Author Topic: Phil Kessel on trading block  (Read 5213 times)

Phil Kessel on trading block
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
The Bruins owe right wing Glen Murray $4.15 million and goalie Manny Fernandez $4.3 million this coming season while less-expensive players like forwards P.J. Axelsson and Phil Kessel are rumored to be on the trading block, which could also open valuable cap space.

Does this make sense to everybody here?  The Bruins GM said these players were all on the block in order to land a big splash.  Kessel seemed to be one of the best players for the Bs last season. 

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place btw
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Phil Kessel on trading block
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Yeah, I see no reason to trade Kessel.  He's one of the few players on the Bruins roster to have major long-term upside.  I'd keep him, and build around him and Bergeron.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I can't imagine Kessel is on the block.  One of the reasons they didn't get Hossa last season was because they wanted Kessel.  Maybe if Hossa agreed to sign that would have made a difference but I don't think Chirelli is looking to move Phil. 

They'll probably buy out Muzz (I hate to see him go but it's time) and possibly Fernandez to create enough cap room to make a move. 

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:07:13 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Basically they have two options if they want to sign some big free agents...buy out Murray's contract and eat the remaining cash or try and trade him to someone who will absorb his contract.  However, the only way any team would ever accept Murray is by also acquiring some sort of valuable asset (i.e. Kessel/Axelsson). 

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Kessel responded well to the very temporary "punishment" he was handed by Julien for not producing enough by returning to the rink and scoring a few very timely goals that were critical to pushing the series in 7. Man, I love Kessel's upside, he reminds me of Sergei Samsonov except Sammy's a east west skater and Kessell is north south. I think that for Kessell to be a franchise player or anything of the like, he needs to be more consistent, which is really a function of having the mental aspect of your game all taken care of. In my opinion, Kessel will never be a star, but he'll be a productive yet inconsistent goal scorer who makes the ASG a couple times. I hope he's not on the block, especially if the incoming value is only a rental or two, or a mediocre "prospect," but you have to trade him if it means getting a proven star who will produce.

Oh yeah, and get rid of Murray and Manny. Both those guys are overpaid, over the hill, and stink.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:17:15 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
This is horrible news. Under no circumstances should they trade him.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 12:39:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Kessel is a keeper, and it would be a really short-sighted move to trade him. It's bound to be one of those moves that will come back to bite the B's.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 01:10:51 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
Trading Kessel would be even more stupid than the Thornton trade was.