Author Topic: Hibbert will not drop...  (Read 4476 times)

Hibbert will not drop...
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
despite the bold claims and snobbery by Cs fans who don't seem to recognise Perkins is way below average without KG. Basically a big toucgh guy with limited moves and a propensity to foul. Hibbert is attracting too much attention to drop - C's will probably get Devon Hardin which ain't so bad.

Re: Hibbert will not drop...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:08:20 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
despite the bold claims and snobbery by Cs fans who don't seem to recognise Perkins is way below average without KG. Basically a big toucgh guy with limited moves and a propensity to foul. Hibbert is attracting too much attention to drop - C's will probably get Devon Hardin which ain't so bad.

Good thing we aren't without KG

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dont know why you would want hibbert.  He seems to be slower than perk, fouls just as much as perk, and really isnt gonna get much better as he has already plateaued in college. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:18:16 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Despite all the dislike for Hibbert, I think he would be a major steal at #30. He showed that he couldn't really carry a team by himself, but he just needs to fill a role on the C's. When he had more players around him he was better.

I expect that his passing, height, defense and rebounding/shot blocking would be a major compliment to the C's. I'm on board.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Another Hibbert related thread?  :P

My only problem with Hibbert is his lack of quickness to play in our defensive system. Every P'n'R would kill him. Otherwise, he's a very good player. 10 years ago he would be a very good player, a la Rik Smits. Why do people keep saying he has plateaued in college? Of course he hasn't, he's 21 years old.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think he would be a good pick at 30 also. I'm just not down with all the Perk hate.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:34:29 AM »

Offline michael32951

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
Perkins has shown he is a very good center.  I don't know where you get your opinion of him but it is flawed.  He totally outplayed Bynum during his "breakout" season, everyone is considering the next great center so Perk must be a hall of famer! He took over game 5 against Detroit with the likes of Wallace, one of the best in the league.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:07 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm reading your post to suggest you're down on Perk, but are okay with Hardin.  Is that accurate?  If so, what's your reasoning?

As I see it, Hardin is a guy who put up mediocre numbers for four years in college, and despite being athletic, there have been plenty of questions about his work ethic and learning curve.  He as no offensive game at all.  None.  Basically, his upside is Kendrick Perkins. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is a shame Hibbert doesn't drop because the Celtics could have gotten a better return on trading the pick if he did.

As for him on the Celtics, he doesn't move well enough defensively to replace Perk.

For those who undervalue Perk, they got to see first hand what his effect on this team is when he missed game 5 and the LA big men were able to get off big on the Celtics. 

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Why the whole Hibbert vs. Perk talk? Why the whole Hibbert can't replace Perk talk?

It seems very irrelevant to me. Hibbert should be a good addition regardless if he's better than Perk or not.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »

Offline cordialb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Perkins is a VERY solid center who we are very lucky to have.  Very few teams in the league possess centers who are sound defensively but also have enough offensive ability to not be a complete liability.  Perkins has shown to be very good defensively and has above average quickness, toughness, and leaping ability for centers in this league.  His greatest attribute is also the hardest to find in bigs in the nba, and thats his great competitiveness and work ethic, something i'm sure having KG beside him helped him take to the next level.   He has shown to be such an important part of our team, being able to guard much bigger power centers and also being agile enough to step out and help on defensive rotations.  

Like most players though, he does have some things he needs to improve on.  His post game is developing, but continues to be an area he can improve on.  He also has a bad habit of bringing the ball down to gather himself before going up strong and is prone to foul trouble at times.  But for a center who is ONLY 23 YEARS OLD and is just 5 years out of HIGH SCHOOL, he has tremendous potential and upside to add to him being a solid center now.  Just 5 years ago, he was dunking on some poor helpless 5'5'' high school freshman and now he is successfully defending the likes of Bynum, Wallace, Duncan, and Shaq.  I'm pretty sure its now been shown that winning with perkins is possible, and he is just going to get better with time.  

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Although I'm not crazy about the tone of your post which seemingly takes pot shots at "snobby" Celtic fans and downplays the overall play of the 23 year old starting center of the world champs, I think you are right about Hibbert.

The Bobcats acquired Denver's 20th pick and this report says that they might be enamored with Hibbert at 20. It seems to make a lot of sense as it moves Okafor over to his more natural PF position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/news/story?id=3460859

The Bobcats were also impressed with Georgetown center Roy Hibbert when he worked out for the team earlier this month. Hibbert is expected to go late in the first round.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
All the replace Perk talk just baffles me.  This kid came straight out of high school, he's still young, he's still improving and he just got his first ring.  He hasn't done anything wrong, so why should we replace him?  As long as KG is there, Perk will continue to flourish putting back garbage buckets and getting pretty much fed by KG.  Perk and KG have developed this bond and if we were to draft Hibbert and break that bond, Perk would be p---ed, and so would KG.  I don't understand the logic behind the 'Replace Perk' talk, but that's just me.

Hibbert is not going to drop to 30 I highly doubt.  A lot of teams need a big man and he is one of the more valuable bigs in the draft.  I guess anything can happen though, because we were never suppose to get Pierce.
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »

Offline Induna

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
[dang] where were all these Perk fans last season and the season before. I'm sure I remember some o you'll valuing Veal higher as a big, there were even suggestions to bring in Mike Doleac  :)

For the record I am not saying replace Perk - I honestly believe he will get better this year although I fear his shoulder. I would just like to see him get some help