Author Topic: Andy Katz draft blog  (Read 7686 times)

Re: Andy Katz draft blog
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
yeah, thats a nice little loophole - make the pick and trade it on draft night for a future first - I'd be all over that if it happened, but I don't know why someone else would do it

Teams fall in love with a guy.  Guy drops to a spot where the Celtics are ready trade pick.  Team think falling guy better then what they will get in the future. 

Exactly.  This is why the C's gave up a first rounder to get Rondo, when they could have bought another first rounder a couple picks later.  They loved Rondo and saw a chance to get him.

If someone like Hibbert falls to 30, I could definitely see a team offering a future first for him.

by the same token though, if someone loves a guy who falls to 30, they must not love him that much as they would have drafted him with their pick or bought a pick in the mid 20s...

Not necessarily.  Lets say (completely hypothetical, I have no idea who the Cavs are looking at) the Cavs are sitting at 19, and they are looking for a PG and a big man.  All of a sudden DJ Augustin starts falling, and even though they had Hibbert in their sights, they can't pass on Augustin.  Then they are watching as the other guy they want (Hibbert) falls, and they know that the Celtics are shopping their pick, and that if Hibbert makes it to 31, Minnesota will jump all over him.  So they make an offer.