Author Topic: Some Euro help please?  (Read 2519 times)

Some Euro help please?
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Just-By-The-Numbers--Evaluating-This-Year-s-Center-Crop-2941/

After reading the above stats-based article two names stuck out in my mind.

Omer Asik and Nikola Pekovic

Obviously numbers don’t tell the whole story so can someone help with their observations about these two cats?

Some questions I have:

Who do these guys play like?

How legit is the EuroLeague?

What about their contract situations?

Are they more NBA ready or long-term projects?

Thanks!

Re: Some Euro help please?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:11:45 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Pekovic:
http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=20071.msg315319#msg315319

Asik :
Turkish powerhouse Fenerbache has a very weird (for an european team) big men rotation, with 4 U-22 centers sharing minutes. Asik is one of them, probably the less talented but also the one who can be more useful in the NBA. He's a defensive minded center, a hustle guy who plays with lots of energy and heart, a very good rebounder and an outstanding shot-blocker. Other than that, he doesn't offer much, if anything at all. He seriously lacks fundamentals, his screens are weak, he's not a very good man-to-man defender, he's not strong enough to survive in NBA paints and he has no offensive game other than dunking when open. On a positive note, he seems to understand his limitations and plays within himself.

How legit is the EuroLeague?

Well, the Euroleague is a competition where the best teams from all over Europe play together. It's the best league after the NBA, if you consider it as a league. Most of the best players who don't play in the NBA are there.

What about their contract situations?

Pekovic signed a multi-year millionaire contract with Panathinaikos - he'll be making far more money than any NBA rookie. There's a rumor that Asik will resign with Fener. It doesn't make sense to draft this guys with the #30 - the rookie scale will keep them in Europe forever. Besides, Pekovic says he doesn't like the NBA and that it's not in his plans to ever come in.

Are they more NBA ready or long-term projects?

Pekovic is more NBA ready than anyone in this draft. He was more dominant in Europe than guys like Scola (10 ppg/6 rpg in the playoffs in his rookie season) or Gasol (ROY) ever were.

Asik needs to add some bulk and hopefully to polish his game. He's more a mid-term project, but he'll never be more than a Varejao with great shot-blocking skills.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:14:57 PM by cordobes »

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »

Offline celtpinoy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • BEAT LA
years back...I distinctly remember the celtics drafting a european player who never made it to the NBA......

the name escapes me now...but during that era...was very hopeful that the player would suddenly join the roster the ff. year...

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
years back...I distinctly remember the celtics drafting a european player who never made it to the NBA......

the name escapes me now...but during that era...was very hopeful that the player would suddenly join the roster the ff. year...

the c's have a few guys who they hold the rights to who never came:

Ben Pepper
Josip Cesar
Albert Miralles

there may be more...

When you love life, life loves you right back