Author Topic: Mark Bartelstein : "Walker is a heck of a player"  (Read 24425 times)

Re: Mark Bartelstein : "Walker is a heck of a player"
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 10:26:36 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The hatred really isn't that funny. Toine was a big part of this franchise and he was well loved. Hes a proven winner yet not many people are interested? I bet he could contribute more than BBD.

He won in Miami because of Wade/Shaq.

And Pierce won in Boston because of Garnett/Allen, right?   right.

So what's your point?  ::)

Antoine would be lucky to crack the rotation of most teams.

No.  That would be Glenn Davis and Leon Powe, actually. THOSE TWO would be lucky to crack the rotation.  Davis...'cause he's fatter than Shaq and Powe 'cause he has Journeyman-RolePlayer written all over him. 

'Toine's is the same thing at this stage of his career.  Powe's a lot younger and already plays the 4 the way we need him to play it; banging around inside.

Also, depending on how Doc's "rotation" is defined, it can be safe to assume that Powe has already cracked it and I can guarantee you that it wasn't based on "luck".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 10:27:36 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The only delusional person around here is Bartlestein. His 'heck of a player' couldn't crack the rotation with the TWolves. Sure, they're into youth movement and all, but last time I checked, heck-of-a-players do not warm benches anywhere.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't know if its a freudian slip or not but I keep reading this as "Walker is a hack of a player"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
The hatred really isn't that funny. Toine was a big part of this franchise and he was well loved. Hes a proven winner yet not many people are interested? I bet he could contribute more than BBD.

No.  That would be Glenn Davis and Leon Powe, actually. THOSE TWO would be lucky to crack the rotation.  Davis...'cause he's fatter than Shaq and Powe 'cause he has Journeyman-RolePlayer written all over him.  

Remember that a rotation varies from team to team...Some teams use more than 8 players, and some even use less.   If I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are pretty good he'd end up on a team where he's an integral part of its rotation...

Can't say the same for Fat-Boy and Tough-Guy(Powe)

I don't understand your obsession with Walker. I'm not putting Powe or BBD on pedastals although they are cost-effective and have room to grow as players.

But - to clarify - are you seriously arguing that Walker is the guy you'd add to this team, above any other options (rookies/FAs) that may be available?

Do we really need an overweight, indiscriminate shooting forward that much?

Just seems like nostalgia to me. He was okay while he was here. Now he's gone. And that's a good thing.

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
those vids of walker breaking cats down as a PG with his nasty crossover coming anytime soon?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

No.  That would be Glenn Davis and Leon Powe, actually. THOSE TWO would be lucky to crack the rotation.  Davis...'cause he's fatter than Shaq and Powe 'cause he has Journeyman-RolePlayer written all over him. 

'Toine's is the same thing at this stage of his career.  Powe's a lot younger and already plays the 4 the way we need him to play it; banging around inside.

Also, depending on how Doc's "rotation" is defined, it can be safe to assume that Powe has already cracked it and I can guarantee you that it wasn't based on "luck".

agree on all points, leon is clearly the 1st PF off the bench for KG at this point, and is preforming his role quite well.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
those vids of walker breaking cats down as a PG with his nasty crossover coming anytime soon?
Sorry, crownsy, they're not. And neither are any coherent arguments that counter the points I made other than, "That's what I said and that's the way it is and you're crazy.". That and name calling and ridicule are the only logical arguments being made for why Toine should be brought back.

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I wouldent mind seeing Antoine back.  He has to understand he wont be making much money if he does come back, but he has some things to bring to the table that the celts dont have right now.  He is a big that doesnt have a history of getting into foul trouble which was one of our downfalls in the playoffs.  How many times did BBD come into the game and leave 3 minutes later with 3 plus fouls.  With PJ leaving his a veteran big coming off the bench.  If he stays down on the block he can be an effective low post presence in limited minutes. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 11:23:11 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Sorry, crownsy, they're not. And neither are any coherent arguments that counter the points I made other than, "That's what I said and that's the way it is and you're crazy.". That and name calling and ridicule are the only logical arguments being made for why Toine should be brought back.

ya, thats my sense of it too nick. if the walker in real life could do all the things ive been told he can do with no proof whatsoever, he'd be one of the greatest players in the league today.  :)

This thread has devolved into silliness. so far ive been told that i have to accept everything being said abotu walker being in declien thats backed up by stats, eyesight, accoutns, and reality is false, I've been duped by the media and my own hatred of walker (which doesn't exist, i lvoe the guy. heck, i did that wiggle drunk at collage more times than i can recall) is clearly leading me astray.

I'm all set with this thread, it can only lead farther and farther away from actual discussion of a player and his value to this club and more down the "if you don't wan't walker back, your not a true celtic/basketball fan" path that all these threads seem to go down by page 4 or 5.

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

No.  That would be Glenn Davis and Leon Powe, actually. THOSE TWO would be lucky to crack the rotation.  Davis...'cause he's fatter than Shaq and Powe 'cause he has Journeyman-RolePlayer written all over him.  

Remember that a rotation varies from team to team...Some teams use more than 8 players, and some even use less.   If I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are pretty good he'd end up on a team where he's an integral part of its rotation...

Can't say the same for Fat-Boy and Tough-Guy(Powe)

I don't understand your obsession with Walker. I'm not putting Powe or BBD on pedastals although they are cost-effective and have room to grow as players.

I'm not exactly putting Walker on a pedestal(that's how you spell it, just saying...) either...I'm simply trying to dig him out of the 6 feet of dirt everyone's piled on him. 

My whole point to this is that I do not believe Antoine is done in the NBA.  Simple, yes?   

But - to clarify - are you seriously arguing that Walker is the guy you'd add to this team, above any other options (rookies/FAs) that may be available?

If there's room, he's available, *and affordable*, then it's something to at least consider.  I'm not saying it will happen but just saying it's possible.  that's all.

Do we really need an overweight, indiscriminate shooting forward that much?

What is with everyone and Walker's weight?  You sit there and mock Walker's weight while the C's have BIG BABY DAVIS who practically weighs as much as Shaq and looks like he Swallowed Two Antoines??  Hypocrisy at its finest.  ::)

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
The only delusional person around here is Bartlestein. His 'heck of a player' couldn't crack the rotation with the TWolves. Sure, they're into youth movement and all, but last time I checked, heck-of-a-players do not warm benches anywhere.

heck-of-a-players do not have incompetent nincompoops for head coaches either....Attention Mr.Wittman!!   ::)

And anyway, he cracked the rotation at the start of the season and for the first half and a third, played regularly.  It was only when he decided(and it was reported) to go young all the way that Toine no longer was in the rotation.  So your first part of the statement is incorrect...

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford

very funny.   >:(

I was referring to him as a PF breaking down the opposing PF off the dribble...not as a PG. 

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
My memory isn't that good  ::)
pf who shoots a poor percentage from mainly outside
hasn't met a shot (or grinder) he didn't like
defensive liablity
doesn't rebound
guy who never got into condition when coming into league
I'll take Davis & Powe ANY DAY over Walker, at this point in his career I'd actually take Scal over him (honestly)

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
My memory isn't that good  ::)
pf who shoots a poor percentage from mainly outside
hasn't met a shot (or grinder) he didn't like
defensive liablity
doesn't rebound
guy who never got into condition when coming into league
I'll take Davis & Powe ANY DAY over Walker, at this point in his career I'd actually take Scal over him (honestly)

Don't forget the 8-inch vertical leap. ;)

In all seriousness, I'd bring Antoine back as a towel waver, but I think it's very unlikely that he ever plays a serious role on a playoff caliber team again.  He just looks cooked.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2008, 04:35:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

very funny.   >:(

I was referring to him as a PF breaking down the opposing PF off the dribble...not as a PG. 

thats funny, thats not what you wrote

So BBD can bring the ball up the court like a Point-Guard?  He can pass it like one as well, right?  He can break his man off the dribble, I suppose....

i'll give you that you worded this paragraph oddly, and randomly in the middle of talking about how he could handle like a PG switched to PF  and ment breaking down a PF off the dribble, even though you clearly were comparing his passing and ball handling to a PG at the time.

Can i then see those videos/highlights?

he has an good first face up step off the dribble, but so do powe and davis...a PF being able to take his defender at the rack off the dribble is nothing new. KG is a master at it (but he's KG, no knock on toine to not have those skills) and so can leon and baby. leon murdered odom and gasol off the dribble numerous times in games 2 and 6.