Author Topic: Ray Allen for Diaw and Barbosa  (Read 34253 times)

Re: Ray Allen for Diaw and Barbosa
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Fans of a team tend to overrate their own players and underrate players from other teams.  IMHO that's what's happening here.

Fans might overrate their own players, but people on these boards don't. Paul Pierce was frequently called a fringe top 30 player last year. There was a long list of players with more upside than Big Al, including Collison, Bogut and Etan Thomas. Perkins would never be good enough to be a starting center on a decent team and Rondo was one of the worst starting PGs in the league.

Yes, but that all changed once Scintan stopped posting here.

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2008, 03:42:08 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Fans of a team tend to overrate their own players and underrate players from other teams.  IMHO that's what's happening here.

Fans might overrate their own players, but people on these boards don't. Paul Pierce was frequently called a fringe top 30 player last year. There was a long list of players with more upside than Big Al, including Collison, Bogut and Etan Thomas. Perkins would never be good enough to be a starting center on a decent team and Rondo was one of the worst starting PGs in the league.

Yes, but that all changed once Scintan stopped posting here.

It definitely slowed down considerably, I'll give you that...

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2008, 03:57:19 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I like both Boris and Barbosa, but after seeing Ray Allen in the last 2 series and how great he was, I don't think you trade that experience for anything like those 2 guys at this moment. Celtics should just be going all in with the 3 they have now and surround them with good bench talent. I honestly don't care if we suck for a few years afterwards and it's not worth sacrificing Ray so we can be first or second round defeated while rebuilding. Anyway as we all know, it's pretty much impossible to rebuild and contend at the same time in basketball...

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2008, 04:51:20 AM »

Offline yamanin

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think you stick with the current team for one more crack at the title next year; right now the way things are looking it's hard to see another team coming out of the East. After that then you look for a way to move Ray Allen's expiring contract for a younger star to pair with Pierce and KG.

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Barbosa is BADLY overrated after somehow (quite incorrectly I believe) he got the moniker fastest player in the NBA. He is a ball hogging gunner who takes numerous bad shots and has marginal play making ability. No way would we ever move them for the sweetest shooter in the NBA - a clutch smart player with a complete professional game. As for Diaw - I don't like him that much either.

Pete

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2008, 06:14:38 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think you stick with the current team for one more crack at the title next year; right now the way things are looking it's hard to see another team coming out of the East. After that then you look for a way to move Ray Allen's expiring contract for a younger star to pair with Pierce and KG.

Well yes, I'm sure that's the plan. But you never know who will be available at the 2010 trade deadline. It might be better to take a bird in the hand (assuming the deal we have been discussing is in fact available).

IMHO both Cleveland and Orlando could give the Celtics stiff competition next year. LeBron can beat you by himself if the refs give him the calls.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 06:37:07 AM by Brickowski »