Author Topic: Gary Forbes Scouting Video  (Read 8605 times)

Re: Gary Forbes Scouting Video
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
His lack of lateral quickness will make it hard for him to become a decent defender on the NBA level. Tibbs and KG dont matter when you dont have the tools to get the job done.

If you put a guy with the right abilities he could thrive playing with KG and playing under Thibodeau. Forbes might not be able to cut it because of his physical limitations.

Overall, I just dont think he fits with this team.

If Jared Dudley can make it in the NBA this guy will not have any problems. Paul Pierce is not that athletic and he was a lockdown defender on Kobe in the finals. Danny ainge has also commented,

"He's had a terrific college career," said Celtics general manager Danny Ainge. "He's a well-rounded and versatile player. He played very well in Portsmouth in the camp. He showed that he has an all-around game."

umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052508aaa.htm

Check out this predraft workout with Portland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stjoydSjOT4
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Well, from that video I would say that he is at least as quick as pierce is. If you guys had watched Umass this year you would know that they are an up tempo team. If I recall Coach Ford said that he sort of modeled and got ideas from the Phoenix Suns offense. This means that Defense is not the main priority, scoring is. You can not hate on a guys ability to play defense when the teams main concern is to play an up tempo game. If he has Tom Thibodau and KG working with him his defense will be just fine. He would be a great player to see in Green.

Unless they were playing some kinds of zone defense, it's really easy to assess the lateral quickness of a player. If he lacks it, there's nothing that Thibo or Garnett can do (though he can, but he's already 23 so it won't be easy, as he doesn't seem overweight - a easy way of improving is losing some lbs).  Not saying he can't have a NBA career, just that he'd be a terrible fit in the present Celtics defensive system.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
His lack of lateral quickness will make it hard for him to become a decent defender on the NBA level. Tibbs and KG dont matter when you dont have the tools to get the job done.

If you put a guy with the right abilities he could thrive playing with KG and playing under Thibodeau. Forbes might not be able to cut it because of his physical limitations.

If Jared Dudley can make it in the NBA this guy will not have any problems. Paul Pierce is not that athletic and he was a lockdown defender on Kobe in the finals. Danny ainge has also commented,

Paul Pierce is an excellent athlete with superb lateral quickness, and probably one of the 5 quickest first steps of all wings in the league.

I have not seen enough of Forbes to say anything definitive, but what I have seen has not shown me that he has what it takes to be anything special.

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

Paul Pierce is an excellent athlete with superb lateral quickness, and probably one of the 5 quickest first steps of all wings in the league.

I have not seen enough of Forbes to say anything definitive, but what I have seen has not shown me that he has what it takes to be anything special.

Forbes has an incredible first step and is able to penetrate the same way Paul Pierce did in college. He's an incredible slasher and gets to the line a lot. With Gary Forbes, it's all about the effort he's willing to put in. If any of you watched him at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp (it was on ESPNU a lot) when he shows effort on defense he can be real good.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 02:32:23 PM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think ainge will likely and should trade the 30 pick to seattle for the 32 and 46 and they could take Forbes with one of those picks which i believe would be a great fit for the celtics he reminds me of a paul pierce type with less shooting ability thus far in his career but he has similar athleticism and would be a good backup to pierce or allen in his rookie year i firmly belive he will be a solid/good NBA player

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Shame he didn't get drafted.  Well, keep working Gary!
do it