Author Topic: Blazer's getting NO's pick (27th)  (Read 21435 times)

Re: Blazer's getting NO's pick (27th)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 08:56:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think this is a brilliant strategy by the Blazers, and I assume like many others that they will be gambling on a European kid.  They've tried this strategy with Fernandez, Rodriguez, and Kopponen; $3 million or so isn't that much to pay if one of those guys becomes a legit player.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 09:04:29 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It is very strange for a move like this to happen before the draft.  Usually a team will wait to see who is available before making a move like that (on both sides), because the pick could have more value based on who is available.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is preceeding a bigger trade, since Portland simply doesn't need that many draft picks.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think this is a brilliant strategy by the Blazers, and I assume like many others that they will be gambling on a European kid.  They've tried this strategy with Fernandez, Rodriguez, and Kopponen; $3 million or so isn't that much to pay if one of those guys becomes a legit player.

don't forget Monya and Khryapa...didn't work that well then...I actually was hoping Monya would fall to the c's....but hindsight being 20/20, not a bad thing
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 09:44:37 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
the residual effect of this deal could be big, b/c everyone assumed CDR wouldn't fall past NO, as he'd be a great fit there.... now he could, can you imagine, a guy who many predicted was a lottery player, dropping into our laps at 30 - he's been my guy from the beginning, love his unique game, really think PP could mentor him for 2-3 years, then he could slowly take over.... I'm worried other teams may be sending out messages about him to drop to them, as I could see Utah or Cleveland both benefiting from his game

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We're not in good shape if we're expecting a #30 pick to take over for Pierce  ::)

As for predictions, there is often good reason why early front-runners slip. People once predicted Chris Taft would be a top pick in the 2005 draft...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:56:13 AM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
We're not in good shape if we're expecting a #30 pick to take over for Pierce  ::)

hey, I'm looking 3-4 years down the road, look at the end of those rounds from 3-4 years back:
2005: David Lee, Linas Kleiza, Monta Ellis, Jason Maxiell
2004: Kevin Martin, Verajao, Vujacic
2003: Kapono, Walton, Barbosa, Perk

all in that 20-30 range, all guys who contribute or more (potential superstar in Ellis)

going back, you see guys like Rashard Lewis, Carlos Boozer, Tayshawn Prince, Mehmet Okur, Tony Parker, Michael Redd, Gerald Wallace, Brian Scalbrine (kidding!) - fall to the end of the 1st round or further, all impact guys, many all-stars there

so as KG put it...Anything is possible... ANYTHING IS POSSSSSIBLEEEEEEEE!!!!!

and that's why I like Chris Douglas Roberts... =)

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd be surprised if the Blazers use the pick. I think they just bought it to use as a piece/asset in order to make another move.

Then again maybe they already have a move almost done elsewhere and wanted to find a pick to build back up some depth.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

When you got the cash, might as well do it, right?  I think if Portland gets too good this way (which it seems like they might), the NBA will have to put a rule in place of selling picks.  It's getting kind of silly as it is with Phoenix selling all their picks in the past few years.

I agree. I mean they have to rule somehow picks buying, not selling. Paul Allen can do whatever he wants to his money, but this is becoming an unfair advantage.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

hey, I'm looking 3-4 years down the road, look at the end of those rounds from 3-4 years back:
2005: David Lee, Linas Kleiza, Monta Ellis, Jason Maxiell
2004: Kevin Martin, Verajao, Vujacic
2003: Kapono, Walton, Barbosa, Perk

all in that 20-30 range, all guys who contribute or more (potential superstar in Ellis)

going back, you see guys like Rashard Lewis, Carlos Boozer, Tayshawn Prince, Mehmet Okur, Tony Parker, Michael Redd, Gerald Wallace, Brian Scalbrine (kidding!) - fall to the end of the 1st round or further, all impact guys, many all-stars there

so as KG put it...Anything is possible... ANYTHING IS POSSSSSIBLEEEEEEEE!!!!!

and that's why I like Chris Douglas Roberts... =)
With all due respect, neither of the guys you listed that were drafted drafted 3-4 years back is taking over for Pierce, either.

We're talking about a 6-time All-Star, a franchise player who averages 23 ppg over his career. I am sure you can often find solid players down the ladder, but it's just a different talent level bracket.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't know what kind of package we could make, but we should look for a way to get Portland's 27th and 33rd picks.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

We're talking about a 6-time All-Star, a franchise player who averages 23 ppg over his career. I am sure you can often find solid players down the ladder, but it's just a different talent level bracket.

I don't know, in 6-7 years, I think a guy like Ellis or Martin could be looked back at as an elite type player - Martin scored 23.7, 4.5 rebounds, 2 assists per game on an albeit bad team - similar to early PP #'s in his 3rd year (25, 6 and 3) - in year 3, Ellis (a very different type of player), put in 20,5 and 4...I think if we had a guy like that step in and take PP's spot in a few years, we'd be ok with it...

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I don't know what kind of package we could make, but we should look for a way to get Portland's 27th and 33rd picks.

Yea, I dont know what we could do to get the 27th, but our 30th pick and maybe the 60th could get the 33rd and 36th pick. And according to Nbadraft.net we could pick up Courtny Lee and a big guy like Semhi Erden from Turkey. Personally, with those two picks id want Nathan Jawai and Gary Forbes. The videos of Forbes on Youtube.com look solid, and i think Jawai will be a starter in two years.
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
The more I think about it, it makes no sense to gamble on a European player in the first round.  I thought that's what the Celtics should do, but I was wrong.  If the kid turns out to be any good, some European team will be willing to pay him more than the NBA rookie scale, and he'll never come over.  You gamble with international players in the second round.

So, I understand why the Hornets were willing to sell the 27th pick, but I'm not sure why the Blazers wanted to buy it. Portland is loaded at the big positions and at point guard, so I suppose they must see a wing player they like, or else a trade is brewing.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:16 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
it's kind of a bummer from a "fan of the NBA" standpoint. NO has definite needs in the front court and on the wing. they actually need a starting SG IMO.

i hope they don't turn out to be a "cost cutting" franchise because they are on the verge of being REALLY good.

from a Cs fan standpoint it is a bummer because Pritchard is definitely on his game and could easily scoop up anybody that might have otherwise dropped to us like a Batum or a Lee..

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I guess you can pay Scal 3 million a yr or buy an extra first rounder each yr. Good investments by Portland. Sergio, Rudy, this pick... Who else?  I wish we had bought that Rudy Fernandez pick last year.

When you got the cash, might as well do it, right?  I think if Portland gets too good this way (which it seems like they might), the NBA will have to put a rule in place of selling picks.  It's getting kind of silly as it is with Phoenix selling all their picks in the past few years.

All owners "got the cash"...some are just stingier than others. This year proved that the best way to make money is to win baby!!

I doubt they'll change the rule -- exactly b/e it make some owners some money. And why penalize smart GMs -- Pritchard, Ainge -- b/c others (or their owners) are dumb/greedy.

The biggest question is why NOH didn't get back 1 or 2 of POR's 72 2nd round picks.  dumb.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!