Author Topic: Roy Hibbert - if not Celtics which competitor do you want him to go to?  (Read 5106 times)

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Which one of our competitors would you want Hibbert to go to? If they Celtics don't get him I don't want them to have to face him.

Most mocks show Hibbert going to Utah, but have also seen him going even to Detroit in one.  His potential there  would frighten me.

I would not mind nearly as much if Hibbert goes to the West coast.  A few mocks have him going to Houston or Memphis. 

I would rather Hibbert be a bust in Boston than to shine elsewhere and have to compete against his realized potential for 10+ years.  Worth the gamble at #30 or a slight trade up. 

Big Baby and Powe are nice complimentary players, but don't have the upside starting potential of Hibbert and would be worth trading one of them to get Hibbert.

Rather acquire Hibbert than regret facing him if he lands on a chief competitor. We did not get Oden, but Hibbert could be a nice cheap and low risk concessionary gift who could be the long term star Center that rarely come arouns.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Hibbert is not going to be a star center.  I will guarantee you that.  He just does not have the tools.

I could be wrong about him being a bust, and he could end up being a very solid contributor, but I think the chances of him ever being even as good as Perkins, let alone better are incredibly slim.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
is it ok to say, mancrush?

When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Hibbert would be great for the Rockets. They need a young center to replace Deke and it would be helpful if that player had some talent for when he needs to replace the oft-injured Yao Ming. Yao has even worse lateral quickness so Houston will be well used to that.

Utah would be a fine fit for Hibbert.

I don't know about Detroit. They like quick players who can get up and press their opponent. Their defense has lost a lot of it's lustre with Rasheed's declining mobility. Detroit is a similar issue as to why Hibbert isn't a great fit for Boston.

Hibbert would be a solid addition for Cleveland and Toronto. Hibbert would be a very nice pickup for the Lakers or Clippers. He'd be a decent fit but not a top fit for San Antonio. Hibbert would be a very good fit for the Atlanta Hawks allowing them some lineup flexibility.

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I can see him going to Cleveland to replace Big Z in a few seasons.

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Hibbert would be great for the Rockets. (...)

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=19824.msg315006#msg315006

Great minds think alike  ;D

p.s. - Why so many threads about this kid anyway?

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Hibbert is not going to be a star center.  I will guarantee you that.  He just does not have the tools.

Believe me, if we got him, we would try to make him a starting center in this league, which he could become in two years. Now, he would be backup up Perk.

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If not to the Celtics, then what do we care?!

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
grayjonv: "Big Baby and Powe are nice complimentary players, but don't have the upside starting potential of Hibbert and would be worth trading one of them to get Hibbert."

Powe has value and should be able to stay in the NBA even though he's too short for the PF position.  ButhHis market value is probably not high enough for another team to do this kind of trade without further incentives.  BBD would be lucky to be able to stay in the league.  Why would any team agree to this trade if all we have to offer them is an overweight and too short PF?

Hibbert might not be the best fit for a team like the Celtics, however, it never hurts to be able to move up.  But even in the 20's, we may not get the player that would be able to help us in our quest for #18 next year.  Plus, we will be locked into a contract with our pick.  I really hope Danny Ainge will consider trading away the first round pick so that we don't have to get locked into another contract. 

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
grayjonv,"Rather acquire Hibbert than regret facing him if he lands on a chief competitor. "

I don't think we have to worry about that, grayjonv.  Most rookies that are drafted this late should not typically prove themselves to be much of a threat.  Even if a team like the Lakers were to miraculously get him, I don't think he would play better against us than those young guys that they sent out on the floor during the Finals.  In a couple of years, perhaps he'll be good.  But Boston is in contending mode, so we worry about the coming season and not two years from now.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm not as down on Hibbert as some people, but it's not like he's the next Shaq.  I doubt very much that we have to worry about him becoming a dominant force on one of our competitors.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Roy Hibbert - probably the next Benoit Benjamin
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »

Offline grayjonv

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hibbert will probably be the next coming of Benoit Benjamin and that is not much to brag about.