Author Topic: Simmons and Ford Mock Draft  (Read 6859 times)

Simmons and Ford Mock Draft
« on: June 24, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
They are doing their joint mock draft right now.  It is pretty entertaining (Ford is abusing Simmons a bit), but more than anything, it is just really making me feel good to be picking at the end of the first round. 

More and more I am thinking this draft is 3-4 guys deep at the top, and everyone else is pretty much on an even plane.  I think this year there will be 5 or 6 guys picked between 20 and 40, who will be better players than 5 or 6 of the top 10 picks.

Re: Simmons and Ford Mock Draft
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 03:20:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
They are doing their joint mock draft right now.  It is pretty entertaining (Ford is abusing Simmons a bit), but more than anything, it is just really making me feel good to be picking at the end of the first round. 

More and more I am thinking this draft is 3-4 guys deep at the top, and everyone else is pretty much on an even plane.  I think this year there will be 5 or 6 guys picked between 20 and 40, who will be better players than 5 or 6 of the top 10 picks.

Definitely right, Chris.

I'm not a huge draftnik but through my casual reading on the subject and watching draft specials, I'm pretty much in the same thinking of you.  Lots of uncertainty and unknowns out there after the top 5 or so.  You can even argue that its smaller than that and its really 2 or 3 guys deep at the top.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 03:28:26 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
What shocks me is how little I am paying attention to the draft this year. 

I am not being complacent or even disinterested, it's just that any addition the Celts bring in for next year will have to be through a trade or FA signing to make a significant impact.

Danny has done a spectacular job in the late stages of round 1 and early stages of 2, so for this draft I am adopting the mantra "In Danny I Trust" and sitting back and letting the cards fall where they may. (Amazing considering I was standing on the edge of the Tobin last year)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

Just in my sense, I think there are a lot more questions with this draft lottery caliber players than last year's crop. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is going much to slow. 

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
What shocks me is how little I am paying attention to the draft this year. 

I am not being complacent or even disinterested, it's just that any addition the Celts bring in for next year will have to be through a trade or FA signing to make a significant impact.

Danny has done a spectacular job in the late stages of round 1 and early stages of 2, so for this draft I am adopting the mantra "In Danny I Trust" and sitting back and letting the cards fall where they may. (Amazing considering I was standing on the edge of the Tobin last year)

Well it helps that the Celtics season wasnt over by January.

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
People are saying this is a deep draft, but I just don't see it.  There are 3-5 guys that I like and that's pretty much it.  I'd rather be at the end of the draft and just take whoever is left my way.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:57:51 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
People are saying this is a deep draft, but I just don't see it.  There are 3-5 guys that I like and that's pretty much it.  I'd rather be at the end of the draft and just take whoever is left my way.

It depends what you mean by deep.  I think there is a lot of first round talent.  There are probably about 35-40 guys who could be first round picks in any given year.  However, there is not much top tier talent past the first 3-4 picks.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
Ugh this is taking forever... This article is going to take longer than the actual draft!  They will never get to the Cs.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
There's 2 dominant prospects in the draft. One good prospect. One solid prospect. Then about 12 potential guys that could put this draft on either the best/worst drafts of All-Time lists depending on how they play out. Once you get past that you have a bunch of guys who can come in and contribute which is nice for the teams near the bottom of the draft.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline RichT24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
Ugh this is taking forever... This article is going to take longer than the actual draft!  They will never get to the Cs.

Can't tell if you were joking or not but they are only doing 1-14 (the lottery) so you would be waiting a really really long time if you want to see what they say about the C's.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 04:53:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
There's 2 dominant prospects in the draft. One good prospect. One solid prospect. Then about 12 potential guys that could put this draft on either the best/worst drafts of All-Time lists depending on how they play out. Once you get past that you have a bunch of guys who can come in and contribute which is nice for the teams near the bottom of the draft.

Yes, I think that is a good summary.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »

Offline Spoon

• The Green Kornet
Reading last year's Simmons and Ford mock draft makes me thank god thank we never listen to any suggestion Simmons has about the Celtics. First he wanted us to draft Corey Brewer and called him Pippen-like. Then he wanted us to fire Doc for Carlisle. Ford made sure to bring that up to him this year. He made a ridiculous trade offer for Shawn Marion and then wanted to trade half our team and a 1st round pick for Andrei Kirilenko of all people. And this was the guy who criticized Danny Ainge? He would has destroyed us.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I still want to see Simmons as a gm, just not of the Celtics. Maybe the Lakers or the Knicks.  ;D ;D

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
IMO, this is a one player draft...rose is about the only sure thing.  beasley lost some height which does make one question whether he'll be a defensive liability...after him it's a crapshoot.  i'd want nothing to do with love (somewhere between montross and laettner), and no one is worth trading up to get.  this was definitely not the year to suck...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."