Author Topic: Chad Ford's Mock Draft 7.0  (Read 13760 times)

Re: Chad Ford's Mock Draft 7.0
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I put CDR pretty even with Lee on my wishlist (although still behind Walker...but I certainly understand why they would pass on someone with such an injury history).  I think they are both similar in that they both could step in almost immediately and be contributors (and make T.Allen expendable), while still having the upside to be a starter in this league.

They also are pretty different though.  Lee is much more of a shooter in the Rip Hamilton mould.  He likes to run around, off picks, and can be just as effective playing off the ball, then having the ball in his hands.

CDR on the other hand is more like Paul Pierce (in style, not ability).  He is a slasher, who is great at making his own shot.

I think CDR has a little more upside, but I think Lee will fit into this team a little more right now.

It's a tough call, but if either of them fall to us, I would be very happy.

agree pretty much with all of this. i dont think you can really go wrong with any of the 3. agree 100% with the lee-rip and the CDR-paul comparisons. i myself was drawing the same comparisons a month ago. if we go big i like thompson or hardin but i think one of the 3 wings is definitely the way to go here and im confident danny will take the right one.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
CDR is smart, seems to be a hard worker, and is a student of the game. He would make a great Celtic. Bill Walker, who I love, probably has more upside ultimately, but CDR could make a good backup for Ray right away. Would love this pick.

my biggest fear about bill walker is that he's the second coming of gerald green...

Completely different players.  Walker is built like Pierce.  He's not a stringbean.  And unlike Gerald, Walker knows how to play. A better comparison for Walker is the young Caron Butler.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
CDR is smart, seems to be a hard worker, and is a student of the game. He would make a great Celtic. Bill Walker, who I love, probably has more upside ultimately, but CDR could make a good backup for Ray right away. Would love this pick.

my biggest fear about bill walker is that he's the second coming of gerald green...

Completely different players.  Walker is built like Pierce.  He's not a stringbean.  And unlike Gerald, Walker knows how to play. A better comparison for Walker is the young Caron Butler.

if he ends up in boston, then i hope you're right...if he ends up anywhere else i hope i'm right... ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Terrible Mock. Kevin Love and Marresse Speights are both way, way too low.  And if Memphis takes Gordon with Pick #5 instead of Love, then Chris Wallace really is an idiot.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

actually my fear about walker is not that hes too stupid to grasp nba concepts or too lazy to put the work in. walker has gone on record as being a HUGE paul pierce fan and a lover of the type of offense we run here. after some early extra-curriculars earlier this last college season he seems to have settled down and is busting his butt to get to the next level. my concern and the concern of many is this latest knee injury and whether its gonna be problematic for his career. if it isnt it would be tough to pass on this kid. all the athleticism you could ever want. projects to be a solid nba defender and his shot has looked better in workouts before he hurt himself.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:31 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Let me add that there is NO WAY that Ainge would pass on Serge Ibaka to take either CDR or Walker.  That's another ridiculous thing about Ford's mock.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 11:28:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I put CDR pretty even with Lee on my wishlist (although still behind Walker...but I certainly understand why they would pass on someone with such an injury history).  I think they are both similar in that they both could step in almost immediately and be contributors (and make T.Allen expendable), while still having the upside to be a starter in this league.

They also are pretty different though.  Lee is much more of a shooter in the Rip Hamilton mould.  He likes to run around, off picks, and can be just as effective playing off the ball, then having the ball in his hands.

CDR on the other hand is more like Paul Pierce (in style, not ability).  He is a slasher, who is great at making his own shot.

I think CDR has a little more upside, but I think Lee will fit into this team a little more right now.

It's a tough call, but if either of them fall to us, I would be very happy.

agree pretty much with all of this. i dont think you can really go wrong with any of the 3. agree 100% with the lee-rip and the CDR-paul comparisons. i myself was drawing the same comparisons a month ago. if we go big i like thompson or hardin but i think one of the 3 wings is definitely the way to go here and im confident danny will take the right one.

As I have said before, i am not a Hardin fan...but I am intrigued by Thompson.  I have never seen him play a game, so I can't say anything for sure, but from everything I have heard, and what I have seen about him on TV, he is tall, long, athletic, and is an excellent scorer and rebounder.  His only real issue is defense...but defense can be taught if he has the tools, which it sounds like he does.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Let me add that there is NO WAY that Ainge would pass on Serge Ibaka to take either CDR or Walker.  That's another ridiculous thing about Ford's mock.

Well, supposedly Ibaka has some offers for big contracts in Europe, and is saying that if he is picked in the first round, he will likely never come over to the US.  So they would have to trade down for him.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Maybe if Ibaka is available, McHale, with Pick #31, will help the Celtics out again.  How about trading pick #30 for pick #31?  That way, the Celtics can pay Ibaka more when he's ready to come over to play in the NBA.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Maybe if Ibaka is available, McHale, with Pick #31, will help the Celtics out again.  How about trading pick #30 for pick #31?  That way, the Celtics can pay Ibaka more when he's ready to come over to play in the NBA.

man, if that were the case one would have to wonder if mchale is secretly on the celtics payroll.  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Maybe if Ibaka is available, McHale, with Pick #31, will help the Celtics out again.  How about trading pick #30 for pick #31?  That way, the Celtics can pay Ibaka more when he's ready to come over to play in the NBA.

Its certainly a possibility. 

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
[quote author=bucknersrevenge

actually my fear about walker is not that hes too stupid to grasp nba concepts or too lazy to put the work in. walker has gone on record as being a HUGE paul pierce fan and a lover of the type of offense we run here. after some early extra-curriculars earlier this last college season he seems to have settled down and is busting his butt to get to the next level. my concern and the concern of many is this latest knee injury and whether its gonna be problematic for his career. if it isnt it would be tough to pass on this kid. all the athleticism you could ever want. projects to be a solid nba defender and his shot has looked better in workouts before he hurt himself.
[/quote]

I worry about the knee too, but we are picking at #30. If Walker's around at that spot, you've got to take a talent like that with such a high basketball IQ, even if it's a risk. If we were picking at #15 or even #20, I'd give it a second thought. Not at #30. Besides, people made a big deal of Powe's injury too, no?

I really love Bill Walker. I think a lot of people are going to be kicking themselves for not taking this guy. Let's hope Danny's not one of them.

Ford Mock 7.0: CDR?
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Ford's latest mock has us scooping CDR at 30.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080626

That would be a money pick in my opinion.  He reminds me a lot of Posey in how he plays (except the choke-job in the NCAA Finals) and is definitely NBA ready.  Keep him or not, he is a valuable asset.

On a side note (not Celtics related), I sat next to DJ Augustin on a flight to Portland LAST summer, and find it rather...ironic..that Ford has DJ going to the Blazers through a trade.

Quote from: Chad Ford
The skinny:  If Augustin is the pick, he probably won't be wearing a Nets hat for long.

The Nets appear to have three players in mind -- Kevin Love, Brook Lopez and Danilo Gallinari. If those three are off the board, as we project here, then look for New Jersey to make a trade with Portland that would bring the Nets the No. 13 pick, the No. 33 pick and Jarrett Jack for the No. 10 pick and Maurice Ager. In that case, the Blazers would probably want Augustin.
God bless and good night!

Re: Ford Mock 7.0: CDR?
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
If we can get one of Chris Douglas-Roberts, Bill Walker or Courtney Lee, I'd be very happy with the pick. If not one of those, the one foreign player I would want is Nicolas Batum.

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 02:04:01 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
CDR at 30 would be unbelievable.

Bayless falling to 12? What? If he goes past 7, I'll be surprised.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/