Poll

What type of player should we be looking for at 30?

Long athletic 3
3 (11.1%)
Long athletic 4
0 (0%)
Center
7 (25.9%)
Best player Available
17 (63%)
Back up Point
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 25, 2008, 08:40:16 AM

Author Topic: What type of player should we be looking for at 30?  (Read 9520 times)

What type of player should we be looking for at 30?
« on: June 22, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Just curious how everyone feels about this.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

Re: What type of player should we be looking for at 30?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:29:45 AM »

Offline Hardcore Fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
The celtics need a backup for Perk.  Assuming PJ does not return, or SP for that matter, we need some length in the middle. Of course KG can play there but what happens if Perk hurts that shoulder again.  Leon and Baby are too short for extended minutes in that spot.  How about the kid who played with Leon at Cal at 30?

This got me thinking, with KG listed at 6'11",(not sure i believe that) when was the last time a world champ had no seven footer on the roster.  Maybe more often than I realize.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
BPA that isnt a PF.

We need a Center to back up Perk. Long term or short term, its a need. We can draft a young Center and hope he works out, if not we need to sign a veteran FA Center.

The other route we can go is to draft a young wing. We need to develop some young talent to replace Pierce and Allen as they decline. I'm in favor of a who can make an impact defensively.

No matter what route we go I wouldnt go after anyone labeled as "soft" or anyone that wont contribute to defense and rebounding.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »

Offline stanthompsonismyhero

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 53
  • The Boston Three Party!
That low in the draft, the C's should take the best player available.  Fortunately, it looks like that will be a center, and as well as Perk played this season, it never hurts to have the rights to an extra big.  Yes, I said the rights to another big, because if the latest mock drafts are to be believed, the best available player at #30 will be a European center.  We should draft him and let him continue to develop in the Euro leagues for another year or two, then bring him over just as the Boston Three Party is leaving their collective primes to bring an infusion of talent from across the Atlantic. 
Curt Schilling: "It's a stupid idiotic comment to make."

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
BPA that isnt a PF.

We need a Center to back up Perk. Long term or short term, its a need. We can draft a young Center and hope he works out, if not we need to sign a veteran FA Center.

The other route we can go is to draft a young wing. We need to develop some young talent to replace Pierce and Allen as they decline. I'm in favor of a who can make an impact defensively.

No matter what route we go I wouldnt go after anyone labeled as "soft" or anyone that wont contribute to defense and rebounding.

TP for nailing it exactly.

FG/.

What kind of player should the Celtics draft? What about a wing player?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I know many people are thinking about the Celtics drafting a big guy, but what about a swingman in the 6-5 to 6-8 range?  If you recall from the Atlanta series, the Celtics had some trouble with their youth and quickness.  The Celtics already have a comparative advantage over most teams on the inside and will continue to have that advantage over the next few years.  In a world where the pre-2007 injury Tony Allen is not returning to that form, it seems like the one "type" of player the Celtics lack is an athletic, mid-sized bench guy that could potentially come off the bench and really produce if necessary.  Or at the very least a scorer -- a guy that was a leading college scorer who could give the team a jolt during those "down" periods they sometimes have in games.  Someone like Chris Douglas-Roberts, though he will likely be gone by the time the Celtics draft.  Or Bill Walker, though his ACL problems are obviously a concern.  But that type of player, generically.  Like Josh Howard, who the Mavs drafted 29th in '04.  At every other position, the Celtics have some youth and quickness in reserve.  Thoughts?

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics are resigning Posey, House and TA, then the wing is very low on the list.

Celtics need to replace Cassell, PJ and Pollard. 

I think a C is number 1 on the list followed by PG and guy to stash overseas.

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
What kind of player should the Celtics draft?

A good one
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
If the Celtics are resigning Posey, House and TA, then the wing is very low on the list.

i agree here...is Nathan Jawaii,the guy who looks like D.Dawkins(Charcoolate Thunder)?If so i saw him playing on TV a bit,looks ok.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:39:42 AM by jay_jay54 »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Ben Pepper, let's draft him again
When you love life, life loves you right back

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213

i agree here...is Nathan Tawaii(sp),the guy who looks like D.Dawkins(Chaocolat Thunder)?If so i saw him playing on TV a bit,looks ok.

If the Cs draft Jawai to pair with BBD, they better restock the team buffet.  Jawai is this year's "Baby Shaq" like the Greek kid the Clipprs  selected in the second round a few years ago.  So far, there's only one Shaq that I know of.   

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I didn't notice this topic before I created a new one:

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=20320.msg315536#msg315536

I know many people are thinking about the Celtics drafting a big guy, but what about a swingman in the 6-5 to 6-8 range?  If you recall from the Atlanta series, the Celtics had some trouble with their youth and quickness.  The Celtics already have a comparative advantage over most teams on the inside and will continue to have that advantage over the next few years.  In a world where the pre-2007 injury Tony Allen is not returning to that form, it seems like the one "type" of player the Celtics lack is an athletic, mid-sized bench guy that could potentially come off the bench and really produce if necessary.  Or at the very least a scorer -- a guy that was a leading college scorer who could give the team a jolt during those "down" periods they sometimes have in games.  Someone like Chris Douglas-Roberts, though he will likely be gone by the time the Celtics draft.  Or Bill Walker, though his ACL problems are obviously a concern.  But that type of player, generically.  Like Josh Howard, who the Mavs drafted 29th in '04.  At every other position, the Celtics have some youth and quickness in reserve.  Thoughts?

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:39:49 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Probably the Best player available.

It's so hard to say because we don't know if GPruit has game or TAllen will fully recover.  If those two turn out to be yes, then probably a backup big(with length) would be my choice.

Offline WedmanIsMyHero

• Al Horford
I see your point, but unless the Tony Allen of old is coming back (anyone know about the status of his recovery), the Celtics will have a big hole at wing.  I trust Powe and BBD to backup Perkins, who I presume will get better as well.  They simply don't have a wing player who can provide the potential scoring/aggressiveness boost that is sometimes necessary. 

Additionally, as the Celtics showed in this past offseason with Pollard and during the season with PJ, it is a lot easier to find a veteran big who can provide some stability minutes than it is to find a young, aggressive, athletic wing player.  Those you *have* to draft or trade for.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
On the positive side of things,i was watching the old NBA drafts yesterday on NBA.tv,and couldn't beleive the guys who had slipped to the 30's in previous drafts.Guys like Arenas,R.Lewis,just to name a few, slipped way pass where they were suppose to go in the draft.I say 80% of the guys who went at the top 20 in some pass drafts,we are saying now,who was that guy,because a good portion never turn out to be what was expected.So,there might be a few good men still available down the road with #30.It may look bad now,but it could turn into getting a good player.