Author Topic: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help  (Read 13283 times)

Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help
« on: June 25, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge doesn't expect to draft a player who can help the NBA champions next season.

The Celtics have the 30th and 60th picks in Thursday night's draft and are in a much different position than they were a year ago after posting the second worst record in the league.

Ainge said Wednesday there are some players he wouldn't select unless they agreed to play overseas and develop for a couple of years. He also said a trade for a better pick would be a real longshot.

At last year's draft, Ainge set in motion the team's turnaround when he dealt the fifth overall pick, Jeff Green, to Seattle for Ray Allen.

Ainge also says he hopes to re-sign James Posey, but may not sign all of his current players who are eligible for free agency.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20080625/APS/806251048&sectioncat=SPORTS

If we go the Courtney Lee route, I expect him to be a big reason on why we win #18

Re: Celts GM Ainge doesn't expect immediate draft help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
It's smokescreen season.  Translation: "We're likely to move up in the draft to get a player who we think can help us right away."  Hibbert must be free-falling within reach! ;)
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yep.  This is pretty much the norm for the championship team.

Any production they get out of a rookie is a bonus.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Seems like common sense.

They always wanted that out there, to help prepare people for the disapointment if they choose to stash a Euro, or trade out.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
At this time last year, what was Danny saying we were going to do with our pick?

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It's smokescreen season.  Translation: "We're likely to move up in the draft to get a player who we think can help us right away."

I agree with your smokescreen insight.  Not much about Ainge, Celtics and the draft -- it is almost as if DA has forgotten all about it, but you just know this isn't the case.  DA is busy scheming and scrambling behind the closed doors looking at a bunch of possible players.  Based on his comments and what I know of his past history I would say Ainge is looking for a player with 3-4 years of college experience who can help right away (CDR, Hardin, Lee? **).  

** Just please not Plaisted.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Maybe a smokescreen, maybe not. The key word Ainge uses in this excerpt is "expect". He doesn't "expect" anyone to be there that will help right away at #30, but crazier things have happened. The draft is a pretty crazy event.

And for some reason, I'm really curious about this Courtney Lee guy. I think Ainge could be eyeing him. What are the knocks on Lee? Anyone know?
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Maybe a smokescreen, maybe not. The key word Ainge uses in this excerpt is "expect". He doesn't "expect" anyone to be there that will help right away at #30, but crazier things have happened. The draft is a pretty crazy event.

And for some reason, I'm really curious about this Courtney Lee guy. I think Ainge could be eyeing him. What are the knocks on Lee? Anyone know?

For whatever it's worth:

Strengths:

• Smooth body control
• Strength
• Versatile
• Perfect role player
• Basketball IQ
• Perimeter shooting
• Pull-up jumper
• Mid-range game
• Free throw shooting
• Fundamentals
• Passing ability
• Unselfishness/Team play
• Perimeter defense
• Ability to get in passing lanes
• Timing
• Mature
• Patient
• Doesn’t force issue

Weaknesses:

• Level of competition
• Explosiveness
• Slashing game
• Ball-handling skills

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Boston Celtics general manager Danny Ainge doesn't expect to draft a player who can help the NBA champions next season.

The Celtics have the 30th and 60th picks in Thursday night's draft and are in a much different position than they were a year ago after posting the second worst record in the league.

Ainge said Wednesday there are some players he wouldn't select unless they agreed to play overseas and develop for a couple of years. He also said a trade for a better pick would be a real longshot.

At last year's draft, Ainge set in motion the team's turnaround when he dealt the fifth overall pick, Jeff Green, to Seattle for Ray Allen.

Ainge also says he hopes to re-sign James Posey, but may not sign all of his current players who are eligible for free agency.

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20080625/APS/806251048&sectioncat=SPORTS

If we go the Courtney Lee route, I expect him to be a big reason on why we win #18

good to hear, nice find.

in a unrealated question, can we expect a rajon rondo championship year mix on the channel?

love to see a 10-15 mintue vid set to music of his best moments this season (hint hint, nudge nudge to the super talnted video editor :D)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't see how there is much that they really CAN do this year.  Expect next year's rookie (if they keep the pick) to have exactly as much impact on the squad as Gabe Pruit had this year - and seems to me that Danny would really like to keep roster spots free (since it's pretty likely that there will may be some serviceable vets who'd like to come aboard and contribute pretty cheaply).  

One thought; if they did like Hibbert (who, for all of his flaws, seems like he could be a decent backup for Perk and contribute fairly soon), think a combination of #30 and maybe BBD could move us up far enough to grab him?  I don't really see too many players on the roster, other than MAYBE BBD, that Danny would be looking to trade.  I just think they've ultimately got more confidence in Powe being able to consistently fill than backup-4 spot than BBD, especially since he seems to have shown that his injuries are completely behind him.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Danny just confirmed the obvious. But I think the draft help part may be a smokescreen. Theres a chance Hardin, Walker, Hibbert, Lee or Weaver could contribute next season. Atleast one of them will be there if not more.

I like Weaver better than Lee.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Ah thanks for the scouting report bud, tp. I kinda think of Stuckey when I read that. I don't think Stuckey had great competition where he played did he? I know he came from a lesser-known college.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:41:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
One thought; if they did like Hibbert (who, for all of his flaws, seems like he could be a decent backup for Perk and contribute fairly soon), think a combination of #30 and maybe BBD could move us up far enough to grab him?  I don't really see too many players on the roster, other than MAYBE BBD, that Danny would be looking to trade.

While Hibbert seems like he'd be a great guy to get, I'm not sure he's worth BBD.  That's because, if Danny resigns Posey, there is an overwhelming likelihood that a trade involving Powe will have to be made.  I don't think there's any ay the Cs can hold onto both Posey and Powe.  I'd rather keep Posey than Powe to go with PGA and I think it'll cost less to hold onto BBD.

Frankly, packaging Powe with the #30 and moving up into the low teens to grab someone might not be a bad idea.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 03:42:25 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It sounds like the guy who fits the description the best is Serge Ibaka. He's raw and can be kept overseas for a few years. He might provide a very long shot blocking defensive power forward for the future. They might have to move up a few slots to get him, but he's perfect for the situation.

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

Dear Mr. House, Pollard, Cassell & Brown,

Thank you for all your efforts and please enjoy the ring.

Sincerely,
Danny
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.