Author Topic: Top 28 set?  (Read 15785 times)

Re: Top 28 set?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 10:34:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
All GMs seem to crave big athletic players since the NBA is a bigger and faster league than college etc.  It's critical that GMs do their homework on players that do drop. Ainge made several crucial errors on dropping players that he had not sufficiently scouted.  The most celebrated being Gerald Green.  He also erred on Pruit who wasn't a first round talent and hardly a capable NBA PG.

It's a little early to declare Pruitt to be a bad pick. And it's not like he passed over great talent to take him. How does Gerald Green and one rookie that didn't get into the games become several crucial errors?

Yeah, I'm not sure how we're labeling Pruitt a bust.  He looked pretty good in the D-League, and who chosen after him was an obviously better option?  I mean, we're talking about a second rounder here.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Question:
  It's a little early to declare Pruitt to be a bad pick. And it's not like he passed over great talent to take him. How does Gerald Green and one rookie that didn't get into the games become several crucial errors?

Answer:
  Hyperbole?

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
All GMs seem to crave big athletic players since the NBA is a bigger and faster league than college etc.  It's critical that GMs do their homework on players that do drop. Ainge made several crucial errors on dropping players that he had not sufficiently scouted.  The most celebrated being Gerald Green.  He also erred on Pruit who wasn't a first round talent and hardly a capable NBA PG.

Yeah, I'm not sure how we're labeling Pruitt a bust.  He looked pretty good in the D-League, and who chosen after him was an obviously better option?  I mean, we're talking about a second rounder here.
RH,im one of the people who was keeping up with Pruitt progression,but after this season has ended,i feel DA should package him with whoever else we need to rid,for a veteran pg,or a big.With Rondo still developing,do we need another project at this stage.I think,we need to strengthen our bench with some one who can come off the bench,with some immediate results.Don't get me wrong either,i think Pruitt has potential,but the need is now,not later.

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
How do draft selections become "crucial" errors?  Usually when players project higher in the draft and Danny doesn't do his usual due diligence in scouting them.  One of the toughest projections is to decide whether a player has the I.Q., mental toughness and determination to succeed.  A players skill level, while generally well known, is not enough because all great players must adapt their game to the NBA.

What oftentimes separates good players from great players is their ability to enhance the play of their teammates (at both ends of the court).  That ability presupposes a high basketball I.Q. and a readiness to subjugate one's game for the good of the TEAM.

Perhaps the greatest pitfall in projecting a players upside resides in drafting a player for a position other than the one he excelled at previously.  Not all players are multidimensional in adapting their play to other positions and in this regard Gomes was a pleasant find.

Pruitt was a mistake when drafted as a PG instead of a SG (at least up to this point in time) as was Marcus Banks for reasons already listed.  Gerald Green was deficient in "grey" matter as well as in basketball smarts. Belatedly we learned that he didn't dedicate himself to improving, a fact noted here as well as in his brief stay in a  Timberwolves uniform.  In this regard, it's hard to get inside a player's brain to project their dedication and determination.

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I can't honestly say whether it is the GM's or just the press trying to second guess everything, and make something out of nothing, but surely some are very fickle

while these guys appear to be rocketing up the board
Jason Thompson (F/C 6-11 250 Rider)
Joe Alexander (F 6-8 230 West Virginia)
Ryan Anderson

These guys are free falling
JaVale McGee (C 7-0 235 Nevada)
DeAndre Jordan (C 7-0 240 Texas A&M)
Donte Green (SF 6-8 215 Syracuse)
Bill Walker (SF 6-6 220 Kansas State)

Walker I understand dropping like a rock as he injured the same knee again, which brings him to the category of complete risk.

While McGee and Jordan are falling strictly because people feel they are a year and more likely 2 years from being contributers, never mind starters.

Sources?  I called you on this yesterday as I could find no legitimate source that had Jordan where you thought he'd be, are you just going on your own insight, or is there a legitimate mock with Jordan in the second round?  I'll bet you 3 TPs that Jordan goes top 15....

By reading scouting reports, listening to the so called "experts" and there are a couple of mocks that he started top 15, but has dropped into the 20 range.

The point of the post wasn't necessarily to say that we will end up with any of these guys (but, one can always hope) The point was that GM's are notorious for letting guys slide, or drafting for need rather than taking the best available player. This on it's own says, we could end up with a decent player at 30. I certainly wont count on it but, at the same time, it could very easily happen. (This is why I pointed to the bowie over Jordan and 9 other guys over PP)

Fact is that in general teams drafting in the top 20, have needs that can't wait a year or two to develop and have to take this in to consideration while drafting. Do you draft McGee on upside or do you take what is most likely instant help in a D.J. White or a Hickson if you need immediate help.

When I posted the other day, I had just watched a Chad Ford interview with a scout and the scout said "don't be surprised at all if someone like McGee falls through the cracks in to the second round" Because there are a lot of teams out there looking for immediate help in what is being labeled a fairly deep draft.

P.S. Sorry that sometimes I take some time to respond but, I have just had major back surgery and am on heavy doses of morphine and still have days that getting out of bed is basically impossible, or I am on so much morphine that I can watch the paint peel with great excitement lol

thanks for the response, don't worry about the lateness, I hardly watch ESPN, most of my NBA news is from hoopshype, who obviously haven't had anything on the dropping, so that's cool - I did have a dream last night that the c's drafted Jordan, though I'm not psychic, so I doubt that means anything - I'm still willing to say I think he goes top 15 (friendly wager?) =)

ps. feel better, that's a surgery no one wants to have, but at least you get some morphine - my dad went through a spinal surgery and morphine was the only thing that kept him from killing someone (if he could have moved of course)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

RH,im one of the people who was keeping up with Pruitt progression,but after this season has ended,i feel DA should package him with whoever else we need to rid,for a veteran pg,or a big.With Rondo still developing,do we need another project at this stage.I think,we need to strengthen our bench with some one who can come off the bench,with some immediate results.Don't get me wrong either,i think Pruitt has potential,but the need is now,not later.

I'm all about maximizing our current chances, as well.  There seem to be two schools of thought on this one: 1) balance winning now with building for the future, or 2) maximize your chances now, future consequences be [dang]ed.

I fall into the second category, I think, and I'd have no problem cashing in any of our moderate-upside players for somebody who would get us closer to a championship.  The only young guy I absolutely wouldn't part with is Rondo; everyone else is fair game (although it would take quite a bit to get Perk).

All that being said, while in theory I'd trade Pruitt, I wonder what his trade value is.  Is any team going to actually give up an asset for him?  I'm a bit skeptical on that; we drafted him in the second round, and I think his trade value right now is probably a future second rounder.  I wouldn't move him for that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Pruitt needs to get some NBA minutes with us before we even think about trading him. I'm sure he's more than capable of running the offense off the bench and he is a lights out shooter. Get him some minutes and let him prove himself.

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47

Pruitt's a tough call. Unless he really steps up and deserves some backup PG minutes I don't see him getting minutes on this team. I guess it really depends on who the celts pick up to replace, House and Cassell. I hope we keep House. He's not a terrible PG and it's not like the Celts have a better option.

Even if Pruitt doesn't work out, at least he was only a second round pick. Not like a Kedrick Brown pick. We've struck gold with two of our second rounders Powe and BBbaby. Can't ask for much more than that.

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
How do draft selections become "crucial" errors?  Usually when players project higher in the draft and Danny doesn't do his usual due diligence in scouting them.  One of the toughest projections is to decide whether a player has the I.Q., mental toughness and determination to succeed.  A players skill level, while generally well known, is not enough because all great players must adapt their game to the NBA.

What oftentimes separates good players from great players is their ability to enhance the play of their teammates (at both ends of the court).  That ability presupposes a high basketball I.Q. and a readiness to subjugate one's game for the good of the TEAM.

Perhaps the greatest pitfall in projecting a players upside resides in drafting a player for a position other than the one he excelled at previously.  Not all players are multidimensional in adapting their play to other positions and in this regard Gomes was a pleasant find.

Pruitt was a mistake when drafted as a PG instead of a SG (at least up to this point in time) as was Marcus Banks for reasons already listed.  Gerald Green was deficient in "grey" matter as well as in basketball smarts. Belatedly we learned that he didn't dedicate himself to improving, a fact noted here as well as in his brief stay in a  Timberwolves uniform.  In this regard, it's hard to get inside a player's brain to project their dedication and determination.

i think the specific question being asked is how drafting Pruitt in the second round amounts to a "crucial error". the first part being how ANY second round pick can be a crucial error and the second being how you can tell at this point what Pruitt is going to be as a pro since he was rookie and had n place to get playing time on a team that won the Title...

they weren't, it seems to me, asking how any draft pick could be considered a "crucial error", specifically Pruitt...

plus, whatever you (or anybody) thinks about GG, he was used in the package to get KG. so i think at this point, we can put "picking GG" complaints to bed...

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 10:57:01 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm all about maximizing our current chances, as well.  There seem to be two schools of thought on this one: 1) balance winning now with building for the future, or 2) maximize your chances now, future consequences be [dang]ed.

I fall into the second category, I think, and I'd have no problem cashing in any of our moderate-upside players for somebody who would get us closer to a championship.  The only young guy I absolutely wouldn't part with is Rondo; everyone else is fair game (although it would take quite a bit to get Perk).

All that being said, while in theory I'd trade Pruitt, I wonder what his trade value is.  Is any team going to actually give up an asset for him?  I'm a bit skeptical on that; we drafted him in the second round, and I think his trade value right now is probably a future second rounder.  I wouldn't move him for that.

More to the point, Pruitt has no trade value.  He is a 2nd round draft pick that hasn't played.  If the Celtics could get a late 2nd for him, that would be a lot.  And his contract is nothing in terms of NBA money.  He isn't even a good filler.

He gets a chance to earn a spot on the 12 man active roster.  He also has a chance of being cut (which I doubt happens) if the Celtics find 15 men better then him.

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:22 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Pruitt's a tough call. Unless he really steps up and deserves some backup PG minutes I don't see him getting minutes on this team. I guess it really depends on who the celts pick up to replace, House and Cassell. I hope we keep House. He's not a terrible PG and it's not like the Celts have a better option.

Even if Pruitt doesn't work out, at least he was only a second round pick. Not like a Kedrick Brown pick. We've struck gold with two of our second rounders Powe and BBbaby. Can't ask for much more than that.

Pruitt didn't play because House was awesome for us this year. i mean, i'm not sure how you can label a guy a bust because Danny made a great FA signing that took any PT away from a rookie. especially on a team that went on to win the Title.

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

More to the point, Pruitt has no trade value.  He is a 2nd round draft pick that hasn't played.  If the Celtics could get a late 2nd for him, that would be a lot.  And his contract is nothing in terms of NBA money.  He isn't even a good filler.

He gets a chance to earn a spot on the 12 man active roster.  He also has a chance of being cut (which I doubt happens) if the Celtics find 15 men better then him.
Ok,i see now.I thought he had a contract already in place,to a degree?I don't keep up on the $$ thing that much,but it is nice to know. ;D

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
How do draft selections become "crucial" errors?  Usually when players project higher in the draft and Danny doesn't do his usual due diligence in scouting them.  One of the toughest projections is to decide whether a player has the I.Q., mental toughness and determination to succeed.  A players skill level, while generally well known, is not enough because all great players must adapt their game to the NBA.

What oftentimes separates good players from great players is their ability to enhance the play of their teammates (at both ends of the court).  That ability presupposes a high basketball I.Q. and a readiness to subjugate one's game for the good of the TEAM.

Perhaps the greatest pitfall in projecting a players upside resides in drafting a player for a position other than the one he excelled at previously.  Not all players are multidimensional in adapting their play to other positions and in this regard Gomes was a pleasant find.

Pruitt was a mistake when drafted as a PG instead of a SG (at least up to this point in time) as was Marcus Banks for reasons already listed.  Gerald Green was deficient in "grey" matter as well as in basketball smarts. Belatedly we learned that he didn't dedicate himself to improving, a fact noted here as well as in his brief stay in a  Timberwolves uniform.  In this regard, it's hard to get inside a player's brain to project their dedication and determination.

As was stated, you misunderstood the question. Ainge is one of the best drafters in the league. What crucial mistakes has he made? How can you call drafting Pruitt a crucial mistake? Even if you consider Green to have been a mistake, was it really crucial?

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

the thing is, though, that "maximizing your chances now" doesn't necessarily mean trading young prospects. if Pruitt steps up his game, he could end up being

A - the reason we can keep Posey because we could give him the whole MLE

B - could actually himself be a big factor in the Cs winning games. he has a terrific shot with deep range and tremendous athleticism.

i agree with maximizing the possibility to win now, but what exactly makes that happen isn't just one scenario. "Building for the future"  and "maximizing chances to win now" aren't necessarily different paths. they aren't inherently mutually exclusive.

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Ok,i see now.I thought he had a contract already in place,to a degree?I don't keep up on the $$ thing that much,but it is nice to know. ;D

he has a contract.  One year left at 700,000.