ball in his hands a lot. 

Seems to be Mayo's to lose in my opinion.

Oh.... and as far as my favorite prospect/best player 5 years from now (excluding Oden from this class)?  Derrick Rose.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 12:55:29 AM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:05 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Is Oden a rookie?  Either way, Beasley beats him out.

I don't like this. Did the Tralblazers red shirt him or something?  :P

My vote is:

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96
1.5 inches shorter than the other leg.  Thats all i gotta say.

And didn't Adrian Dantley have one leg that was 2 or 3 inches shorter than the other? No slouch he was. Averaged almost 25 a game and shot .540 from the floor. Guess that leg thing wasn't a big deal.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 03:30:32 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
1.5 inches shorter than the other leg.  Thats all i gotta say.

really? I didn't know that. But nonetheless, I don't think Oden will be ROY either. I think he is overated, and I mean 19 fouls in 2 preseason games, come on, by no means am I saying he will get 19 fouls in 2 regular season games (because he can't :P) but I don't see him being productive enough and get enough minutes to earn him ROY against Mayo and Beasley (maybe even Rose will be better than Oden)
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 12:41:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I agree with the sentiments some others have brought up.  Oden will be sharing the ball with Roy, Aldridge, Bayless, Webster, and Outlaw.  That team already won 41 games last year, I don't see them getting higher than 50 this year.  Similarly, Beasley will have Wade dominating the ball and will be deferring to the veteran Marion.  Mayo is going to be the 2nd option to Rudy Gay, and will have the ball in his hands a lot. 

Seems to be Mayo's to lose in my opinion.

Oh.... and as far as my favorite prospect/best player 5 years from now (excluding Oden from this class)?  Derrick Rose.

OJ-MAYO!  *clap clap clapclapclap* OJ-MAYO *clap clap clapclapclap* OJ-MAYO

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.