Author Topic: How about Nikola Pekovic?  (Read 4253 times)

How about Nikola Pekovic?
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
Prospect Name: Nikola Pekovic
College: KK Partizan Belgrade, International
Position: C
Height: 6'11''
Weight: 243
2007-2008 Statistics: 16.4 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 58% from the field, 77% from the line

Key Strengths
  • Strength
  • Rebounding
  • Toughness
  • Wingspan
  • Finishing around the rim
  • Establishing position in the low-post
  • Mid-Range jump-shot
  • Played big in Adriatic League Final Four (26.5 PPG, 6 RPG, 76% from the field)
  • Dominated the Euroleague, the top center there

Key Weaknesses
  • Lateral quickness
  • Running the floor
  • Athleticism is lacking
  • Basketball IQ needs to improve
  • May stay in Europe long-term
  • Passing
  • Defensive upside

Outlook: Pekovic is slated to go early in the 2nd round but nobody knows if he's ever going to come play in the NBA. He absolutely tore up the Euroleague and is ready to take on the next challenge. I don't know where he'll get drafted or what his own expectations are but I don't see him suiting up in the NBA for a few more years. He has a different game than other European prospects. He doesn't play a finesse game and he isn't a softy. He's tough and likes to bang down low. But that isn't the full story. He's slow, doesn't really play defense, doesn't run the court well and may be a bit lacking in terms of knowledge of the game. I really couldn't tell you his outlook because the only person that really knows this is Nikola. Scouts probably have an idea but they don't know what his long-term projections are. He hasn't played against any NBA talent, so he could just be dominating a soft Euroleague because it's soft and his game is built on toughness. What is encouraging though is that he was able to take huge strides from one year to the next, averaging 13 MPG in 06/07, jumping to 27 MPG in 07/08. He also saw a huge spike in his points production, going from 4 in 06/07 to 16 and a half in 07/08. There's no question he's going to get drafted but will his game translate to the NBA? Looking at a lot of the other Europeans that had major success and proved themselves in the Euroleague, the chances are high. Those are the successful ones. But like most Europeans, huge gamble.

I have a ton of other prospect profiles I wrote up if you guys are interested in learning more about the draft. I know a ton as I watch a ton of basketball and sports in general. I can write you guys up profiles on most players, so if you want me to write one up just ask.

Re: How about Nikola Pekovic?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If he had any interest in playing in the NBA, then he would be worth a look, but by most accounts, he is happy making more money in Europe. 

He is worth a look in the second round (where they could lure him over with a larger contract than a first rounder), but at 30, it would probably be a wasted pick.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 11:14:07 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd love to have him but he isn't going to come over if we take him at 30 due to the rookie scale. I'm sure he'll be gone with the first five picks in the second round, though. If someone gets him there they can pay him up to the full MLE if he decides to come over. If we took him at 30 he'd only make around 700K so it's highly unlikely he'd ever come over when he can make so much more money staying in Europe.

Plus he just signed a three year deal with another Russian club, I believe. So he's probably not coming over (if he ever does) for a few years, but He'll going to make a terrific second round pick, even if he doesn't come over but at 30 where we could get an American player like Bill Walker or Jason Thompson at 30 who'd jump at the chance to place for the little money, Pekovic isn't worth a first rounder.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:54 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
How much have you seen of him, exactly?

Mid-Range jump-shot? Dominating a soft Euroleague because he's tough? Doesn't really play defense? Seriously?

And one way or the other: are the chances high - and in that case, you're basically saying that we have high chances of drafting a better version of Sabonis/Gasol/Ilgauskas/Scola/Marčiulionis with the #30, and there's no reason to hesitate or it's a "huge gamble" - 30th picks are usually huge gambles, as a large majority of them is out of the league in a few years.

Forget Pekovic anyway. If he's picked with the #30, he'll never play in the NBA.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
"I know a ton as I watch a ton of basketball and sports in general. I can write you guys up profiles on most players, so if you want me to write one up just ask."

Ok, so what's your opinion on Dusan Kecman?

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I'd give a call to whoever drafts him, though and see what it would take to pry him away. Maybe something as little as cash would get his draft rights if he ever comes over.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:37:20 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
How much have you seen of him, exactly?

Mid-Range jump-shot? Dominating a soft Euroleague because he's tough? Doesn't really play defense? Seriously?

And one way or the other: are the chances high - and in that case, you're basically saying that we have high chances of drafting a better version of Sabonis/Gasol/Ilgauskas/Scola/Marčiulionis with the #30, and there's no reason to hesitate or it's a "huge gamble" - 30th picks are usually huge gambles, as a large majority of them is out of the league in a few years.

Forget Pekovic anyway. If he's picked with the #30, he'll never play in the NBA.

Gonna be honest..I haven't seen much of him at all and just went off of what I've read and watched on the internet. I don't watch the Euroleague. I try hard to stay informed about it though.