Author Topic: Team USA roster announced  (Read 14344 times)

Re: Team USA roster announced
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Other than Kidd and Carmelo, I don't have a huge problem with it.  I would have seriously considered putting Big Al on the team; who's going to stop him on the block?

Why Big Al? I mean, facing zones, no defensive 3 seconds and no no-charge semicircle I can't see him as a very effective choice. Melo is a perfect fit to play the 4.

I also think that Kidd is the ideal PG, by far. Has he ever lost an international game?

I predict this team to win every game with a +30 point margin if they play team basketball and defense. If not, they better get ready to have their asses kicked once again.

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Fixed? Where did that come from? the officials might suck, but that doesn't mean fix!

I don't know guava_wrench, I feel like the officials are being treated like Rodney Dangerfield, they get no respect.  We all complain about the NBA refs and how terrible they are, and the International refs are pretty much the opposite of the NBA refs, so if the NBA Officials suck, and the International officials are the opposite, I would think the International refs are good.  If the International refs suck too, are there any refs that don't suck?   

In my opinion, the International refs are much  better than those in the NBA: no star calls, and I feel they call the game more consistently across the board for all teams and players.  There is problems with officiating crews being made up of different refs from different countries (I like my officiating crew to be able to communicate with each other while working a game, thank you), and of course as someone else pointed out there are problems with corruption (but have we really seen this in basketball since 1972 which was 36 years ago?).  Some people might think the international ref's suck because they're used to seeing the star calls, and when a US player drives the lane and doesn't get that NBA-star-player-bail-out call they think the refs suck.  I don't know, I personally wouldn't say the International refs suck, they just call the game differently.  They do call it (more) consistently though, which goes a long way towards not sucking in my book.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Lebron James
Dwyane Wade
Carmello Anthony
Jason Kidd
Tayshaun Prince
Carlos Boozer
Chris Bosh
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
Michael Redd
Deron Williams

... and some loser who wears #24 for the Lakers.
they are doomed...
they need role players like james posey, put big al instead of cb3..
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about David West? 

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2008, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If they're going for role players why not a guy like Chris Kaman?  I think he fits international play much better than Bosh or Boozer.  

Big Al would have been nice too.  Imagine Big Al playing in the post NEXT to Howard?  Two unstoppable beasts.  Hopefully next time.  And only 3 big guys?  I guess they plan on playing Lebron/Melo at the 4 a lot.  They might get battered on the boards and not get their running game going.  They're going to be in big trouble if Howard gets in foul trouble, which is actually very likely.

The good thing is that all the starters besides the PF should be above average rebounders for their positions.

If I could choose I would get rid of Wade(duplication) and add Al or Kaman.  I know Kaman is playing for the Germans but if the USA came calling I'm sure he'd go with them.  Germany will be tough with him and Dirk though.
Chris Kaman would have been a fantastic choice for the US team.

Germany? Huh? Didn't know that. I agree himself and Dirk should be one heck of combo. That duo gives Germany a real chance of doing some damage. Hopefully they get some functional guard play and make it interesting. Germany are in the Olympics right? They better be with those two.

No Shane Battier? I thought he as a great role player and fit for the team.
I agree. I thought Battier did a fantastic job. Battier is a far superior player than Tayshaun Prince. I don't know what they were even thinking here. Want a role player then claim the best of the best and that's Shane Battier, the guy who actually did a good job when selected versus the below par showing Prince came up with.

I also thought Joe Johnson did a brilliant job, I'd like to have seen Joe instead of Wade.

How about David West? 
Not so much. Not with Boozer and Bosh going. Both of those guys are better than West and I'd rather have them.

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2008, 07:48:34 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Kind of a shame KG turned down an offer to play on the US team (Not that I can blame him) but it seems to me like he'd be terrific player on the international level with his shooting and passing abilities among other things.

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
The fact that there are no Celtics on the team is actually a good thing imo. Pierce, KG and Ray need the rest. If they played in the Olympics, they'd be out of gas next June.