Author Topic: Charlotte Bobcats aquire 20th pick from the Denver Nuggets.  (Read 3184 times)

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
"The Charlotte Bobcats today acquired a second first-round pick in Thursday's NBA Draft, receiving the 20th overall selection from the Denver Nuggets in exchange for a future protected first-round pick."

Another over the cap team cutting salary. Eh. At least they didn't sell the pick out right.

Re: Charlotte Bobcats aquire 20th pick from the Denver Nuggets.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 06:11:30 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I still can't figure out why we aren't buying picks in the high 20's.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:22:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I still can't figure out why we aren't buying picks in the high 20's.

Because Danny wants to win now, and doesn't see a lot of players who can immediately contribute.  Why pay $3 million, plus double the rookie's guaranteed salary (due to the luxury tax) for a player you're not in love with?

As for this trade, this was a legit trade.  If I was Denver, I'd be interested in a future Bobcats #1 moreso than a pick this year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am extremely against teams selling their first round picks for cash. What Portland did in just paying for a first round pick should not be allowed. However, Denver getting a second rounder and a future first is a good deal. I understand saving money by selling the pick but it's not just spending money it's an investment. If the C's owners want to save money now they could end up paying for it later if we suck after the Trio retires. I think a guy like Courtney Lee could be real helpful once Ray retires.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:11 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I worry that Celtics are making some of Phoenix's mistakes. Ownership ought to be able to make money winning championships despite a heavy cap hit.

I'd concede the second point Roy, but only if the pick isn't protected in such a way that it pans out as a 2014 2nd round pick.

P.S. This from Yahoo! Sports - "According to various reports, the Bobcats could be targeting Georgetown center Roy Hibbert with the pick acquired from the Nuggets."

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
I don't think there's a chance Hibbert goes past 20 now. In fact, I expect Indiana to give him a long look at 17.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:52:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
God you could have seen this one coming 18 months ago. The Nuggets selling a pick who'd have thunk it?

Smart play by Charlotte. Pick up an extra big man to go with the big you're selecting ninth. Reinforce the frontcourt because that was one of the most abysmal excuses for a depth up front ever. Finally Emeka will have some help down low.

They best be drafting two big men. If it's not two big men I'm liable to be very unhappy. If it's not a big man it's a home run prospect. Let's be clear about that Charlotte.