Author Topic: Chad Ford's Sixth Mock Draft (2 Rounds)  (Read 12125 times)

Chad Ford's Sixth Mock Draft (2 Rounds)
« on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
I feel like I am Chad Ford's biggest fan because I have posted all the mocks, but here is the latest.

30th Pick: Courtney Lee 6'5" SG from W. Kentucky
60th Pick: Sasha Kaun 6'11" C from Kansas

Bill Walker goes 29 to Detroit and DeAndre Jordan 28 to Memphis.  Those two are real value for those picks.  I hope one falls to us at 30.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080623

Re: Chad Ford's Sixth Mock Draft (2 Rounds)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Love how this Mock fell for the C's (too bad it means nothing).

Lee would be a great pickup, because he could immediately step in and upgrade our backcourt off the bench.  I never noticed his defense (although I have heard some people say he is very solid), but offensively, he is a hell of a player.  He reminds a lot of Rip Hamilton, because he has a great mid range game.

He also has the potential to step in for Allen in a couple years, and could end up being a starting quality player.  Walker has a bigger upside, and I would take him first, but I would be very happy with Lee.

I also think Kaun in the second round would be a great pick.  If he signs in Russia, then we can store him over there (we dont have roster space for him anyways), and he was always one of those guys with the tools to be a very good player, but never put it together in college...so a couple extra years of development might do him good.

The surprising thing in this mock was of course Batum falling to the second round.  I think he would be very hard to pass up if he did fall to the C's...but with their history of players and heart conditions, it might be tough to pull the trigger.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's amazing how quickly Alexis Ajinca is moving up the mock draft boards.  #13 now?  Recently, he was seen as an early second rounder.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
It's amazing how quickly Alexis Ajinca is moving up the mock draft boards.  #13 now?  Recently, he was seen as an early second rounder.

Its amazing what some workouts can do for a guy who teams were not able to see enough of.

Although the question is, has he really moved up in GMs mind...or are the guys running the mock drafts just finally catching up?

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of GMs were already well aware of how good he was.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Its amazing what some workouts can do for a guy who teams were not able to see enough of.

Although the question is, has he really moved up in GMs mind...or are the guys running the mock drafts just finally catching up?

I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of GMs were already well aware of how good he was.

Yes, I remember when they all drooled over Pavel Podkolzin, the 7-6 brute from Russia.  Say, what is Pavel doing these days?

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
Good, no more of that Euro to the C's nonsense.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
A name that fascinates me is Davon Jefferson...From what I know he left USC after his freshman year and is slotted in most mock drafts at the back end of Round 2.  Any information on why he left school with his stock so low?

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:40:02 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

More of the later. Ajinca has been under the spotlight for years, he's not an unknown who suddenly begins to impress everyone in workouts like Darko or Skita. I think it has to do with the fact that he's improved a lot during the final part of the season, playing more minutes and being more productive. Like college players who move up because they had great tournaments.

Personally, if I was the owner of a team who wastes a lotto pick in Ajinca, I'd fire the GM immediately.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Chalmers, Hibbert, Rush and Lee moving up; Jordan, McGee and Randolph falling. Makes sense; finally it seems GMs are putting away the "athletic potential" kool-aid. Alexander is still too high. Speights too low.

Ajinca and Tomic too high. Does Chad Ford believe that Tomic will stay in Zagreb forever? He'll probably join a Greek team next season.

GSW will bust another big man if they pick Koufos. I'm sure he looks great in workouts; too bad he can't actually play competitive basketball.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sasha Kaun signed with CSKA. Probably a smart pick at 60. Stash him and develop him for a couple years and see what becomes of him.

http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/33301/180/cska-signs-terence-morris-sasha-kaun

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

Offline Zoots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
I just read today that Sasha Kaun signed with CSK Moscow for 3 years.  Think it was in the Hoopshype daily links thing.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Robets, Walker and Lee are predicted to go 27, 29, 30???

I don't buy that. They should all be gone before then. If any of them drop into the C's hands, i'll be extremely happy.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

More of the later. Ajinca has been under the spotlight for years, he's not an unknown who suddenly begins to impress everyone in workouts like Darko or Skita. I think it has to do with the fact that he's improved a lot during the final part of the season, playing more minutes and being more productive. Like college players who move up because they had great tournaments.

Personally, if I was the owner of a team who wastes a lotto pick in Ajinca, I'd fire the GM immediately.

My point is that perhaps he is not impressing the GMs now, maybe the GMs were already impressed (or they aren't impressed, and its a smokescreen).

I just think we sometimes put too much stock in these mocks.  We assume that they are actual markers of a players stock going up and down to the GMs, when in fact, they are markers of the stocks going up and down in the eyes of the guys making the mock drafts.

Like you said, Ajinca has been in the spotlight for a while now (he played in the last two hoop summits for example).  I don't think the GMs and scouts are really changing their minds that dramatically based on workouts...I think the mock draft guys are just catching on a little late.

It is like a few years ago when Marcus Banks "shot up the draftboards".  He didn't shoot up draftboards, he was already a favorite of at least 1 GM, and probably many more.  He just shot up when the media finally found out about it.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
This mock makes the draft a little more promising for us. I read that DA wasn't blown away with anyone at #30 but maybe someone will fall. Regardless, I trust DA and his drafting ability.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, when players "shoot up" the draft boards, the GMs are usually wrong, as in the case of Marcus Banks.

When a player sinks like a stone, the GMs are usually right, as in the case of Gerald Green.  There are exceptions however (Al Jefferson).