Author Topic: Celtics Report: Green ready for draft  (Read 10439 times)

Celtics Report: Green ready for draft
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
another read...

In possession of the 30th and final pick in the first round of Thursday night’s draft, the Celtics are well aware that their options will be limited when the choice is made around 10 p.m.

The team that won the NBA championship last week will be happy to get a player who can one day be a solid contributor.

"We think we'll get a guy who fits our situation, fits our system, that can fit in with our personnel and our coaching staff, and contribute in some way,'' executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said during a conference call Wednesday afternoon. "That's our objective.

"At the same time, there are players with some upside that might not be able to help us win right now that we would consider also there.''

Whoever the Celtics settle on, it's highly unlikely the player will step into the rotation when the title defense takes place in the 2008-09 season.

Among the options that Ainge is weighing is whether to draft a player who will spend at least next season in Europe, freeing the Celtics from a contract and a salary-cap obligation.

"It's a possibility,'' he said. "There are a few players we wouldn't draft unless they were willing to do that.

"First of all, you save luxury tax and are not really paying a player to develop in your own system. When you get them, you maximize their value when they do come abroad because they are more game-ready.''

Ainge said his research showed the No. 30 pick winds up being a starter only five percent of the time. 

"We have a deep roster as it is,'' Ainge said. "We hope that we can (find rotation players), but the odds would say that we don't. I'm not sure a 60th player has ever made it in the league, and you're talking about a player trying to crack the lineup of a team that's vying for a championship. I think that's probably a long shot, but we're going to try.''

Predicting who the Celtics will take with the last pick of the opening round is almost an impossible task. Ainge worked out about 50 prospects in the past month-plus while his team was winning the championship.   

Click on all of the mock drafts around the country, and a different name is sure to pop up.

Among the names that have been connected to the Celtics are Western Kentucky guard Courtney Lee, North Carolina State forward J.J. Hickson, centers Nikola Pekovic (Serbia), Alexis Ajinca (France), Ante Tomie (Croatia) and DeVon Hardin (California), forward Richard Hendrix of Alabama and forward Ryan Anderson of California.

READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE - http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/x822808801/Celtics-Report-Green-ready-for-draft

Re: Celtics Report: Green ready for draft
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 07:04:58 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't ryan gomes a 60th pick? there or there abouts anyway.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This is better than the earlier quotes about Ainge not expecting value.  After reading those posts, it seemed he was tring to dump the pick.  Now, with more quotes around those others, it just seems that he'll try to get the best value for his picks.  Basically no news.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't ryan gomes a 60th pick? there or there abouts anyway.

Gomes was pick #50 in the 2005 draft.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:19:08 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This is better than the earlier quotes about Ainge not expecting value.  After reading those posts, it seemed he was tring to dump the pick.  Now, with more quotes around those others, it just seems that he'll try to get the best value for his picks.  Basically no news.

As always, the media trying to trick the readers. They always seem to twist the truth in some shape or form in order to fit the agenda they're trying to push.

They pick the quotes that they want to use, they use the portions of the quote that best fit their story, and ommit the rest.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

I love Christmas.  I just do, even though I am not a religious soul, I love everything about Christmas.  On the other hand, I could care less about New Years Eve, a total waste of an evening.

Every year the NBA draft has been like Christmas to me.  The anticipation, the planning the build up -- love the draft.  This year's draft feels like New Years Eve.  Christmas was last week.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think with so many question marks this draft, it's possible that a decent player might still be there at 30 because GMs aren't really sure who's the best bet at any given pick...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:07:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
If Roy Hibbert is there at 30 we should grab him. Why is he slipping so far?

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous

limited upside
unathletic

basically the only good thing is his solid post moves and 7'2 size

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I doubt Hibbert makes it past Utah or the Bobcats now that they have two picks. We hve more than a couple rotation players available at 30.  I think DA meant foreigners that we may/may not draft will be asked to stay overseas but US college players with upset may get a seat on our bench now. Courtney Lee, Chris Douglas Roberts (he was seemeingly locked in at #27 for the Hornets but they've traded their pick), Kyle Weaver and Giddens are all wings that could contribute to our rotation right now in some way or another who very well could be available at #30 tomorrow and I'm sure DA will pull the trigger.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

limited upside
unathletic

basically the only good thing is his solid post moves and 7'2 size

I think he'll be a better pro than a collage player but I'm just going by watching him play. Isn't he only 22? I think he'll be a decent pro.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I also wouldn't mind taking a shot at Nathan Jawai... He looks like he could be a player in a year or three....

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »

Offline CelticsGlory

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think in the second round to select James Gist if still available.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »

Offline carlherrera

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
My dream scenario is that Marreesse Speights drops to us. It could happen because he supposedly has a bad attitude. His potential is huge.
We could also get lucky and land Hibbert (although highly unlikely. the guy will be a good pro), Dorsey or Chris Douglas-Roberts. Chris Lofton would also be a solid pick.
I think this is a deep draft. On a separate topic, I can't believe Beasley is getting so little love. The guy is basically a better version of Kevin Durant. (Ok, shorter but with "huge wingspan"). He put up some amazing numbers...

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I think in the second round to select James Gist if still available.

That would be a good pick if he lasts that long.