Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal  (Read 20335 times)

Re: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
That's the end of Jamaal Tinsley. It'll be interesting to see what Indy do with him because he's close to being an All-Star talent when healthy which will put some tension between he and Ford. He's probably better than Ford when healthy. Healthy he won't be. What do they do? Be tough to trade.

Bird said he has had "enough" of forward Shawne Williams, and they will trade him if they can get something in return. Williams is on "very thin ice" if they can't find a taker for him, Bird said.

When asked about point guard Jamaal Tinsley, whose future with the franchise is just about sealed, Bird responded, "He's just right below (Williams)."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080625/SPORTS04/806250411/1004/RSS02

They'll try to trade him, probably without success. Second option, buy his contract out and burn all bridges. Their fanbase can't bare any more players like Tinsley or Shawne.

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2008, 07:10:05 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Someone mentioned Tony Allen once as a perimeter guy who MIGHT fit in OK on Toronto.  He can defend, and if his head's in the game, he can create a little bit for himself.  Anyone think they might take a run at Tony, maybe see if they can get him on the cheap?

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2008, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Interesting trade. Probably good for both sides. And I agree that Tinsley and Bargnani need to be moved.

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Someone mentioned Tony Allen once as a perimeter guy who MIGHT fit in OK on Toronto.  He can defend, and if his head's in the game, he can create a little bit for himself.  Anyone think they might take a run at Tony, maybe see if they can get him on the cheap?
That was me, I was pushing the idea. I still love it for Toronto. They desperately need another player who'll attack off the dribble, penetrate, and get into the paint. Defensively he fits a need too. Good things would happen for Toronto by adding TA.

He's less of a good fit with O Neal on board because before the Raptors had better big man shooters (reducing the need for TA to shoot perimeter shots) but TA is still a very good fit.

I also thought it might be possible because TA had some nice showings against Toronto which may have caught Colangelo's eye. Fills a void for the Raps.

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I can't see Bargnani playing SF on the defensive end...Let's take a look at some small forwards in the East who he would have no chance of defending:

Paul Pierce
Richard Jefferson
Andre Iguodala
Lebron James
Tayshaun Prince
Josh Smith
Caron Butler
etc.

I'd say they are better off sticking with Jamario Moon at small forward for defensive purposes.

Bargnani got killed by Hedo in the playoffs before the Raps ended an poor trial run. I can't believe (not shock, I mean they don't believe it) they expect anything different to happen by trying it again. Bargnani doesn't have the lateral quickness or defensive ability to defend small forwards.

He's a power forward and he needs to play that position.

Bargnani's Raptors career is going to end badly. The only left to do is to end quickly while the young man still has some trade value.

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
O'Neal has to be healthy eventually,

You're right.  O'Neal will be healthy about halfway through the last year of his contract.  Until then, he will be continually "injured"....But still cashing his paychecks.

I wouldn't want this guy on my team if he was being paid vets minimum.  He's shown nothing but attitude since signing the extention.  He's barely on the court.  Let alone a perennial all-star.

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline juice104

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
if oneal is healthy, that makes him and bosh a very awesome front court, maybe the best in the league. if he stays healthy the atlantic division is going to be tough with boston, toronto, washington, and an improving sixers squad. the atlantic could be the toughest conference is basketball. that would be crazy since two years ago the atlantic was the worst in the nba

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:16 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'd take the C's front court over that...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:05 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bosh and O'Neal are never healthy. Not worried about them.

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 11:13:15 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I personally think it's a good trade on Pacer's side, but somehow not so much for the Raptors. Firstly there's the health issue of JO. Secondly, I'm not sure if a team really needs 2 post scorers together-IMO I just don't see Bosh and JO developing chemistry.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 11:19:21 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I love Bosh ... great player with a great head on his shoulders and positive attitude ... I hope it rubs off on O'Neal and he finally grows up a little, though I won't hold my breath ... that guy's just bad news.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

Offline CelticsGlory

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
It does help the Raptors, having JO post up an Bosh face the rim. May be good.

« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
if oneal is healthy, that makes him and bosh a very awesome front court, maybe the best in the league. if he stays healthy the atlantic division is going to be tough with boston, toronto, washington, and an improving sixers squad. the atlantic could be the toughest conference is basketball. that would be crazy since two years ago the atlantic was the worst in the nba

Thank God Washington isn't in the Atlantic Division...  ;)

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 11:33:52 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
If O'Neal works out, this is the best deal they could have made, I think, but I'd only worry about the health.  Toronto is asking a player who is notorious for his injury history to bang bodies for 82 games?  Then again, what else was available for them with TJ Ford?

Just seems like a mess waiting to happen.

I love Bosh ... great player with a great head on his shoulders and positive attitude ... I hope it rubs off on O'Neal and he finally grows up a little, though I won't hold my breath ... that guy's just bad news.

I think it's really unfair the image that is given to O'Neal, so I'd like to know your reasons why you'd paint him with that brush.  From what I've heard he's a really smart and articulate guy.  The only major thing against him that I know of is the fight.  From what I could tell, he defended himself and tried to stick up for his teammates in a fight where absolute hell was breaking loose.  I can't fault him for that.

I still think most people here are still sour grapes on him from when he beat us in 2004 with only one arm, although I'm not saying you are.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 11:59:12 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I think Toronto wins in this one, any deal where one superduper (when healthy, admittedly) goes for 2 or 3 fairly average guys, the team that sends the 2 or 3 tends to win - look at Boston with Ray Ray and KG, look at NJ with Vince (who did Toronto get anyway?)  Look at Miami with Shaq (they got a title out of it) - Toronto wins this one, the talent will find its way to play together...

O'Neal
Bosh
Moon
Parker
Calderon

That's a nice looking 5, add in Bargani, and a FA or two, and that's a top 5 team in the east
When you love life, life loves you right back