Author Topic: If Wallace pulls this off we would have to take back all those bad things said..  (Read 11002 times)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Insider reported several weeks ago that there was talk that Memphis would give up Mike Miller, Kyle Lowry and the No. 5 pick as part of a package for the No. 2 pick. The same source said the Heat are asking the Grizzlies to sweeten the deal by substituting Mike Conley for Lowry. The deal would be Conley and the No. 5 pick to Miami for the No. 2 pick and Daequan Cook.

I don't get how Mike Miller fits in but the Conley and #5 for Cook and #2 seems to make sense.  I don't get why people aren't more excited about Beasley??

"Michael Beasley is far and away the best player in this draft," the GM said. "He's going to dominate in this league. How could you pass on him? I know everyone is talking about character this and character that, but come on, he's not a bad kid."

I totally agree with this GM.  I am also totally with Wallace if he is trying to get Beasley from Miami.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Draftnotes-080624&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_chad%26page%3dDraftnotes-080624

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
everybody is scared because beasley came back shorter than advertised...the kid is going to be a real good player because he's physical and has a high skill level.

i agree, if memphis pulls this off it's a steal...and mike conley would be no real loss because he's nothing more than a t.j. ford clone - easily replaced.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
No way he should give up Conley.  And the grizz need a center, not a pf, so I'm not sure why Beasley is so attractive.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
People are excited about Beasly I think it has much more to do with the fact that the Heat announced Marion will be returning.  I think they want to move down in hopes of getting lopez, gordon, mayo, or westbrook at the 5 pick. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Pat Riley can't be that dumb. Very poor trade. It isn't the end of the world if he can draft Kevin Love with the 5th pick though, but if Love is off the board it's awful for Miami.

Another rumour of Memphis trading No.5+Cardinal for Malik Rose+David Lee.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
No way he should give up Conley.  And the grizz need a center, not a pf, so I'm not sure why Beasley is so attractive.

the griz need whatever they can get at this point
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
"Best Available" plain and simple.  I could see Miami doing this if they thought they could still get OJ Mayo at #5 but if this is true....
That trade would land Riley the point guard he covets and still get him a high lottery pick in the draft. The Heat would likely choose between Kevin Love or Brook Lopez at No. 5.
Then I think Miami will have gotten taken.  I am just not all that excited about any of these big guys so and if Memphis feels the same, why should they take one of the bigs just to take a big?

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
they'd be stupid to give up conley and their pick. very stupid.

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Pat Riley can't be that dumb. Very poor trade. It isn't the end of the world if he can draft Kevin Love with the 5th pick though, but if Love is off the board it's awful for Miami.

Another rumour of Memphis trading No.5+Cardinal for Malik Rose+David Lee.

Now that's a deal I like for the Grizz if Kevin Love is gone.  If not, I would just keep #5 and draft Love, who is going to be a good NBA player.

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
they should draft Alexander with 5th pick to replace miller and trade miller for a veteran PF or C.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
when you're a bottom of the basement team like Miami or Vanc...Memphis, you don't draft for positional need, you draft the best guy possible, and things work out one way or the other.  To say Miami doesn't need a guard, or the Griz don't need a PF doesn't make sense, they need the best guys possible to either develop or trade, its not like if Memphis gets a center all of a sudden they are going to be in title town. A team like the c's can address need a little more because they are now established, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Danny pick a swingman, a spot we're solid at, if the best guy in his opinion is a swingman
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not all that enamored with Mike Conley; I like the deal where Miami is getting Miller and Lowry, and dumping Blount, better.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Chris Wallace has always been a terrific evaluator of talent but poor judge of what makes an equal trade. Remember that rumor that surfaced in 2001 that Wallace wanted Tony Parker, but was rebuffed, and was forced to take Joe Forte instead?

As for the topic at hand, Mike Miller is one of those rare guys who produces at or above the price of his contract. He is a valuable trade chip but a terrific piece to hold on to if Memphis elects to make a playoff run in the near future. However, trading for Beasley (whom they would take with the #2 pick) would indicate that they are focused on solidifying a core for the future. Trading a 27-year old Gasol also suggests the direction Wallace would like to see his team take.

I'm kind of shocked that he would dangle a rookie, soon to be sophomore PG in Mike Conley. He barely played his rookie season due to injury. And in the action he did see, he displayed in spurts what he can bring from the starting PG position. Someone like Kyle Lowry should be far more expendable. I think giving up on Conley would be too risky, along with the #5 pick and Mike Miller, all for Beasley. It's just too much value, youth, and talent, going out the window.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:04:08 PM by TradeProposalDude »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Beasely doesn't look so good now that Chris Wallace likes him. Poor kid, the Chris Wallace kiss of death is worse than the Madden curse.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Chris Wallace has always been a terrific evaluator of talent but poor judge of what makes an equal trade.

I don't know about that.  Wasn't it Wallace that pushed for Kedrick Brown?  He deferred to Red on the Forte pick, but the Brown pick (and the decision to trade Joe Johnson instead of Brown) falls squarely on Wallace's shoulders.

I can't think of too many good draft picks that were made while Wallace was here that suggests to me that he can evaluate talent.  Joe Johnson.  He tried to take credit for Leon Powe.  Who else?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions