Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal  (Read 20337 times)

Re: Suppose the O'Neal to Raptors trade happens...
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline teddykgb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think the interesting thing about this would be the floor spacing, Bosh and O'Neal basically take the same shots from the same locations, with O'Neal a little more willing to play on the baseline.  How would you design an offense with two bigs who occupy the same places on the floor?

Re: Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 11:40:54 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
oops, totally missed the same topic being discussed in a thread started yesterday...my bad! someone can merge these two topics together or something...

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Addition by subtraction for the Pacers.  Subtraction by addition for the Raptors.  The Raptors get O'Neal for his standard "I feel like showing up 30 games" a season.  If they're willing to spend a 700,000 per game played for a guy with an attitude problem who can't stay on the court, more power to them.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think the interesting thing about this would be the floor spacing, Bosh and O'Neal basically take the same shots from the same locations, with O'Neal a little more willing to play on the baseline.  How would you design an offense with two bigs who occupy the same places on the floor?
Jermaine is a low post big man. He likes to put his back to basket 6-10 feet from the hoop and go to work.

Bosh is a mid-to-high post big man. Bosh likes to catch it 14-18 feet from the hoop and try to drive. He's the best penetrating big man in the league.

Spacing isn't an issue. The balance each other perfectly.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Jermaine is a low post big man. He likes to put his back to basket 6-10 feet from the hoop and go to work.

Bosh is a mid-to-high post big man. Bosh likes to catch it 14-18 feet from the hoop and try to drive. He's the best penetrating big man in the league.

Are you sure?  73% of J.O.'s shots this year were jumpers from outside the paint.  The year prior, 69% of his shots were jumpers, and the year before that, 67%. 

My observations of O'Neal's game is very close to teddykgb's, and the numbers seem to back that up.  If you go to nba.com/hotspots, you'll also see J.O.'s shot data; again, it's not indicative of a true post scorer.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 02:00:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Are you sure?  73% of J.O.'s shots this year were jumpers from outside the paint.  The year prior, 69% of his shots were jumpers, and the year before that, 67%. 

My observations of O'Neal's game is very close to teddykgb's, and the numbers seem to back that up.  If you go to nba.com/hotspots, you'll also see J.O.'s shot data; again, it's not indicative of a true post scorer.
Yep, I'm fine with my description

Looking at hotspots here - This season Jermaine took 94 shots from outside of 15 feet and took 417 shots inside of 15 feet.

It's more important how JO creates his shot. He likes to go into the low post and put his back to the basket. That's his favourite and most used space on the floor to go to work. Bosh on the other hand starts from 15-17 feet and drives into the paint to get his shot. Two very different locations on the floor.

The fact they both have somewhat have post games and jump shots makes them interchangeable like Duncan and Robinson.

Re: Report: T.J. Ford for J. O'Neal being discussed
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 02:45:12 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
That stat, Who, is about as deceiving as Garnett's percentage of shots "from the paint".  O'Neal's percentage in real inside shots may be a little greater than Garnett's.  But unlike Garnett, it's a moot point because O'Neal is never on the court.  He hasn't been since he signed the big contract.  That, in addition to some of O'Neal's crazy commentary on NBA issues over the years says a lot about O'Neal.  I wouldn't want him on my team.

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
That stat, Who, is about as deceiving as Garnett's percentage of shots "from the paint".  O'Neal's percentage in real inside shots may be a little greater than Garnett's. 
That's not true. Jermaine O Neal doesn't spend anywhere near as much time 20 feet from the rim as KG .... simply because he doesn't have much value out there - nowhere near the passer, shooter, ballhandler, penetrator that KG is. For those reasons his coaches like to keep him away from those areas. He's in the vicinity of the paint the majority of the time that he's on the court. Jermaine O Neal is predominantly a post player.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 04:50:36 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Is Rasho and expiring contract? If he is an expring contract, starting pg and draft pick seem like a good deal for Indiana. Wonder if Larry can get them to take Tinsley?

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 04:54:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Is Rasho and expiring contract?
Yep Rasho is an expiring contract. About $8.4mil.

What did the Spurs pay him again? Was it $45mil over 6 years? Huh.

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I thought so. I think its a good deal for Indy.

Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 06:10:54 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors has been agreed upon in principle reported by Yahoo Sports.  T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th pick going back in return.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiSbbzpirv42eobV3ZtZf0c5nYcB?slug=aw-jermaineonealtraded062508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
According to Hoopsworld, the J.O. to Toronto deal is indeed going to get done. I expect O'Neal to have a return to form next season, there is a lot to knock him for, but guy is going to love playing with Calderon and Bosh. Jump shots from the elbow galore!

"The big trade that's expected to go down tomorrow is, of course, the Jermaine O'Neal/TJ Ford deal. The Raptors are taking one more look at O'Neal, wanting to be sure he's healthy and ready to play big minutes alongside Chris Bosh, but the word is that this deal will, indeed, get done.

The expectation is that the Raptors will send Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and their #17 pick to the Pacers, who loved what they saw from Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy, Jr. during O'Neal's prolonged absence this season. The feeling is that they can build around their other two front court players if they have a good veteran point guard running the show, and when TJ is healthy he's as good as they come. He's also a tremendous presence in the locker room and a strong role model off the court.

Expect the Pacers to use the #17 pick on the best big man available and be happy with the upgrades they were able to make on draft day."

EDIT - Oops, I got scooped. Sorry. & TP to gc1530.

Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors has been agreed upon in principle reported by Yahoo Sports.  T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th pick going back in return.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiSbbzpirv42eobV3ZtZf0c5nYcB?slug=aw-jermaineonealtraded062508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Re: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
Colangelo must be on some kind of wacky weed.  What a horrible deal for them.  Somebody with an attitude problem who's never on the court.  Not to mention complete redundancy of the team's best player.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 06:27:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Maybe I'm being dense but who plays where?  Bosh is at 4 isn't that where O'Neal is most comfortable/effective?  Does somebody slide to the 5 or to the 3?