Author Topic: Sasha Kaun Signs CSKA  (Read 5907 times)

Sasha Kaun Signs CSKA
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Sasha Kaun signed with CSKA Moscow yesterday on a three year deal ending after the 2010/11 season. Their CEO had this to say

Andrei Vatutin, CSKA CEO:

- CSKA always keeps in his field of interests all Russian best basketball players, especially young ones. After the win in the NCAA finals Kaun became one of the most popular players here, but I'd like to mention that we began watching him a few years ago. Good big players have always been a rarity, and Sasha with his excellent work ethic can potentially grow into a player of NBA level. I think that our contract with a promising player who can become the starting center for the Russian national team is a very profitable investment. I am extremely happy that Russian fans will have a chance to see Sasha and the player himself chose to play for our team.

Sasha must not have been too optimistic about his draft hopes to sign in Europe just a few days before the Draft even happens.

I don't know, part of me thinks that he's a better draft pick now. He'll have three years experience at one of Europe's biggest and best clubs playing in big games. Three years time you'll have the opportunity to add somebody who'll be a decent-quality backup center who's got great experience. Not bad for a second round draft pick.

Low second round picks aren't worth much. Might as well take him and hold his rights in case he wants to try the NBA someday. It'd probably be worth moving up to the #43-50 if needs be. Plus anyone the Celtics pass on at #60 they can sign anyway, nice benefit of having the final pick in the draft.

What do you think?
Take him off the board completely?
Draft him anyway?
More reason or less reason to draft him?

I still think he's worthy of a second round draft pick and am more interested in signing him now because he'll have great experience.

Re: Sasha Kaun Signs CSKA
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:12 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
An interesting thought, drafting Sasha in the second round and waiting/watching his development while we hold his draft rights.  The suggestion is so obvious that I doubt Sasha will be there at #60.  Might we then draft Sasha at #30?

Herein lies the dilemma.  How well do we like Sasha's potential, will he ever decide to try the NBA and can we afford to wait three years for a backup center?

If Sasha proves to be the "real deal" we won't be able to offer him a competitive salary until Ray Allen's salary comes off the books.  If Sasha's NBA potential is rated similar to other raw big men, why take the chance on Sasha?

It should be obvious that the Celtic's need to start grooming potential big men candidates for the center position.  While we need a backup center now we still are in the position of being able to wait another 2-3 years with the talent on hand.  P.J. Brown could continue to serve as a quality backup center but he isn't getting any younger and this could have been his last year.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »

Offline Mother

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Sasha Kaun is not really an NBA caliber player.  He doesn't have NBA athleticism nor a polished post game.  I'm not sure what benefits he brings to an NBA team.  He's going to get limited playing time at CSKA, and thus will gain most of his experience at practice - granted with a top team.

I don't think he's the type of player we should be worried about three years in advance of him coming.  I don't see the potential.  If he improves considerably over teh next year, then sign him... and maybe that means showing some interest by contacting him now to start the relationship off on a the right foot, but I don't believe we need to draft him with a second round pick.  I'd be suprised if anyone else takes him with their pick. 

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Who cares?  Why would anyone be interested in Sasha Kaun if Lance Allred were available?  Allred is twice as good and much more experienced.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
An interesting thought, drafting Sasha in the second round and waiting/watching his development while we hold his draft rights.  The suggestion is so obvious that I doubt Sasha will be there at #60.  Might we then draft Sasha at #30?
Herein lies the dilemma.  How well do we like Sasha's potential, will he ever decide to try the NBA and can we afford to wait three years for a backup center?

Absolutely not at the #30.  If no one else is around at #60, sure why not spend it on Sasha.  But that's it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Hell no not at 30!!

Not at 60 either, this guy just doesn't have 'it" and is probably making the right decision going where he is.

At 60, Take upside and size or a PG that has athleticism but questionable decision making abilities. Stick him in the NBDL, water, nurture and teach, add a little hope and see what happens.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I generally agree with all the comments, pro and con.  However, let's not get too simplistic by suggesting that we wait until a big man proves his upside before drafting him.  Drafting well is a mine field littered with risk but good  big men that play the center position are a rarity.  To get the "gem" one must be able to project a players potential early-on because all teams are looking for the same "rarity" and our draft position makes it unlikely that we'd have a shot at drafting a proven inside talent.

The emphasis is not on Sasha, per se, but on potential big men who might develop into a useful starting/backup at center.  This thread dealt with Sasha but any big man could have been substituted.  The question is whether we should begin seeking draft rights to big men in expectation that they may become another Perkins etc. or even something better.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Beyond the merits of Sasha's ability to play in the NBA, the current CBA would keep him in Russia for life. He's not going to play in the NBA at the rookie salary scale as long as he can make much more overseas.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:50 AM »

Offline jayc429

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Beyond the merits of Sasha's ability to play in the NBA, the current CBA would keep him in Russia for life. He's not going to play in the NBA at the rookie salary scale as long as he can make much more overseas.

Sasha's deal with CSKA will pay him lottery type money.  Hard to pass that up.
However, I don't think he's giving up on the NBA down the road.  After all, every basketball player dreams of playing in the NBA.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 01:28:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yup ... I think he'll stay where the money is for now, which is overseas, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the NBA in the not-too-distant future.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 02:22:12 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
When I saw him this NCAA season I immediately said:  "I didn't know Raef Lafrentz had any eligibility left."
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 02:24:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
When I saw him this NCAA season I immediately said:  "I didn't know Raef Lafrentz had any eligibility left."

LOL! Well-said, Robb! TP  ;D
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 03:47:11 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
The guy isn't an NBA player. Drafting him and "stashing" him away is a way of teasing yourself into thinking we might have a good option for the next few years. Lets draft a guy who has a chance to stick, and who we will know a year or two sooner if they can play in the NBA.