Author Topic: Trader Danny Will Strike Again  (Read 6697 times)

Trader Danny Will Strike Again
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:06 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
This year's draft is going to be a gas for Celtic fans and I will tell you why: Danny drafts best late. All his deals when we have had picks in the top ten have been a bit dubious. Clearly the 5th pick and two pizzas or whatever we traded to Seattle for Ray Allen was a great deal, but we found out later that had the deal not worked they would have taken Yi which I wonder about. Now with the exception of Gerald Green at 17 a few years back, Ainge has picked up more value than just about any GM in the last few years for where he has picked. TA, Dwest, Big Al, Leon Powe, and Davis have all been great. Even Justin Reed has stayed in the league for crying out loud. I think Danny has two plans: There is a player he loves that most mocks have going higher than the 20th pick or so. If his guy slips, look for him to call a team like New Jersey or Orlando to pick off his guy in a trade. Second he has a guy he likes that he knows will fall into the second round and will trade the 30th pick to a team who has a slider of their own at 30 for a couple early second round picks, Portland anyone? Either way, I would put more money on Sasha Vujacic growing a pair faster than Danny stays right at 30. Thoughts?

Re: Trader Danny Will Strike Again
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:27:48 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
I wouldnt mind if we traded this year's pick for next year's pick. I'm not too excited about who we might end up with the 30th pick. We could end up with mid 1st round pick next year.. I really like stephen curry from davidson

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I wouldnt mind if we traded this year's pick for next year's pick. I'm not too excited about who we might end up with the 30th pick. We could end up with mid 1st round pick next year.. I really like stephen curry from davidson

Curry was certainly outstanding in the tourney this year, but there are major concerns about his ceiling as an NBA player.  I believe the consensus right now is that he doesn't have the speed to be anywhere near as effective as he is at Davidson and by extension that he'll have a lot of trouble creating his own shot.

That being said, he's got a full season before next year's draft, and who knows what the rest of the class will look like and where the Celts will be picking?  So it could happen...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think the only way we trade up is with a sign-and-trade with Tony Allen.  I don't think Danny gets rid of anyone else on the roster, except maybe Scal (who no one would want) or MAYBE Pruitt (who has very little trade value).  We don't give up anyone else unless execs thinks there's a megasleeper up there somewhere.  And we don't have enough picks to trade up any other way.  My guess is unless someone valuable slips, we pick up a foreign player to stash or we trade the pick, probably for a future pick. 

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
I think Glen Davis and our pick could get us up to 18 or 19. I think we need more Length and speed. I would love to snap up Darrell Arthur from Kansas. He would be great on this team. Rondo leading the break with Powe and Arthur running the lanes, scary.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 05:41:52 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible

I don't understand why people here are thinking that we can obtain something of high value by trading the #30 pick and a bag of potato chips. I've seen people here say that we can get a top 15 pick for the likes of Leon Powe and the #30 pick... not even close to having a chance of happening. I've seen people here say that we can trade the #30 pick and Gabe Pruitt to move up a considerable amount in this first round... not going to happen. Now I see this, stating that we can somehow obtain a mid-first round pick in next year's draft.

For what? I think a lot of people on this board are grossly overrating our tradeable assets, which I don't think could get us much of anything.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
I will give two TPs to all of you who have predicted that Danny moves up in the draft --- I get the sense that nothing at all will happen and the Celts will reluctantly make a pick.

Any and all excitement will come later in the summer via free agent mid level action or a JAG trade to improve the 6-8 roles off the bench.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:06:46 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Danny doesn't trade just to trade. He did it to improve the team and reach their goal. He did that very effectively. He will make a trade if and only if it helps improve this team. If he thinks it will, then I trust his judgement. Look what he has done.

I think there are a couple areas where we could improve. Back up PG, Backup Center, Backup 2 Guard.

How nice is it that the areas where we can really improve are backups! Thank you Danny!

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

I don't understand why people here are thinking that we can obtain something of high value by trading the #30 pick and a bag of potato chips. I've seen people here say that we can get a top 15 pick for the likes of Leon Powe and the #30 pick... not even close to having a chance of happening. I've seen people here say that we can trade the #30 pick and Gabe Pruitt to move up a considerable amount in this first round... not going to happen. Now I see this, stating that we can somehow obtain a mid-first round pick in next year's draft.

For what? I think a lot of people on this board are grossly overrating our tradeable assets, which I don't think could get us much of anything.

I agree that people generally underestimate what it would take to get a deal done.  Still, in a year that we won #17 and Powe had some good games in the playoffs, Powe's value is probably very high.  Moreover, it's probably higher than it should be.  I like Leon and think he has game, but you also have to ask yourself what he'd be doing if he wasn't an afterthought of the defense. 

I'm not saying we should trade him, but I think he might fetch more than some people think. 

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Curry was certainly outstanding in the tourney this year, but there are major concerns about his ceiling as an NBA player.  I believe the consensus right now is that he doesn't have the speed to be anywhere near as effective as he is at Davidson and by extension that he'll have a lot of trouble creating his own shot.

That being said, he's got a full season before next year's draft, and who knows what the rest of the class will look like and where the Celts will be picking?  So it could happen...

-sw
I saw an interview with his father (Dell) during the tournament, and he thinks Stephon is better than him.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I will give two TPs to all of you who have predicted that Danny moves up in the draft --- I get the sense that nothing at all will happen and the Celts will reluctantly make a pick.

Any and all excitement will come later in the summer via free agent mid level action or a JAG trade to improve the 6-8 roles off the bench.

deal. "i predict that Danny moves up in the draft." i dont actually believe it, but what the heck.

what have i got to lose by taking this bet on? my self-repect? HA. gave that up years ago.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »

Offline CelticRob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Yeah CB32, I love the fans on here but they come up with some trade ideas that will never happen but I always enjoy reading them anyway. And a lot of people don't realize that Danny has to make the pick himself before he can trade it since Minny has our 1st rounder next year.
I have a feeling might pull off a minor trade by trading whoever he picks at 30 for another 2nd round pick. It will be fun to see what Danny does Thursday!

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Either way, I would put more money on Sasha Vujacic growing a pair faster than Danny stays right at 30. Thoughts?

I think that hilarious quote has earned you a TP, my friend! LOL

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think there is a very good chance Danny holds onto this one. in the past he could trade the lottery picks because they were easier to predict, and were very valuable.

No one knows who will be around at 30. Too hard to predict. And Danny does so well picking people up at 20 and beyond.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I have a feeling might pull off a minor trade by trading whoever he picks at 30 for another 2nd round pick. It will be fun to see what Danny does Thursday!

Yeps, that's the kind of trade I can see happening.