Author Topic: Blazer's getting NO's pick (27th)  (Read 21444 times)

Re: Blazer's getting NO's pick (27th)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Can't we buy some draft picks?? we must have made some money this year..

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 01:40:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I would be all for offering the # 30 and money for a higher pick.  Especially if it gets the Celtics into position to draft Rush.

That team then can go ahead and sell # 30 as well.  Good way to make 6 million. 

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

We could, but we barely have room for 1 rookie, let alone multiple.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 01:42:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Do we really need more draft picks to use?  This team doesn't need to develop multiple talents right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

You think? I think we can handle quite a few. I really think from the Free Agency after we sign a couple of rotation guys we'll just do with fillers, so might as well try and get lucky through the draft and see how they develop in the D-League.

I don't know why, but I like this draft and think we can get a couple of quality players, either for now or for the near future.

Oh and wait for it, maybe even more trade chips to get better players at the trade deadline or next year or so. Especially if we consider these picks expendable.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:50:35 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
Like wdleehi said, we could trade 30th pick and cash to move up a little.. or trade 60th pick and cash to move up in the 2nd round as well.. We need to find a player that can step in right away if Posey doesnt come back and if we are not brining TA back.

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
We also have a trade exception of just over $1 million dollars that expires very soon (gained from last year's trade with Seattle), so we could trade a pick to acquire a first- or second-year player on a low-level rookie contract.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Like wdleehi said, we could trade 30th pick and cash to move up a little.. or trade 60th pick and cash to move up in the 2nd round as well.. We need to find a player that can step in right away if Posey doesnt come back and if we are not brining TA back.

Either Posey comes back or replace him with a vet.  Celtics can not replace him with a rookie.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
you're right.. but we can replace TA with a rookie.. If we can grab a solid wing player and a center, we'd be all set

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2008, 02:01:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You think? I think we can handle quite a few. I really think from the Free Agency after we sign a couple of rotation guys we'll just do with fillers, so might as well try and get lucky through the draft and see how they develop in the D-League.

I don't know why, but I like this draft and think we can get a couple of quality players, either for now or for the near future.

Oh and wait for it, maybe even more trade chips to get better players at the trade deadline or next year or so. Especially if we consider these picks expendable.

1. Pierce
2. R. Allen
3. Garnett
4. Rondo
5. Perkins
6. Posey (or his replacement)
7. Powe
8. Davis
9. Scalabrine
10. Pruitt
11. Tony Allen (or replacement)
12. Backup PG (House, or a replacement)
13. Backup Center
14. First round pick
15. room to sign someone late in the year

So as of right now, I don't see much room.  Of course, they could try to draft a replacement for Allen (I don't see anyone who can step in as a backup Center or PG right away in this draft)...but honestly, I just don't see it.

The only thing that really makes sense is to use an extra pick to pick a Euro to stash...but they might be better off picking up a second rounder for that.

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 02:02:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
you're right.. but we can replace TA with a rookie.. If we can grab a solid wing player and a center, we'd be all set

We are not finding a backup Center (for this year) in this draft.  Yes, there could be a surprise, but you absolutely can't count on it enough to give them a roster spot.

We could concievably find a replacement for TA if the right guy falls to us.  But still, we are much better off filling our roster with veterans.

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
how are we going to find a veteran replacement if we are planning on resigning posey or his replacement? We can't afford to sign a bunch of veterans

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2008, 02:25:01 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
don't we still owe a few teams draft picks? why can't we just give up on this late 1st round pick... its a mildly weak draft and no player that low will really help us.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

1. Pierce
2. R. Allen
3. Garnett
4. Rondo
5. Perkins
6. Posey (or his replacement)
7. Powe
8. Davis
9. Scalabrine
10. Pruitt
11. Tony Allen (or replacement)
12. Backup PG (House, or a replacement)
13. Backup Center
14. First round pick
15. room to sign someone late in the year

So as of right now, I don't see much room.  Of course, they could try to draft a replacement for Allen (I don't see anyone who can step in as a backup Center or PG right away in this draft)...but honestly, I just don't see it.

The only thing that really makes sense is to use an extra pick to pick a Euro to stash...but they might be better off picking up a second rounder for that.

You're right in a way.

It'll all depend on Posey because I really don't like our prospect of improving our team via free-agency like many here do.  Do we really want to rely on our vet. min. to get a suitable back-up center?

I think the best way to improve our team via trade, and draft picks mean to me expendable trading chips that can be combined with some our "real" players, like Scal/Powe/Davis/Tony while not losing much if at all.

We can potentially gain roster flexibility, if you believe it or not, and financial flexibility (via trades).

As you said, we can stash some.  But I see quite a few good picks slipping, and I see them being useful to our cause in one way or the other.

There's always partial guarantee contracts, and not all drafter rookies need to be offered contracts right? So in all, I don't buy the we don't have roster spaces for them. I see them as increasing our options to improve our team, when we are quite limited at the moment.

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
how are we going to find a veteran replacement if we are planning on resigning posey or his replacement? We can't afford to sign a bunch of veterans

Well, this is one reason why I do not think the C's will give Posey the full MLE, but instead will do everything they can to try to convince him to take the non-bird exception.

But regardless, even if they do use the MLE on Posey, they still have the LLE, and veteran minimum contracts.

Even with the vet minimum, we will find better options as backup Centers than we would that late in this draft.  Like I said, someone may surprise them and be able to play minutes earlier than they think...but there is no chance that they go into next season without a veteran backing up Perk (even if it is next years version of Pollard).