Author Topic: Jermaine O'Neal to Raptors: Nearing Done Deal  (Read 20268 times)

Re: Suppose the O'Neal to Raptors trade happens...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Bosh and O'Neal together...better have the health insurance premiums paid.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:27 PM »

Offline gc1530

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12

Let me add that I think JO and Tinsley are headed to the Lakers for Gasol, Farmar and filler.

Any reason for having that thought Brick, or simply just a hunch?

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Still an average 40-45 win team that gets knocked out in the first round.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

Let me add that I think JO and Tinsley are headed to the Lakers for Gasol, Farmar and filler.

Just a hunch.  Having said that, it was widely reported that the Lakers were interested in JO at the deadline, and they could really use Tinsley too-- triangle or no triangle. Plus they are a wealthy franchise that can absorb the salaries.

The Lakers have the same issue that the Celtics had last year-- their franchise player isn't getting any younger.  They aren't going to win with Gasol-- they need better post defense. Lastly, Bynum is still too young. While the Laker fans are now touting a healthy Bynum as their saviour, this is the same kid that Kobe wanted desperately to trade in the offseason.

The Lakers need to turn Gasol and Odom into JO and Ron Artest.  Kobe, JO and Artest could win a title if they put their minds to it.  The Lakers as presently constituted have little or no chance.  They should also look to add a couple more veterans like Posey, Najera or Reggie Evans--blue collar guys willing to do the dirty work.  Even Antoine Walker would help.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:34:03 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
<snip>

Lastly, Bynum is still too young. While the Laker fans are now touting a healthy Bynum as their saviour, this is the same kid that Kobe wanted desperately to trade in the offseason.

Don't forget, he's also 20 years old and has already had TWO major knee surgeries - he could be another Bill Walton/Sam Bowie type for all they know.  But I think there's no way the Lakers trade Gasol already - they just got him and they love how he plays in the triangle, especially if he can move to his natural 4 spot next year.  Gasol for O'Neal would be at best a lateral move, and doing it to get an older, more injury-prone guy would be a huge gamble for a very uncertain outcome.  No offense, and I'll eat a huge bowl of crow if I'm wrong, but no way that happens.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 08:16:12 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Just a hunch.  Having said that, it was widely reported that the Lakers were interested in JO at the deadline, and they could really use Tinsley too-- triangle or no triangle. Plus they are a wealthy franchise that can absorb the salaries.

The Lakers have the same issue that the Celtics had last year-- their franchise player isn't getting any younger.  Lastly, they aren't going to win with Gasol-- they need better post defense. Lastly, Bynum is still too young. While the Laker fans are now touting a healthy Bynum as their saviour, this is the same kid that Kobe wanted desperately to trade in the offseason.

The Lakers need to turn Gasol and Odom into JO and Ron Artest.  Kobe, JO and Artest could win a title if they put their minds to it.  The Lakers as presently constituted have little or no chance.  They should also look to add a couple more veterans like Posey, Najera or Reggie Evans--blue collar guys willing to do the dirty work.  Even Antoine Walker would help.

Kobe, Artest, J.O., and Tinsley all in the same locker room.  If there's any way they could add Zach Randolph, Stephen Jackson, and Ruben Patterson, that team would be golden.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38&feature=related

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Zach Randolph would be a good move too.  As for the locker room, that's Phil Jackson's problem.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
O'Neal and Bosh would be fine for Toronto because we have universal health care in Canada.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 12:59:18 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Does it scare me?

NAH.

Remember when NJ traded monkey guts for Vince Carter?

OMZ KIDD + CARTER + JEFFERSON.

Yet nothing to show for it.

I expect much of the same if this trade does indeed go through, which I frankly don't think it will.

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 01:12:36 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Does it scare me?

NAH.

Remember when NJ traded monkey guts for Vince Carter?

OMZ KIDD + CARTER + JEFFERSON.

Yet nothing to show for it.

I expect much of the same if this trade does indeed go through, which I frankly don't think it will.

JO and Bosh could switch off, then no one gets hurt
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 03:29:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
They'd be better off for it but they aren't taking any gargantuan leap.

Defensively they'll still be very weak on the perimeter. Offensively they'll still have no perimeter scorer, nobody who can create his own shot consistently and only their PG can create a shot for a teammate. Still easy to flummox offensively.

Basically they'll be a better version of what they are now. A team that because of it's great shooting and explosiveness is liable to knock any playoff team out in one series (if they get hot) but incapable of repeating the feat the four times.

As for the Jermaine O Neal to be expected back, if he's healthy and stays relatively healthy he'll still be a perennial All-Star talent. Jermaine would be the center, there's no position issue there, Jermaine is a very good center and he'll happily play there with the talented Bosh alongside him at the power forward slot.

Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto?
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53139/20080623/pacers_and_raptors_talk_jermaine_trade/

according to this article, the trade would be O'Neal for TJ Ford, Rasho Nesterovich, and the 17th pick in this year's draft. now i know that even though the raptors didn't do much this year, they have the core to develop and do some damage with, and they gave us some fits early on this past season. given that Jermaine comes back healthy, does having a front court of O'Neal and Bosh make them a top 3 team in the east if this trade goes down?

watching the vain attempts of other teams to keep up with us is a great feeling, but you've gotta wonder what our competition is gonna look like next year with many teams trying to shake things up and rock the boat (cleveland supposedly going after michael redd, the heat either being on the brink of rebuild mode or contending mode, depending upon what they do with wade in this year's draft, and atlanta and detroit have a lot of decisions to make this off season as well)

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
They are trading away a point guard that was hurt most of the year for a pf/c who has had injury problems for the past 3 seasons.  He also isnt the best character guy from what I have seen either.  I think there is a reason they have wanted to get this guy out of Indiana for the past 3 years.  I think he makes the raptors a better team but not a serious competitor. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »

Offline payjo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

[/quote]

Kobe, Artest, J.O., and Tinsley all in the same locker room.  If there's any way they could add Zach Randolph, Stephen Jackson, and Ruben Patterson, that team would be golden.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38&feature=related
[/quote]

I hear Isiah is available to coach....

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
They aren't going to win with Gasol-- they need better post defense.

How arrogant we have become!  If you swap those two valiant comeback attempts (e.g. Lakers take game 2, and C's don't win game 4), the Lakers would've won in 5.  To say the Lakers CAN'T win with Gasol is flat out wrong.