Author Topic: Gary Forbes Scouting Video  (Read 8647 times)

Gary Forbes Scouting Video
« on: June 22, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32

Name: Gary Forbes
School: Massachusetts
Year: Senior
Height: 6' 7"
Weight: 220 lbs
Date-of-Birth: 02/25/1985
Position: SG/SF
Projected: Late 1st round-Early 2nd round
Worked out with Boston? Yes, June 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfq4vbsgeqA

Re: Gary Forbes Scouting Video
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:09:54 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
my favorite player who should be available at 30, reminds me of a quicker, shorter Leon Powe with a nice jump shot.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:37:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I agree about Forbes.  I've seen him a couple of times, and unless Danny spins a deal for a player like Deng, I think Forbes should be the guy.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I'm not too impressed with Forbes. I've heard his lateral foot speed is not at an NBA level and that will severely limit his ability to play perimeter defense. I've also read reports that his defensive intensity is lacking, and he will NEVER see minutes on this team playing like that.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm not too impressed with Forbes. I've heard his lateral foot speed is not at an NBA level and that will severely limit his ability to play perimeter defense. I've also read reports that his defensive intensity is lacking, and he will NEVER see minutes on this team playing like that.

I really hope by "reports" you don't mean NBADraft.net..that site is a joke

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 11:04:21 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
I pretty much only use DX..

"On the other end of the floor, things weren’t quite as pretty for Forbes. His lateral quickness is already underwhelming, and he didn’t do himself many favors with lack of intensity he showed on this end, giving his man too much space and not really getting into any kind of low defensive stance at times. For someone who projects as more of an off the bench type in the NBA, this is something he’ll have to shore up if he wants to get minutes in the league."

Thats a real turn off for me. Another turn off is his is already 23 and has probably reached his ceiling.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 11:22:28 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
That's not exactly a scouting video; more a promotion video.

As I haven't watched him playing (any footage available in the net?), I think PRIDE has a point: if he lacks lateral quickness and defensive intensity, he'd be a terrible fit for the C's.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8

I really hope by "reports" you don't mean NBADraft.net..that site is a joke

I actually talked with the guy who scouted Gary Forbes for NBADraft.net and he was asking if what he had wrote in his scouting report was correct and it definitely is. He greatly lacks defensive intensity, but I was thinking today that if anyone could motivate him to play D it would be KG. Still, I'm not sure he has the tools to play NBA caliber defense.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I wouldn't be surprised, I go to UMass and I want to say it was the URI game, but I'm not too sure, but Ainge did come to a game to look at him I'm assuming.
do it

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
DA has already worked him out so I'm sure he has formed an opinion on Forbes. Too bad there isnt a lot of news on how his workout went.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »

Offline Rizzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
I wouldn't be surprised, I go to UMass and I want to say it was the URI game, but I'm not too sure, but Ainge did come to a game to look at him I'm assuming.

Yeah it was the URI game. I have 6 friends that work Operations for the Mullins Center and said he was sitting at press row I believe. Wish we could hear what Ainge thought about Forbes.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Well, from that video I would say that he is at least as quick as pierce is. If you guys had watched Umass this year you would know that they are an up tempo team. If I recall Coach Ford said that he sort of modeled and got ideas from the Phoenix Suns offense. This means that Defense is not the main priority, scoring is. You can not hate on a guys ability to play defense when the teams main concern is to play an up tempo game. If he has Tom Thibodau and KG working with him his defense will be just fine. He would be a great player to see in Green.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
His lack of lateral quickness will make it hard for him to become a decent defender on the NBA level. Tibbs and KG dont matter when you dont have the tools to get the job done.

If you put a guy with the right abilities he could thrive playing with KG and playing under Thibodeau. Forbes might not be able to cut it because of his physical limitations.

Overall, I just dont think he fits with this team.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
We definitely won't take him at #30. If we take him, it will most likely be with one of two picks in the second round we receive for #30. Seattle's or Portland's 30's picks. I really like him and have said all along that we are going after him.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Judging by that game footage (the workout is hard to go by), it looks like he has a relatively slow release on his jumpshot, and doesn't have a really explosive first step.  I just don't see him as that great a prospect.